IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

I converted my extra Supra 8 cable last night. Linking an LPS-1.2 to an Ultrarendu straight into DAC with a USPCB. Previous cable was a DIY Canare star quad with screw connectors. Listened to a couple songs, with the Supra, and definitwly heard a more relaxed and natural overall character. This morning i also noticed sibilance less pronounced and more of a piece with the rest of the music. I wouldnt say gobsmacked or noght and day, but a nice improvement. 

I combined connectors according to charles’s original approach. Given twist geometry of the cable bundles, this also seems to emulate the way you combine wires in the Canare star quad, so made intuitive sense to me. Combine opposing bundles in a star quad twist pattern. 

I also tinned the wires together to better hold them together before inserting into the barrel connector screw terminals. 

Take a night off and look what happens, wow excellent reporting.  I just ordered 3M of bulk supra cat 8 and can't wait.  That and my DIY PoE using RJ45 ethernet jacks with transformers will be interesting.

BTW- I have been using gotham cables (Gac 2 V1) as my interconnects for over 15 years they are outstanding and compete with many cables that cost hundreds per meter. 

Ok, best yet. Nine inch, with silver JSSG soldered from a twist of the shield from end to end. Original wiring pattern (blue/white/green/white pairs to -ve, and brown/white/orange/white pairs to +ve). Ends tinned. Final final version after this pic, the ground wire is twisted tighter and exposed wires taped up with electrical tape (poor man's shrink wrap).

Sounds superb. Bass tight but present, less to no sibilance, everything seems to just fit right into place. 

cable-5008864L5008864.jpg

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

15 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Ok, best yet. Nine inch, with silver JSSG soldered from a twist of the shield from end to end. Original wiring pattern (blue/white/green/white pairs to -ve, and brown/white/orange/white pairs to +ve). Ends tinned. Final final version after this pic, the ground wire is twisted tighter and exposed wires taped up with electrical tape (poor man's shrink wrap).

Sounds superb. Bass tight but present, less to no sibilance, everything seems to just fit right into place. 

Man you’re quick! ⚡️Thanks to you it will be a walk in the park making my Supra Cat 8 DC cables without the usual trials and errors involved! Great work! ?

It’s called working from home. There’s other things I should be doing. 

But man this sounds good. The best I can describe is the cheaper cables with their poE adapter or the barrel connectors, sounded smoother and less fatiguing, but in a way that seemed to veil certain frequencies - almost like a parameter eq being applied, esp up high. The Supra just lets all the music through, the tingling highest highs and rumbling lowest lows, but without any harshness or smearing, veiling or suppressing. Obviously there’s so much we’ve added to the basic hifi of old (computers, switches, multiple devices to render it all) that there’s lots of shielding that needs to be done. The shorter the cable the better, though YMMV. I have a lot of electronics packed into one cubic square foot corner of the house between the hifi and AV in the living room, then all of the server and network components, and my photo office, all in a closet directly below. Makes you wonder what it’s doing to our bodies....

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

30 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Man you’re quick! ⚡️Thanks to you it will be a walk in the park making my Supra Cat 8 DC cables without the usual trials and errors involved! Great work! ?

Glad to see you're ready now to try this tweak.

1 minute ago, wushuliu said:

Glad to see you're ready now to try this tweak.

Yeah, now when the hard work have been done by others it will be a very quick mod to do. No point waiting anymore! ?

17 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

It’s called working from home. There’s other things I should be doing. 

But man this sounds good. The best I can describe is the cheaper cables with their poE adapter or the barrel connectors, sounded smoother and less fatiguing, but in a way that seemed to veil certain frequencies - almost like a parameter eq being applied, esp up high. The Supra just lets all the music through, the tingling highest highs and rumbling lowest lows, but without any harshness or smearing, veiling or suppressing. Obviously there’s so much we’ve added to the basic hifi of old (computers, switches, multiple devices to render it all) that there’s lots of shielding that needs to be done. The shorter the cable the better, though YMMV. I have a lot of electronics packed into one cubic square foot corner of the house between the hifi and AV in the living room, then all of the server and network components, and my photo office, all in a closet directly below. Makes you wonder what it’s doing to our bodies....

Nothing beats working from home! ?

It’ll be very interesting to see how it turns out! I can see that the advantages lies in the different twist rates of the pairs as @wushuliu pointed out earlier on this thread. Intriguing to say the least! ?

Yeah, you got to wonder how it affects our bodies? I choose not to think about it so live longer! ?

19 minutes ago, SuperRu said:

Been there, done that. Now to give it a listening test.IMG_0741.thumb.jpg.279181c1d3e5e31a066d2333fec47bb6.jpg

Looking good! ?

Here is a similar (but non-successful) attempt with a SAT cable that I did many moons ago! ?

1485455080568.thumb.jpg.3f99113cd12eba2f7590fe09d8cd775f.jpg

So my RJ45 magic jack breakout boards showed up today with a RJ45 plug with transformers installed in the jack.  Continuity check with MM from pins 1-8 on the back of the board to the RJ45 pins showed that pins 1-3 connected together, Pins 4 & 5 isolated to pin 4 and pin 5 and pins 6-8 connected together.  Searching further I managed to find a data sheet for this jack.  Pins 1-3 connect to one transformer pins 6-8 connect to another transformer on the RJ45 plug side all pins seem connected to a transformer.  Based on my PoE teardown pins 4 & 5 were connected to DC +, and pins 7&8 connected to DC - (there was no transformer in that PoE).  So what would you guys think the best way to wire this PoE (wish I was an EE).  Seems to me if you want to use the full transformer effect then DC+ would go to pins 1&2 and DC- would go to pins 7&8.  Anyone with deeper understanding of this your help would be appreciated.  Direct wired Cat 8 certainly be easier, but I have to try all options.

5afca2beccafd_RJ45MJschematic.thumb.png.6c116200e004c8493e6e7f2a2ee12bad.png

22 minutes ago, Quadman said:

So my RJ45 magic jack breakout boards showed up today with a RJ45 plug with transformers installed in the jack.  Continuity check with MM from pins 1-8 on the back of the board to the RJ45 pins showed that pins 1-3 connected together, Pins 4 & 5 isolated to pin 4 and pin 5 and pins 6-8 connected together.  Searching further I managed to find a data sheet for this jack.  Pins 1-3 connect to one transformer pins 6-8 connect to another transformer on the RJ45 plug side all pins seem connected to a transformer.  Based on my PoE teardown pins 4 & 5 were connected to DC +, and pins 7&8 connected to DC - (there was no transformer in that PoE).  So what would you guys think the best way to wire this PoE (wish I was an EE).  Seems to me if you want to use the full transformer effect then DC+ would go to pins 1&2 and DC- would go to pins 7&8.  Anyone with deeper understanding of this your help would be appreciated.  Direct wired Cat 8 certainly be easier, but I have to try all options.

5afca2beccafd_RJ45MJschematic.thumb.png.6c116200e004c8493e6e7f2a2ee12bad.png

Exactly what did you buy? Unless I'm misreading the diagram, there is no DC connection between the contacts and the solder pins.

This, its a breakout board with a RJ45 soldered into it. the RJ45 has transformers inside it.  Solder pads are just visible on the rear of the unit.  Pads for pins 1-8, Y LED + and -, Grn LED + and - and shield.  I also ordered bare boards and RJ45 with no transformers so I can see

the effect of transformer coupled RJ45 vs non transformer coupled RJ45.  This may all be moot now with the direct cat 8 connection but these parts were already on order so try I will.

5afcaa53bccfd_RJ45magjack.jpg.8e83345c907f20f2361612c4e02e8219.jpg

16 minutes ago, Quadman said:

This, its a breakout board with a RJ45 soldered into it. the RJ45 has transformers inside it.  Solder pads are just visible on the rear of the unit.  Pads for pins 1-8, Y LED + and -, Grn LED + and - and shield.  I also ordered bare boards and RJ45 with no transformers so I can see the effect of transformer coupled RJ45 vs non transformer coupled RJ45.  This may all be moot now with the direct cat 8 connection but these parts were already on order so try I will.

5afcaa53bccfd_RJ45magjack.jpg.8e83345c907f20f2361612c4e02e8219.jpg

DC can't pass through a transformer (that's why they are there). I don't think these jacks can be used for power delivery.

Hi all,

Well I converted most DC cables here to the Gotham Audio cable and found a way to eliminate a bunch of connectors between the lps-1 and ISO Regen with direct wired connections to the lt3045s. 4 cables were replaced in all.  Things are already improving with use. I'm looking forward to hearing where it gets in the am. As of this afternoon, SQ is at a new high. Presence is off the charts.

Once stable, I'll replace the last wire between the lps-1 and the lt3045s ISO Regen with the Supra Cat 8 when it arrives in a few days. That will tell the story with this whole network cable exercise, at least for me.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Took the Oyaide gold dc connectors off my Ghent Starquad and soldered them to my Supra CAT8 cable. Not the most beautiful job, but it works. Sound is better yet, though haven’t had more than few minutes with it. Bass energy is a bit less, but better defined and more tuneful. Treble is smoother, but again better definition. It’s really of my opinion that these cheap connectors and adapters might be great vfm for experimentation but not for ultimate sound quality. 

Also rigged up a JSSG Supra CAT8 3 pin XLR to dc from my HDPLEX to NUC. No idea if the sound is better (as I added both cables at some time) but since I had all the pieces, I figured why not? It couldn’t be worse, esp in a closet with a switch, power supplies, etc. Fun times....

On 5/16/2018 at 11:42 AM, charlesphoto said:

How much?

DIY. Read the thread please. 

So it certainly appears the direct connect method is probably the best and my Cat 8 showed up today, but before all this I ordered parts for a better DIY PoE and Thursday I completed them and put into my system just to get power thru them.  Last night I sat in to listen to them, 6 1/2 hours worth.  It took what already was pretty good (cheap PoE) and kicked it up another notch.  The whole presentation had a different feeling to it.  The transparency was up again, the dynamics/leading edges up again, the width and depth was even bigger.  The presence of everything within the stage was more solid and palpable then I had ever heard particularly the "other" musicians, not the center vocalist, or lead guitarist, or sax player, it was the edge performers to the side or way back in the stage they had a presence almost as strong as the lead center performer.  This made the whole performance more real than I had ever heard from a 2 channel system before, it was almost erie it definitely had a different feel to it and very good feel to it.  I have to admit this PoE/direct connect idea Rob came up with is the real deal.  This is one of the biggest gains my system has ever had and it already was a very high resolving system.

It took me 2 days to make these DIY PoE's I started with 24ga litz silver coated copper wire.  I carefully kept the orientation of the wires to the same direction so when all was connected all the PoE leads I made ran in the same direction as I took it off the roll.  I twisted these and then added tinned copper shield and a JSSG ground wire then some shrink wrap.  Like this

Below are shielded JSSG wires and wires before shielding and jssg.  I used the tape to keep the direction known

5b008b47f3641_PoEwires.thumb.jpg.62dbdb78ef7b015057e676980e8af100.jpg

Now completed PoE's along with a cheap amazon PoE I took apart to see what was inside-cheap 2 small wires probably not twisted, no shield from DC barrel connector to breakout board.  RJ45 was also not shielded.

PoEassembled.thumb.jpg.20e741d55cb56ecee86f31a1a6b41669.jpg

My PoE had much better shielded RJ45's thou I did not connect the shield to anything, and of course my fancy home brew shielded leads.  I ran a uGreen cat 7 cable between these PoE's and got the results I described above.  My best sound to date.  BTW, these RJ45 do NOT have transformers inside.  I may get to those in the future once I confirm how DC goes thru these, just been to busy lately to do that.

I am going to wait until next weekend before I insert the direct connect cat 8 cable between my LPSU's and devices I power (isoregen, regen and OS SSD).  Then I will probably direct connect some cat 7 to compare to direct cat 8.  I need time for my ears to adjust to the sound before anymore changes, making changes to fast one can loose the base to which they refer to.  Liking what I am hearing so far.

Side note- Rob aka Tubelover2 requested the admins to shut the very large thread over at USaudiomart, he was the one we own a debt to for the power over ethernet idea.  Supposedly he will start another thread to begin further conversation on audio streaming.

9 minutes ago, mansr said:

It doesn't. That's the purpose of the transformers

There are articles on the web discussing sending DC over PoE magnetic transformers they are designed to do so.  I just have not had the time to research more and figure out are these PoE certified magnetic transformers.  If not then you are correct, if they are then it should be doable off the center taps on the network side.