IGNORED

DSD64 or 96/24 PCM When Recorded at DSD128

Sir Simon Rattle and the LSO's recent recording of Debussy's opera Pelleas et Melisande was "Digitized at Recorded live at DSD 128fs" according to NativeDSD.com. https://lsolive.nativedsd.com/albums/LSO0790-debussy-pelleas-et-melisande. However, NativeDSD only offers DSD 64fs, saying that "This particular recording was post processed (edited) and exported as 64 only."

The recording is also available as a download from PrestoClassical in Hi-Res Flac at 96/24. It is also available on 3 SACDs and 1 Blu-Ray Audio Disc (I don't know resolution of the Blu-Ray Disc, but I'm presuming it's also 96/24). https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8361561--debussy-pelleas-et-melisande

Based on the assumption that music should be downloaded in the same format and resolution that it was recorded in, which is the best choice in this case: DSD64 or PCM 96/24. 

Although this question relates to a particular recording, I'm also curious about what people think in general about this issue.

Thanks!

lso-debussy.thumb.png.bd945bdaefa1fffda2e4ef73c9bba086.png

This is the averaged power spectrum of a track from the 96/24 version downloaded from B&W Society of Sound. Looks like it was converted from DSD64. What were they thinking?

With the choice between DSD64 and 96/24, I'd pick whichever is cheaper. The 96/24 clearly captures everything of interest in the DSD64 and then some. 48 kHz would have been plenty here.

Do you have a general preference for the sound of one format over the other in general? Does your setup sound better with DSD or PCM - or does it not make a difference?

That's what I'd go by. It doesn't really matter what "the common wisdom" says is best. Do what works for you.

All else equal, buy the cheaper version. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

12 minutes ago, firedog said:

Do you have a general preference for the sound of one format over the other in general? Does your setup sound better with DSD or PCM - or does it not make a difference?

With PCM I can do room correction, and that sounds much better. DSD can of course be converted to PCM.

2 hours ago, mansr said:

With PCM I can do room correction, and that sounds much better. DSD can of course be converted to PCM.

yeah, I don't think the OP was asking about room correction...

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

4 hours ago, firedog said:

That's what I'd go by. It doesn't really matter what "the common wisdom" says is best. Do what works for you.

All else equal, buy the cheaper version. 

Exactly. 

Thanks very much for your thoughts! I tend to prefer PCM over DSD (many DSD recordings sound recessed and not as clear as PCM). And, while PCM at Prestoclassical is more expensive than DSD at NativeDSD, and both are more expensive than the 3 SACD plus 1 Blu-Ray Disc combination, it turns out that LSO live website has the 96/24 download for about the same as the discs, so I will go with that. 

Thanks again.

Presto often has very good prices on downloads, so it’s worth it to check prices like you did. I often find differences as large as 40% between the sites. 

On 04.05.2018 at 1:53 AM, Rodster said:

Based on the assumption that music should be downloaded in the same format and resolution that it was recorded in, which is the best choice in this case: DSD64 or PCM 96/24. 

It is impossible to answer the question in general case.

There are 2 important variables:

1. Applied DSD converter.

2. Playback equipment and software.

Both these variables should be considered in complex here.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature