IGNORED

Why do most DACs come with RCA jacks they are inferior

Need to find inexpensive DAC with XLR connectors instead of those awful RCA jacks . I want to run my Crown amp in the balanced mode and not willing to pay through the nose to get a unit with XLR , the cost of each connector is probably around the same price you would think they would give the customer a choice of XLR or 1/4" or RCA on all units as standard equipment

16 minutes ago, thefullranger said:

Need to find inexpensive DAC with XLR connectors instead of those awful RCA jacks . I want to run my Crown amp in the balanced mode and not willing to pay through the nose to get a unit with XLR , the cost of each connector is probably around the same price you would think they would give the customer a choice of XLR or 1/4" or RCA on all units as standard equipment

FYI

https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/tempotec-fantasia-d-a-32bit-192khz-decoder-dac-external-usb-sound-card-head-amp.html

If the DAC is powered without an earth connection, the RCA float. Quite a few headphone amps accept RCA and output XLR. The chances of forming a ground loop reduce substantially with this setup.

The cost of the balance out varies by design, sometimes the output is a resistor, sometimes lengthy true balanced setup which isn’t cheap.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I’m sure there are “pro” level DAC, and ADC, units that use the XLR connections. True balanced circuitry involves double the electronics (there are DAC paths for both the positive and negative currents).

A smaller circuit, or transformer, can convert a single ended circuit to a balanced, perhaps not without some effect on the signal. (Although it’s commonly done)

a couple of threads down (atm) This DAC is under $1k and has XLR.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

Many of the Pro audio dacs use TRS connectors and not XLR. For space saving reasons. 

Not a fan of RCA connectors. Like  any of the other options. Really liked the Locking DIN Deltron plugs and jacks. DNM used these. 

The Crown are better sounding when driven with a balanced signal.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

4 hours ago, JDRodrigues said:

If you are on a budget, don't overlook the Emotiva DAC on the used market.
XDA-1 or XDA-2 built well and sound great.

pas, have you heard this unit yourself?
Very curious for more info on this.

I haven't. I own a different model from the same company. 

https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/tempotec-serenade-dsd-dxd-32bit-384khz-high-resolution-music-workstation-usb-sound-card.html

A very fine DAC, especially being powered by an UpTone Audio LPS-1.2.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Why would there not be bad DACs? I have several right here. One even has balanced outputs.

Which do you consider bad? — just curious — and on SQ basis or technical basis or cost etc?

1 hour ago, mansr said:

The best DAC within a specific budget may well have only single-ended outputs. It also depends a lot on how it will be used.

Sure. Trade offs in real world. The OP wants balanced which is fine. I have no issue with RCA in low noise environments.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

10 hours ago, plissken said:

The Topping DX7 will work.

The new DX7s looks nice but not cheap enough for me to add to my collection of ESS devices on a whim ... ASR likes it though!

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

14 hours ago, One and a half said:

The cost of the balance out varies by design, sometimes the output is a resistor, sometimes lengthy true balanced setup which isn’t cheap.

The THAT Corp. input and output chips (which are the best available) cost less than $5 US each in lots of one.

A resistor/capacitor output or aka passive/impedance output is a true balanced output.

5 hours ago, mansr said:

Yes, but that only matters if external noise is a problem to begin with. That isn't always the case.

True, but like we tell the grand-kids to buckle their seatbelts. It's easier to do before the problem arises.

Very now item that comes into your house has the potental to add noise/interference to your hi-fi system.

47 minutes ago, mansr said:

The OP didn't articulate why he desires balanced outputs. Perhaps he doesn't actually need them and would be better served with a quality single-ended design.

Actually he did. He wants to was balanced interconnects to his power amplifier.

Only way he would be better served is if his only inputs were RCA.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

10 hours ago, Speedskater said:

Actually he did. He wants to was balanced interconnects to his power amplifier.

Yes, but the only reason he gave for this was a GUTB-like "RCA sucks," which is oversimplifying things. But if he's happy with any old crap as long as it has balanced outputs, that's fine with me.