IGNORED

Audioengine A5

Since the thread is generically titled Audioengine A5, Ill refrain for starting a completely new thread and ask my question here.

Can you recommend a sub for the A5s (I also have a set of A2s in another room Ill be hooking up to the sub occasionally)? I can grab the Audioengine S8 sub locally for around 200. Is this the best option or are there superior subs for the A5s for the same ballpark price? This is solely a computer set up, the big stuff will be in my AV room.

• 3 weeks later...

I was getting reviews on these speakers when I noticed that this site had info.

I wanted to get a set for my bedroom to use with an airport express.

This is not my main system, just a cheapy for the bedroom.

I don't want to spend more than 500 to get sound in that room.

What bugged me is there is no optical input.

Is there an alternative for around the same price.

Or will optical make that much difference given that I'll typically be distracted while it's playing anyway?

Thanks in advance,

AW

NAD: 356BEE, 545BEE CD, PP-3 Phono Preamp, 555i Turntable[br]Arcam: rDac[br]PSB: Image T6 Tower speakers. [br]Apple: iPhone 4-32, macbook pro 15\" (nov. 2010), Time Capsule 2TB[br]

Can't imagine what might distract you from your music in the bedroom . . . Kanto is coming out with a pair of powered wireless speakers that might be what you are looking for that will set you back $500. Personally, I'd pair the A-5 with a Squeezebox Touch (that's a bit over your budget) and never look back. The two sound great together and you can use the Touch/A-5s as an alarm if you like as well.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

I have this set-up in my bedroom, and find it perfectly acceptable. It's hardly up to audiophilic standards, but the prices are reasonable, they look descent and they're compact.

I would also recommend not spending more on a system, as the acoustics in bedrooms tend to be pretty awful.

I looked at the squeezebox before and decided against it.

I've made my investment into the AirPlay technology and can stream throughout my home using the Mac->main Stereo via rDac, Apple TV->surround sound system, and my existing Airport Express->Older Stereo.

Good point about the bedroom acoustics too.

Think I'll go shopping tonight!

AW

NAD: 356BEE, 545BEE CD, PP-3 Phono Preamp, 555i Turntable[br]Arcam: rDac[br]PSB: Image T6 Tower speakers. [br]Apple: iPhone 4-32, macbook pro 15\" (nov. 2010), Time Capsule 2TB[br]

• 4 weeks later...

First off I just joined and am glad to be here as this is my first post.

To bikemig; I was curious of how you would compare the AE P4's with the N22 amp versus the A5's alone as it seems you have both?

I had been curious about the A5's for awhile and finally got to hear them this past weekend in my first visit to a local higher end audio store. Granted this was only for about 5 minutes but I was very impressed with the A5's and I listened with only a Sony Walkman connected to them. I have been interested in these A5's and also in B&W MM-1's and Focal XS and wondered how they compared. Has anyone heard all of these and how would you rate/compare them? I have never heard the Focal's and only the MM-1's briefly in a busy Apple store but even though the A5's are much lower in price than the other two I would not be surprised if they are very tough to beat.

Thanks.

roark

I do own both the A5s and the P4s, which, I guess, makes me an audioengine fan, :). I got them for very different reasons. I used the A5s for a long time as the mainstay of a 2.1 set up for my home theater. I recently retired the A5s when I finally figured out how I wanted to set up my home theater (still a 2.1 set up, though). One obvious difference between the A5s and the P4s is size; the P4s work better for a desktop. Plus the headphone amp on the N22 amp is pretty sweet. That said, the A5s push more air and have more authority; the P4s are more analytical. They did something really right with the A5s which is that that they do a better job of handling less than perfect source material better than most speakers I've listened to. I paired them for a long time with a SB Touch and thought the SQ was great.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was impressed enough by the A5's that I felt that paired with an Ipod/portable player, especially playing lossless files, for around 4-$500 total would make a very nice inexpensive system that I think would be tough to beat using separates for the same money. Have you ever heard either the B&W MM-1's or Focal XS?

Also, did you happen to replace the A5's with the NAD/PSB Image combo in your signature? If so how do you like that combination? The reason I ask is that same higher end audio dealer I visited for the 1st time this past weekend was strongly recommending a NAD receiver/amp for me. I had gone there to hear the A5's and also for some advice on upgrading my small system which is only a lower powered Onkyo receiver and a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Newton M50 bookshelf speakers. I was focusing on the speakers as the Newton M50 were only about $300 new when they were still made. But to my surprise the audio advice was that he thought for my purposes my speakers were not the 1st step but rather replacing the Onkyo with a NAD. I was not expecting that advice but he suggested I bring in my speakers and they could be hooked up there to the NAD and others to hear the differences which he felt would be large. Have you been very pleased with your NAD receiver?

Thanks again.

roark