IGNORED

VOLT+D class D amp , dual mono 2x 60W

• 1 month later...

I'm considering getting one of those but doubting a bit between this one and the Volt+ with stepped attenuator, not sure if I really need the extra power. Does this one sound noticably different than the regular volt+? Also I noticed Allo and its distributors only offer the 19v 3.2A powersupply with this amp, but that is a 60W smps which will not really power the amp to 2x60w, not even half that. So unless I would find a much beafier powersupply to go with it, it would not get much more power than the volt+ when using the same powersupply, it seems. Despite that, I still mildly lean towards the Volt+D due to the better components, but I do wonder how different they are, and how to actually get 2x60w out of it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/22/2018 at 8:18 PM, phalanger said:

I'm considering getting one of those but doubting a bit between this one and the Volt+ with stepped attenuator, not sure if I really need the extra power. Does this one sound noticably different than the regular volt+? Also I noticed Allo and its distributors only offer the 19v 3.2A powersupply with this amp, but that is a 60W smps which will not really power the amp to 2x60w, not even half that. So unless I would find a much beafier powersupply to go with it, it would not get much more power than the volt+ when using the same powersupply, it seems. Despite that, I still mildly lean towards the Volt+D due to the better components, but I do wonder how different they are, and how to actually get 2x60w out of it.

In normal operation you need about 1/10 of thw rated power so PSU at 6W should be enough. We measured current draw at about 250ma only

• 5 weeks later...

I have been enjoying this amp for around a week now. It is truly wonderful. I found an improvement in the sound buy using a 24v 5a ps. Engineer friend expressed some concern with overheating. I have had no problems so far, but have been using this ps for only a few days. Was using a 19v 230w HP ps before. The voltage jump brought great improvement.

I’m a tube guy, so I’m not familiar with digital amps and their clipping characteristics. With the 19v ps at high volumes, certain sharp transients produced a cracking sound. Wasn’t sure what it was initially because of the very detailed sound this amp has. Dropping the volume a bit got rid of that. With 24v, the sound seemed more relaxed at all volume levels. My speakers are an easy load for any amp. They are comprised of two transmission line enclosures—one big and one small. The small one is a quarter wave t-line with a Jordan JX-92 fullrange, and the large t-line has a Peerless 8 inch woofer. Little one sits on top of the big. Using a series crossover—one coil, one cap— the impedance does not drop below 4-5 ohms at any frequency. I have good frequency response in the low 20Hz range. 

Amplification I’m using in reference is a custom modded pair of Altec-Lansing 1570B tube monoblocks extensively reworked by Tom Tutay of Transition Audio Design In Ft Walton Beach, FL. Google Arthur Salvatore’s comments about this amp. A class AB amp and a real sweetheart of an audio device running around 170wrms of push-pull triode power. Two 811 transmitter vacuum tubes are the output devices. One 12AT7 input, one 6SN7 phase inverter, two EL34s drive the plates on the 811s. These amps have the same air and detail in subsonic frequencies that they have at all other frequencies. Best sub-woofer amp I’ve heard, and the best sounding amp in general. 

The Allo Volt+D shares many of the same sound characteristics including the solidity and detail of the lowest frequencies. I was truly gobsmacked when I first heard it. The only areas where the 1570s are superior, is in the depth of the stereo image, and the cost—the 1570s are valued at $10K. If the Volt+D had 150-200wpc, I don’t believe that there would be any difference except that the Allo is perhaps a bit more detailed overall.

I leave the Volt+D muted without an input signal when I’m not listening. This is with a 24vdc 5a ps. So far, no problems. Any thoughts or comments? Source for this system includes a Fulla Schiit using a Allo battery pack for power, or a Scott Nixon Tube Dac+. Speakers are from Ronnie Thackeray at Carolina Audio. carolinaaudio.com  Scott-Nixon.com. Hey Allo—-if this amp is as good as it seems to be, you better make a bunch of them. 

FF3F5BD0-E862-443D-9238-87A0944FCCE9.jpeg

image.jpg

On 12/8/2018 at 10:02 AM, Chinquapin said:

I have been enjoying this amp for around a week now. It is truly wonderful. I found an improvement in the sound buy using a 24v 5a ps. Engineer friend expressed some concern with overheating. I have had no problems so far, but have been using this ps for only a few days. Was using a 19v 230w HP ps before. The voltage jump brought great improvement.

6 hours ago, Chinquapin said:

Hi Allo. I’m looking to build or buy an optimal power supply for my 

Volt+D. 24 volts seems to improve the sound so I’ll start there. What does your amp want to see interms of power. A linear power supply , or a low noise switching supply?

with your setup, the amp may give 72 W of power. Will the device be safe for a longer period of time? 

3 hours ago, HiFiJeff said:

Hello. I currently have the Volt+ but am thinking about upgrading to the Volt+D. Any reason to upgrade? Sound quality better? I have super efficient speakers. ZU Audio Omens at 97db. 

Hi Jeff. I haven’t heard the Volt+, but I have had experience with the Breeze 3116 amps. Changing from the early series to the D2 version runs parallel to what Allo did with  the V+D—-added an op-amp to the input and doubled up on the chips. With the greater power, I heard an improvement in dynamics, and depth of image. I feel fairly sure that the V+D would have similar improvements over the V+. My speakers run at 88dB/w@1meter, and I am happy with this amount of power. By the way, the V+D is a much better sounding amp than the Breeze D2. Zu would jump with the V+D.

• 2 months later...

I'm still wondering what power supplies people are using for best results.  I would seem a good $1,000 Linear with 24 volt and a minimum of 5 amps, maybe more like 7 would be best.  But that is a lot of cash.  There are plenty of inexpensive 24 volt 10 amp DC supplies for $40 something on Ebay.  Does the quality of the PS affect the sound as much as they do with digital equipment such as DAC and Servers?  Am I really going to hear it.  As a full range amp I assume so but I would like to hear from others.  In my case, in the final configuration I am hoping to use these in a biamp situation and they will run the woofers and my tube amp will run the horn or mi/high driver.  They are interchangeable in my speakers.

Hi KR,

I have been using a 24vdc 5a power supply branded Alitov purchased from Amazon for $20. Sounds marvelous. I really don’t believe you need to spend the money on linear power. Like you, my analog instincts had me thinking linear power. I had a 24v AGM truck battery in mind. A lot of expense and bother, that. So, in the interest of hearing this thing quickly—Amazon. I gifted one of these amps and power supplies to Tom Tutay at Transition Audio Design and he said that the Alitov was very quiet. He loves this amp too. He took it to Tom Norton—columnist for Stereophile who was rather shocked as well. Tom Norton now owns a V+D as well as another gentleman that was present that evening. I have two of Tutay’s Altec 1570B monoblocks that have not been on since the Allo went on line. I am using a tube line stage from TAD. DAC from Scott Nixon. Speakers from Carolina Audio and Ronnie Thackeray. V+D would work well for horns. I would go Allo high and low. Shockingly good bass out of this amp.

4 hours ago, KingRex said:

I'm still wondering what power supplies people are using for best results.  I would seem a good $1,000 Linear with 24 volt and a minimum of 5 amps, maybe more like 7 would be best.  But that is a lot of cash.  There are plenty of inexpensive 24 volt 10 amp DC supplies for $40 something on Ebay.  Does the quality of the PS affect the sound as much as they do with digital equipment such as DAC and Servers?  Am I really going to hear it.  As a full range amp I assume so but I would like to hear from others.  In my case, in the final configuration I am hoping to use these in a biamp situation and they will run the woofers and my tube amp will run the horn or mi/high driver.  They are interchangeable in my speakers.

Go cheap Alitov 24vdc 5a ps from Amazon or similar @ $20. Quiet stable power. Use two V+Ds, or wait and get 4 of the upcoming mono blocks. Exciting stuff!

I did some reading.  I think I saw where a linear PS did not sound as good as a switch mode.  I'm not sure if the linear was 12 volt vs 19 for the SM.  I would have to dig around more.  One thing I worry about is a big hunk of junk noisy SM PS such as found in computers is now going to be in my audio power chain.  That is all sorts of high frequency noise.  I don't know how much other think about this, but I have done as much as possible to minimize the impact of these devices in my house.  With this amp I would be looking at adding one right back in.  Kind of repeating my self, but to minimize the occurrence of ground loups I would have to power the amp in the same circuit my Preamp, DAC and Server are powered from.  Selection of this type of device kind of matters.  It should be built with filters on its front end to eliminate contamination to other equipment.  

I went back and read the review in DIY Audio.  He indeed used a 24Volt linear PS and did not like it.

I also thought hard about a computer PS and remembered that 6 or so months back I was getting my server updated.  I plugged my laptop into my audio PS to stream and immediately heard a very unpleasant bbzzzzzzz.  Very noticeable.  I unplugged the laptop PS and it went away.  I put the laptop PS in another circuit of general power in the room and I did not notice the noise so much any more.

If I were to use this amp, I would think I would need a dedicated PS to my rack for only amps.  It's possible to do, but I also spend a lot of time optimizing power to audio systems.  I generally bring a single circuit unless a customer wants more.  2 or more is more difficult as ground loups become an issue.