IGNORED

Where do I start ?

Hi, and apologies for what might be a lengthy post.

For several years I have been a satisfied user of a Lyngdorf based system that caters for active bi-amped crossover management, room correction (Roomperfect), digital to analogue conversion and amplification. In all it has, and still is, a Swiss Army penknife of an amplifier (TDAi2200 and SDA2175).

I have recently simplified things by taking the SDA power amp and passive woofers it drove away, leaving the 2200 to just drive a pair of Quad electrostatics.

I still use the Roomperfect software to good effect.

Sources include the telly (via a Humax PVR), an Oppo bluray player, Sony PS4 and, most importantly, FLAC based music files streamed from an Imac to a Raspberry Pi / Allo Digione running Picoreplayer. Music files are either stored on the Imac or streamed from Qobuz.

But I wonder if now is the time to see if I can improve on the Lyngdorf at reasonable cost. The obvious choices might be the new Lyngdorf 3400 (too expensive at £5k) or the smaller Lyngdorf 2170 (at 85w this should still manage the Quads). Not sure if there is much in the way of audible difference between these new, or my existing amps though.

As I do not want to be without room correction, is there another way of going about things ? Can software be run on the IMac that controls room correction filters at source (but then how would this be applied to sound from the Oppo etc.). If there is a solution it would allow me to explore different amplification - for instance I would really like to hear a Hypex based setup.

The Lyngdorf does RC so easily, but I don’t know where to start with other DSP approaches. Any suggestions ?

Thanks

There are excellent software suites for room correction that will run on the Mac.  But, the problem then is routing all your sources through the Mac to use that room correction, which might prove difficult, impossible or involve sonic degradation. There would be no problem playing digital files and streaming on the Mac and using room correction software on them.  Your other input sources could be problematic.  So, it would seem that sticking with your current solution, or a similar newer version of it, would be best.

I do use Dirac Live on my PC with excellent results.  But, it is the only source I use for file playback from my JRiver library or from CD/DVD/BD optical drives on the PC.  I do no streaming.  I also use JRiver for TV watching via a networked Cablecard tuner accessable from the PC.  Output goes from the PC to a DAC via USB, then to amps.  But, this is not as simple to configure and operate as your integrated amp would be.

Thanks for your reply and, yes, I guessed it may all have to come through the IMac. So that approach is a non runner. If I started afresh with amplification, what about something like a digital DAC / Preamp (NAD M51 for example), running a pair of Hypex monoblocks with a MiniDSP running Dirac somewhere in the chain (I guess it would have to be between pre and power amps, would this work ?).

However i have heard that the MiniDSP isn’t the last word in audio fidelity. . . . 

Yes, a miniDSP is not the last word in fidelity, in spite of Dirac Live, from what I have heard, It would not seem up to your other equipment aspirations.   But, offhand, I do not know of another reasonable EQ box to insert into the chain.  That, plus ideally you want to keep things in the digital domain through to the DSP and DAC, but most preamps lack digital outputs.  Additional d-a, a-d conversions are not a good idea.

Similarly, stereo preamps that include competent DSP at reasonable prices are exceedingly hard to find, if there are indeed any.  There is much more in multichannel prepros.  There are a few integrated stereo amps from Lyngdorf, Arcam and Anthem, each with competent, easy to use DSP EQ.

So, good luck in your search.  

• 5 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:19 PM, Liffy99 said:

But I wonder if now is the time to see if I can improve on the Lyngdorf at reasonable cost. The obvious choices might be the new Lyngdorf 3400 (too expensive at £5k) or the smaller Lyngdorf 2170 (at 85w this should still manage the Quads). Not sure if there is much in the way of audible difference between these new, or my existing amps though.

You really may want to try the 2170. Years ago I auditioned the 2200 and was not impressed. But later I tried a 2170 at the same dealer, with similar speakers, and later at home. I bought it. I use(d) it with ProAc D40, Quad ESL-63, and ESL-57.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a new NAD DAC/streamer/preamp with Dirac built in coming about 1500 USD from memory. I use dirac on a Mac plugged into a Lyngdorf 2170 , I find Dirac superior to Room Perfect but YMMV. Room perfect was always a little hot at 2kHz.

i have used misiDSP too, very good and huge bang for buck. On bass is fine, takes some transparency - believe due to SNR - away so would not put it on mid or high frequencies. That being said, a speaker EQed flat or to your target curve will likely soun vastly superior to a very ‘transparent’ transducer that’s all messed up in frequency respond due to the room.

5 hours ago, apple2k said:

There is a new NAD DAC/streamer/preamp with Dirac built in coming about 1500 USD from memory. I use dirac on a Mac plugged into a Lyngdorf 2170 , I find Dirac superior to Room Perfect but YMMV. Room perfect was always a little hot at 2kHz.

i have used misiDSP too, very good and huge bang for buck. On bass is fine, takes some transparency - believe due to SNR - away so would not put it on mid or high frequencies. That being said, a speaker EQed flat or to your target curve will likely soun vastly superior to a very ‘transparent’ transducer that’s all messed up in frequency respond due to the room.

Any idea which NAD model ?