IGNORED

R2R DAC owners and lovers

Hello -

I am interested in purchasing a new R2R DAC. Have a few general questions for those that have already made a purchase and use them in their systems:

1. Which R2R DAC did you choose and are you happy with your choice?

2. Did you buy a NOS R2R DAC?

3. Thoughts on the discrete vs. chip based approach to the design?

3. If you could get any R2R DAC what would you get? Currently looking at a Mojo Audio and Schiit DACs. Holo Springs and Aqua were also mentioned as options to conider.

Having read a few threads on this there are definielly many opinions on this approach and are not looking to start controversy. These are questions from someone who is truly interested in R2R.  If you do not like the R2R approach I appreciate that but would like to keep the responses focused if possible.

Thanks for the responses

My System: McIntosh C47, McIntosh MC152, McIntosh MCT450, Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Tube Integrated, Dynaudio Special 25's, Transparent Super Interconnects and Speaker Cables

31 minutes ago, med_designer said:

Having read a few threads on this there are definielly many opinions on this approach and are not looking to start controversy. These are questions from someone who is truly interested in R2R.  If you do not like the R2R approach I appreciate that but would like to keep the responses focused if possible.

R2R is too complicate in implementation. Delta sigma based DAC is easier in design. I'm not sure that R2R can achieve sigma-delta PCM DAC's potential abilities in general case.

But base technology is only potencial abilities. No warranties. Final result defined by several factors: power supply, electronic components, scheme, clock generator, etc.

Read my thoughts here https://samplerateconverter.com/educational/r2r-ladder-dac-vs-sigma-delta

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

• 3 weeks later...

To date, the best DAC that's been in my system has been a R2R DAC: the Schiit Yggdrasil. It's an unusual machine: it takes a few days to warm up aka thermally stabilise and during this warm up period the sound changes noticeably. Also (as per the designer's own comments on another forum) it sounds better on the balanced outputs rather than standard RCA phono outputs.

The best CD player that I have heard was the Marantz CD94. For many years I attributed its amazing sound to its use of the legendary TD1541 chip. But it was also a R2R machine, so that may have had something to do with it as well.

Yes, I think the Yggdrasil is great - the DACS I have been through include ones made by Linn, Stello, Musical Fidelity, Naim and Chord, and the Yggdrasil betters all of them.

40 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

Errrr, I think the Yggy uses a DAC chip and is not a R-2R ladder DAC.  

Hi Solstice380,

In his review of the Yggdrasil in The Absolute Sound, Robert Harley states:

"...Moffatt selected an unusual DAC—a 20-bit R/2R ladder device from Analog Devices (the AD5791)...."

It may be that I am getting confused with my terminology, but from this I came to the assumption that the Yggdrassil is a R2R ladder DAC.

1 hour ago, iansen said:

Hi Solstice380,

"...Moffatt selected an unusual DAC—a 20-bit R/2R ladder device from Analog Devices (the AD5791)...."

It may be that I am getting confused with my terminology, but from this I came to the assumption that the Yggdrassil is a R2R ladder DAC.

You are right in that the Yggy uses a R2R DAC, however it is not a non-filtering DAC like the Holo Spring.

I own a Holo Spring LVL 1 DAC which I very much enjoy. It is a true R2R NOS DAC (although it has the ability to OS too).  I have owned chip based NOS DACs (ie 1543) but the Holo is MUCH better.   That said, I have heard chip NOS DACs that are VERY good.   I don’t think it matters whether it is discrete or chip based, both ways can achieve top notch sonics. I have owned Schitt Bifrost and did a DAC shootout at my place between my Holo Spring and the Gungnir last weekend.  The Gungnir sounded very good but more like a typically hi-fi DAC.  Bass was tighter and things were very focused and controlled.  The Holo Spring was more energetic and alive sounding IMHO.  I preferred my Holo Spring but I could see some people preferring the Gungnir.

I did a shootout a couple months ago between my Holo Spring and an Aqua La Scala and in that comparison the La Scala sounded best.  But it is considerably more expensive than the Holo Spring and this was in a friend’s system that was setup for the La Scala.

The Holo Spring is just an amazing sounding DAC that is a steal at the price.  It easily beats my previous DAC (PS Audio PWD II).

6 hours ago, TubeDriver said:

I own a Holo Spring LVL 1 DAC which I very much enjoy. It is a true R2R NOS DAC (although it has the ability to OS too).  I have owned chip based NOS DACs (ie 1543) but the Holo is MUCH better.   That said, I have heard chip NOS DACs that are VERY good.   I don’t think it matters whether it is discrete or chip based, both ways can achieve top notch sonics. I have owned Schitt Bifrost and did a DAC shootout at my place between my Holo Spring and the Gungnir last weekend.  The Gungnir sounded very good but more like a typically hi-fi DAC.  Bass was tighter and things were very focused and controlled.  The Holo Spring was more energetic and alive sounding IMHO.  I preferred my Holo Spring but I could see some people preferring the Gungnir.

I did a shootout a couple months ago between my Holo Spring and an Aqua La Scala and in that comparison the La Scala sounded best.  But it is considerably more expensive than the Holo Spring and this was in a friend’s system that was setup for the La Scala.

The Holo Spring is just an amazing sounding DAC that is a steal at the price.  It easily beats my previous DAC (PS Audio PWD II).

Aqua has a kess costly R2R DAC, the La Voce S2. This one is in the ballpark of the Holo Spring. The La Voce S2 uses the old Burr Brown PCM1704 chip. Since recently, there‘s an upgrade to the S3 board available that replaces the Burr Brown chip with an in-house designed Länder chip. Have a look at http://www.aquahifi.com/la_voce_S3_update.html

The new S3 is still more expensive than the Holo. I‘ll have my S2 upgraded for sure. I just love those Aqua DACs!

9 hours ago, iansen said:

Hi Solstice380,

@davide256 and @TubeDriver clarified it well.  It is a hybrid approach that uses the AD chip and not a resistor network.  And it oversamples and uses Moffat’s “mega burrito” filter.   So I guess a little of both, but not NOS R-2R ladder.

2 hours ago, biosailor said:

Aqua has a kess costly R2R DAC, the La Voce S2. This one is in the ballpark of the Holo Spring. The La Voce S2 uses the old Burr Brown PCM1704 chip. Since recently, there‘s an upgrade to the S3 board available that replaces the Burr Brown chip with an in-house designed Länder chip. Have a look at http://www.aquahifi.com/la_voce_S3_update.html

The new S3 is still more expensive than the Holo. I‘ll have my S2 upgraded for sure. I just love those Aqua DACs!

That will be interesting to hear.  The Aqua DACs are terrific sounding.  But at $1499 shipped to my door, the Holo Spring is really an amazing piece of gear.  I recently upgraded the USB input module from an older U8 XMOS to the newer XU208 XMOS module ($129 from the USA Holo distributer Kitsune) and noticed subtle/slight improvements in transparancy, detail and high freq/spatial cues.  I was very impressed with the circuit board and general layout of the Holo Spring while I had the cover off for the upgrade.  The ability to handle native DSD (up to 512) and PCM (up to 768kHZ) in a NOS R2R DAC is just icing on the cake!

I absolutely love my Aqua Formula. IME modern R2Rs are the most natural and effortless. TotalDAC is another excellent R2R.

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

I would be lost without my totaldac. Please don´t get me wrong, I do possess other more common dacs as well and like them  for different reasons.

But when it comes to living and loving, totaldac is the one.

Jussi Arvio

Contributing Editor

Hifimaailma Magazine

Med. What other DAC have you heard.  I have the Mojo Audio server and after installing win server 2016, Roon, AO and HQ, I have the most stunning playback I gave ever gotten out of digital.

I currently use an RT Audio USB Orpheus EX DAC. Its a chip with transformer outputs.  It has good extension, clean tone, quiet,  its just a little soft.  It is very no fatiguing.  Its probably a good DAC, but I am being offered a trade in for a Rockna Wavedream SE for a good price.  Kind of swirling the bowl.  Keep very good or go for excelent.  I just wish I truely knew how my DAC sounded.  

Since the Mojo server is so good, I wonder about Ben's DAC.  

I own an Aqua DAC and would recommend calling Well Pleased to line up an audition.  It is the only R2R dac that I have heard in a long time, so it is the only one that I can recommend.

With that said, I imagine that the R2R dacs will not match the linearity of their DS counterparts, but that most will perform better in the time domain.  How much of all this is particularly audible seems dubious to me.  Perhaps, it makes sense to bring in a comparably priced DS model to audition along side the R2R, when you have it in the system.

KingsRex -

Over the years quite a few. Currently I use the McIntosh D150 for SACD/CD on it's custom DIN connector and the Mojo Audio V3 which I just received a week or so for CD. Before that I had used a Benchmark DAC1 HDR. Long before that I either used what was in my CD player or an external DAC such as a Apogee DA1000E with DC power supply.

When looking back at players/DACS I have liked and upgraded from I discovered the DAC chip itself was almost always an R2R ladder and some were NOS. This is what prompted me to revisit this tech. The discrete R2R approach is also interesting but some claim it is very difficult to get the tolerances on the resistors tight and consistent enough to be effective. However, the likes of dCS and others succesfully using this design seem to indicate they have overcome this issue.

Another interesting point on the Mojo v3, the designer stresses he importance of the power supply and how it provides power to the various parts of the DAC. I can say what I am hearing from it is making me happy. Less concerned with spectacular measurements that some DACS have and focusing on how it sounds and how I feel while listening to my favorite albums.

Oh, one more thing. I have read comments on how R2R DACs may have vinyl quality to their sound. The way I am currently describing it is a high quality tape based reel to reel system. I may change my mind on this but for now I think it is a good description.

Thanks for all the continued recommendations. BTW, would those of us who own a variety of the DACS mentioned be willing to write a mini review on our experiences? Might be fun and informative.

My System: McIntosh C47, McIntosh MC152, McIntosh MCT450, Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Tube Integrated, Dynaudio Special 25's, Transparent Super Interconnects and Speaker Cables

Thanks kvik - very comprehensive and detailed list. Clearly missed a few and quite a number that have been discussed here and some other forums.