Joel,

Glad I could help (oops, maybe it wasn't me :) ). Priaptor helped me, and I'm loving the effects of the isolation (and/or filtering) provided by the RLI-1. I may try an Acousence GISO for comparo, but for now all is good. I will also wrap my STP CAT7 downstream metallic connector in kaptor tape (as per Barrrows) to ensure ground break.

Joel,

Glad I could help (oops, maybe it wasn't me :) ). Priaptor helped me, and I'm loving the effects of the isolation (and/or filtering) provided by the RLI-1. I may try an Acousence GISO for comparo, but for now all is good. I will also wrap my STP CAT7 downstream metallic connector in kaptor tape (as per Barrrows) to ensure ground break.

Does your computer have a non-plastic RJ-48 connector shell, so that the shield would be connected somewhere?

All normal ethernet interfaces should already have a transformer isolation, either built into the connector, or as a separate component.

For complete isolation, optical fiber pair is best, you can get both PCIe ethernet cards and switches with fiber connection. It is typically used for switch-to-switch connections in larger environments.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I received an RLI-1 today. I bought it on Amazon from a vendor in Japan. I tried attaching it to multiple places on my lan, all with the same result - no signal is passed. I tried bringing down the lan (by powering down the router/switch) as well as the computer it attached to; then attaching the isolator and then repowering both the computer and the lan - same result. I notified Amazon that the device is broken - but of course it is possible that I am screwing up - any suggestions?

I received an RLI-1 today. I bought it on Amazon from a vendor in Japan. I tried attaching it to multiple places on my lan, all with the same result - no signal is passed. I tried bringing down the lan (by powering down the router/switch) as well as the computer it attached to; then attaching the isolator and then repowering both the computer and the lan - same result. I notified Amazon that the device is broken - but of course it is possible that I am screwing up - any suggestions?

It is plug and play. It sounds like it is broken

I looked at both ends - just for the hell of it - and was surprised to see that the male end has only 5 of 8 connections fed by a wire. I looked at other cables and they were filled in completely. If you get the chance - how does yours look?

I looked at both ends - just for the hell of it - and was surprised to see that the male end has only 5 of 8 connections fed by a wire. I looked at other cables and they were filled in completely. If you get the chance - how does yours look?

Same (4 or 5 wires..can't tell). It is also only 100mbits/sec, but that is clearly enough for anything I've listened to, up to DSD128.

Same (4 or 5 wires..can't tell). It is also only 100mbits/sec, but that is clearly enough for anything I've listened to, up to DSD128.

I wonder - my lan is running at 1gb is it likely that this device slows it down enough to stop the switch from communicating?

I wonder - my lan is running at 1gb is it likely that this device slows it down enough to stop the switch from communicating?

Well, here is a bit of tech trivia - the answer to my question is maybe. I can't say that it was the incompatibility of the isolator with the 1gb lan that caused it to not work, but I can say that once I lowered the lan speed to 100mbs from 1gbs (both full duplex) the isolator worked immediately. Now to listen for changes. Thanks to everyone who responded - I couldn't have reached this point without your generosity of ideas.

Well, here is a bit of tech trivia - the answer to my question is maybe. I can't say that it was the incompatibility of the isolator with the 1gb lan that caused it to not work, but I can say that once I lowered the lan speed to 100mbs from 1gbs (both full duplex) the isolator worked immediately. Now to listen for changes. Thanks to everyone who responded - I couldn't have reached this point without your generosity of ideas.

100Mb Ethernet only requires 2 pairs (4 wires) to accomplish transmission- 1 pair to send, 1 to receive. Gigabit Ethernet requires all 4 pairs (8 wires) to be properly connected, so in your case if only 5 of 8 were connected, it makes sense why it works in 100Mb mode :) Enjoy your new gadget!

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

I feel that an update to my findings is in order. I am returning the device to Japan. Careful listening left me feeling that the isolator does more harm than good. I am using a 30ft Cat 6 cable from the switch to the CAPS server, and the cable goes past many other cables and devices so is exposed to a good deal of electro-magnetic currents. This is what led me to believe that the isolator would be a good addition. Strangely enough, it was Michael Fremer's 10 phono cartridge shoot-out that shot the isolator. I listened to all of the needle-drops with and without the isolator and determined that the low frequencies were being diminished by the device, and overall I liked the sound better without it. So bye-bye RLI-1. YMMV

I feel that an update to my findings is in order. I am returning the device to Japan. Careful listening left me feeling that the isolator does more harm than good. I am using a 30ft Cat 6 cable from the switch to the CAPS server, and the cable goes past many other cables and devices so is exposed to a good deal of electro-magnetic currents. This is what led me to believe that the isolator would be a good addition. Strangely enough, it was Michael Fremer's 10 phono cartridge shoot-out that shot the isolator. I listened to all of the needle-drops with and without the isolator and determined that the low frequencies were being diminished by the device, and overall I liked the sound better without it. So bye-bye RLI-1. YMMV

Thanks, I was waiting for some feedback.

Mac mini 8gb ram w/SSD/Mojo Auido Joule III -> Yggy -> W4S STP-SE pre Sage 1-> Nord One Up amp -> SP tech Continuum 2.5

I compared two solutions with standard Cat5e UTP cable recently.

1. Synergistic Research's active LAN cable, which is a CAT6 with active shielding. Looks to be a DC power that creates a shield.

2. CAT7 cable which is shielded with Acoustic Revive LAN Isolator RLI-1

Both solutions reduce listening fatigue and are a big improvement over CAT5e unshielded. The Acoustic Revive is the shit. That thing works like a charm. Highly recommended to get one from a quality shop in Japan. Yohei Kojima at [email protected]

Now, I do need to mention that I am still not going back to the NAS. I did do a quick listen with the Synology NAS, CAT7 cable and the Acoustic Revive into the MacMini and it had a big impact on reducing listening fatigue on my setup. But I still prefer the music on a TBolt drive since Amarra works better that way and loading time of music is so much faster. But the RLI-1 was a blessing for my setup. The only reason I still need that LAN connection is to use the Apple Remote app.

Cheers.

Another excellent and cheap solution you can play with is going to an electrician store and picking up a few ferrite beads. Don't bother paying through the nose by buying brand name versions such as Audioquest as it is the exact same thing without logo as a 99cent one. Take your cables with you so you can try which one fits snugly around the cable.

I am learning a lot these days, but have you ever wondered what those funky cylinders are on e.g. laptop power supplies or LCD RGB/DVI cables......yup ferrite beads. This is probably the single cheapest solution to put an RFI filter on a cable, including USB and LAN. Again every system and personal sensitivity to RFI/EMI is different as there are so many variables. I did not break open the Acoustic Revive, but the manual states that is has an isolation transformer and a choke coil (ferrite bead) in it to help reduce common mode noise.

Cheers.

One other interesting thing, especially for those that are getting inconsistent data rates through the various types of cables is that not all cables are made the same. I have always wondered why there is such a big discrepancy in Ethernet cabling prices online. And there is no real watch dog. You could be buying CAT6 labeled product, which is not even CAT6 but just has a CAT6 stamp on it!

Below is an interesting read of a custom cable termination shop and their analysis:

Is Your Cat 6 Cable a Dog? -- Blue Jeans Cable

Actually there is a standard which a Cat 6 cable should adhere to otherwise its not a Cat 6 cable.

For Cat 6a the standard is "ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.2-10"

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Actually there is a standard which a Cat 6 cable should adhere to otherwise its not a Cat 6 cable.

For Cat 6a the standard is "ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.2-10"

Thanks Audio_ELF. I guess the operative word is 'should' as looking at those test results it makes me wonder if any of the big box shop corporate buyers did their homework and even know they are being taken for a ride...

I went ahead and ordered the Acoustic Revive RLI-1, I'll give it a try. It just makes since with all the noise in my router.

Mac mini 8gb ram w/SSD/Mojo Auido Joule III -> Yggy -> W4S STP-SE pre Sage 1-> Nord One Up amp -> SP tech Continuum 2.5

I installed the Acoustic Revive RLI-1 and like it very much. I thought the bass improved it's tightness and detail. Overall noise is lower and music sounds more relaxed and with greater depth. Perhaps it is the placebo affect but I like it....

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

I installed the Acoustic Revive RLI-1 and like it very much. I thought the bass improved it's tightness and detail. Overall noise is lower and music sounds more relaxed and with greater depth. Perhaps it is the placebo affect but I like it....

Best,

John

Not placebo. This is, IMO, the real deal. As I have said before, these are the upgrades I love the most. Best bang for the buck.

Not placebo. This is, IMO, the real deal. As I have said before, these are the upgrades I love the most. Best bang for the buck.

Priaptor, how do you purchase these things? I found someone on ebay from Japan but worry as it looks easy to counterfeit... Thanks...

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

Priaptor, how do you purchase these things? I found someone on ebay from Japan but worry as it looks easy to counterfeit... Thanks...

There lies the problem. There is one guy I know is the real deal, "joynet" or something like that but I am not sure what he still has. Also, the risk of "counterfeit" is overblown. They have one set of packing for outside of Japan with a hologram and none for those not exported and many think they are getting rip offs but they are not. It would be nice if there was a legitimate way to get them in America. If you can find the "joynet" or something like that on EBAY and they have some you can feel confident.

There lies the problem. There is one guy I know is the real deal, "joynet" or something like that but I am not sure what he still has. Also, the risk of "counterfeit" is overblown. They have one set of packing for outside of Japan with a hologram and none for those not exported and many think they are getting rip offs but they are not. It would be nice if there was a legitimate way to get them in America. If you can find the "joynet" or something like that on EBAY and they have some you can feel confident.
Thanks, there are two on ebay now but not that joynet... I was just in China and saw them counterfeit a damn Samsung Galaxy S4 so wouldn't think it would be any challenge to copy this thing... It's odd they would have a hologram seal for authenticity for exports only? thanks for the added info.. I found the UK distributor online and sent him an email. It will probably be like double the price like many of these accessories that are sold in the local market.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable