IGNORED

audio power supply optimizaton

Steel has decent magnetic shielding, so you don't NEED the thick panels, BUT magnetic materials also have other problems, they can saturate, which does weird things to their effectiveness. Whether this will be a problem depends on the material type, just normal steel will probably be fine for the fields generated by normal transformers. But you DO have to be careful with special magnetic shielding materials they can saturate if close to the source.

There is also hysteresis and energy storage. This can distort the magnetic fields producing higher order harmonics which produce a buzz rather than a hum. 

This is why I personally like thick aluminum, you never have to worry about the problems of using magnetic materials.

As to what to use, I use 1/2" thick aluminum to put under my components. But that is just me, it is by no means a "this is always is the best"

John S.

Much of the difference between Innuos Zenith Statement and ZENith Special Edition seems to be related to its power supply and better enclosure.

• Double-enclosure, linear power supply
  • New power supply architecture designed in partnership with Dr. Sean Jacobs.
  • AC to DC conversion stage in a separate enclosure to isolate transformer vibration and EMi emissions.
  • Regulation stage within main system enclosure to shorten the clean DC power path

https://www.audiologica.co.uk/product/innuos-zenith-statement/

21 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Steel has decent magnetic shielding, so you don't NEED the thick panels, BUT magnetic materials also have other problems

I need stack 3 LPSU boxes vertical (all same dimensions). All have R-core transformer (100VA, 60VA, 30VA) on same end so too close is problem. With high performance PSUs for audio increasing specs to audible millionths, mag. field isolation should be similar range. But equipment space is constrained, and no tools to measure fields.

LPSUs Alu. case skin 2.3mm thick. Rubber feet only 8mm high.

Try wood frame (old cassette tray) for 66mm air separation (ugly).

Have 40mm high cast iron (smoker) box, also good heatsink (then all stack one thermal mass).

Then think of Alu. slab with rubber feet, copper slab/composite, steel slab, or ?

If they good shields, then problem of source for needed sizes (17cm x 25cm x ??) to solve.

Searching "magnetic shielding" yield conflicting rating of metals of my interest so no direction of solution there. No interest in Mu metal (cost & fickle).

Hope experience of CA can help :(

45 minutes ago, tims said:

Heres a good diyaudio link discussing magnetic sheilding:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/154198-magnetic-shielding-aluminum.html

In it they discuss a product called "Giron"; an alternative to mumetal and sold here:

http://www.lessemf.com/mag-shld.html

This LessEMF shop appears to sell everything related to magnetic field shielding from MuCord (low EMF wiring) to an Upper Body Shield!

a279-1.jpg

I actually put Giron inside one of my bedroom walls because the electrical sub-panel is on the exterior wall directly opposite my head when I sleep.  It works pretty well in reducing the EMF.  (I have a meter.)

I put MuMetal across one of my audio shelves.  It does an excellent job of reducing EMF and made an audible improvement by blocking radiation from devices and cables on the shelf below.  It's not an elegant solution but that is not an issue given its location. 

Giron is more expensive than MuMetal.  Neither is very attractive.

What about this one. 

https://www.vitalitools.nl/yshield-mcl61-folie-voor-afscherming-magnetische-wisselvelden

or Google yshield mcl61, is a sort of mumetal but with cobalt. 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

9 hours ago, Albrecht said:

Next we'll be telling each other that our father's smelt of elderberries.  :o

And our mother's were Hampsters:P

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

• 3 weeks later...

Saved tab to read link from CA thread "Excerpted  from The Sound of the Machine
The Hidden Harmonics behind THD" by  Lynn Olson, 1997.

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/FindingCG.html

Interest in sounds of distortion info good, but last 1/3 page has writing about Power Supplies & Noise Spectra. Please read to explain some LPSU (optimization!) issues. Remind me of good John Swenson post. Seem think similar - sound engineering!

sample below,

"The current demand for Class AB fluctuates a great deal, especially for transistor amplifiers that typically idle at a few watts. This means the noise spectra of the power supply (which extends into RFI frequencies) is always changing with the music.
This might be the single greatest advantage of choke-fed supplies; at least the current pulse through the rectifier is much wider and not significantly affected by current demand. It also looks like folks who are stuck with bridge-capacitor supplies (the worst kind) for heater supplies and solid-state amplifiers might be wise to slow down the bridge with modest values of resistance, rather than leave the damping to the unpredictable value of ESR in the first filter cap. This is probably the reason why adding a film bypass cap makes this type of supply sound worse; as a result of the film bypass decreasing the effective ESR, the current pulse is speeded up and EMI emission increased."

31 minutes ago, look&listen said:

This is probably the reason why adding a film bypass cap makes this type of supply sound worse; as a result of the film bypass decreasing the effective ESR, the current pulse is speeded up and EMI emission increased."

Yet many people use low ESR main filter capacitors.

Personally, I find this has a tendency to "harden" the sound with Solid State amplifiers.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, look&listen said:

1st stage regulator is Audiowind LT1963 PCB, but replace old fast recovery rectifier diodes for Schottky's,

Did you notice any obvious improvement from replacing the HER303 diodes ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, look&listen said:

Just finish 3 stage ultra low noise LPSU of new & old parts, so show pictures & description. Also mark 100th post ?

Got nice black anodized Alu. case & hardware (match other LPSUs) (from Slovenia via Singapore to US!).
New 30VA China r-core transformer replace old EI type.
Add John Swenson transformer snubber (JSTS) circuit.
1st stage regulator is Audiowind LT1963 PCB, but replace old fast recovery rectifier diodes for Schottky's, wire power status LED at front panel.
2nd stage is ldovr 1A LT3045 PCB, with Kemet A750 560mfd Alu. Polymer output cap.
3rd stage is ldovr 1A LT3045 PCB, with Kemet output cap (thx to Stammheim/Cornan)
Add switch & wire to choose Swenson Ground Tweak (JSGT)

545222804_7.1VLPSUint1.thumb.JPG.5c2a2e02308332f5eea5ab0bab140055.JPG

Notice Waco ‘Lever Nuts’ (32A) for heavy multi-primary wiring. Keep 1 PCB screw terminal for heavy secondary wire & snubber mount. 1st stage PCB mounts on drilled standups, 2nd & 3rd stage PCBs suspended to good 18g wire & foam blocks. Also drill careful holes & scrape paint/copper to mount caps to PCB. Important must heat sink Alu. Polymer caps for soldering to keep properties good.

Regulator #1 adjust output +8.90V, reg. #2 fixed output +8.02V, reg. #3 fixed output +7.12V, to power USB device.

505402804_7.1VRegsdetail.thumb.JPG.a3280e0525d3f400b065b511e7f50523.JPG

DC cable; 2C microphone connector, Beldon #9418 15g star-quad wire, Oyaide right-angle 2.1mm barrel connector. Shield is wired for JSSS (‘John Swenson Shorted Shield’ (JSSG is not sense to me, so not use it!)). I wait & see on POE/360 experiments.

73905470_BeldonSQOyaideRA.thumb.JPG.822b903b21b253daff2165b4e21c6008.JPG

Now needs time for burn-in & listening to many things in many ways. Later maybe try to put hearing experience to feeble words.

Very nice and well thought of piece of work L&L! ? I would be very interested to hear your subjective impressions after your thorough listening session. You might even want to add another Kemet right at the DC output (soldered to the back pins of the outlet). It is clearly worth a try IME and easy to remove if you do not like it! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

22 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Did you notice any obvious improvement from replacing the HER303 diodes ?

No, only one of many changes together. No fun to try each alone. Did listen to LT3045 PCB (deeper detail), then Kemet A750 cap (subtle) for positive SQ changes on old LPSU. For new build LPSU initial impression to soon for talk.

26 minutes ago, Cornan said:

You might even want to add another Kemet right at the DC output

No, only 50mm wire difference. Think better to put one inside powered device after all cable & close to end use, but different problems. Also, not happy with sensitive PCBs and caps outside metal case in EMI soup!

4 minutes ago, look&listen said:

No, only 50mm wire difference. Think better to put one inside powered device after all cable & close to end use, but different problems. Also, not happy with sensitive PCBs and caps outside metal case in EMI soup!

My point was also to put it inside the case and not outside the case (even if one Kemet on each side of a ~80mm cable without shielding but with distance between the -Ve & +Ve wires improves on the outside as well). As close to the inside pins on DC output as possible. Unless you will use this LPSU specificly for ethernet devices the removal of JSSG might actually improve SQ.

🎛️  Audio System  

On 5/1/2018 at 12:36 PM, Cornan said:

I use EMI foam under selected components, but have a temporarily stalled mind-project where I want to wrap top, sides and bottom with cooper mesh and run 1-4 drain wires from from the tube ends like a giant JSSG or a open back/front Faraday shield if you like.

6BAC636D-ADBE-45ED-A65D-ABE29013FFDC.thumb.jpeg.b2a302032bcd9fd4d5b712e0d9733ddc.jpeg

(Picture is just to show the mesh)

I would be very interested to hear other peoples thoughts about it! ?

Where can I find that wrapping material? Thanks

2 minutes ago, chauphuong said:

Where can I find that wrapping material? Thanks

This project is still temporarily stalled, so I have´nt actually started to look for the material. But after a quick Google for copper mesh  I found this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mallard-Metals-Copper-Mesh-approx/dp/B00XGMCRX2

There is a lot more out there!

🎛️  Audio System