IGNORED

Audioengine A5

• 4 weeks later...

How much are you looking to spend on these components?

Some good value options in speaker cabling would be Anti Cables, bulk Magnet wire, or solid-core copper cabling from a Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Not too sure about the upgradability of the power cable, and am not familiar with 3.5mm cable options

Having owned the Audioengine A5's for about a year, I would caution about getting too carried away with upgrading the cabling. I would say the money is MUCH better spent saving for better speakers. The A5's are good for the price, but better speakers are a much better investment than cabling in the long term. Just my opinion, of course.

Dear Mamba315 ;

Thanks a lot for the help. I don't know much about the Sound Systems so any help and knowledge would be welcomed.

Let's say there is no limit in upgrading the cables so i would like to learn the top quality material. Is a DAC really needed?

What is the best active speaker system which could be connected directly to the Apple Macbook?

Thank you so much,

Best Regards.

...only for they're price point. At 350 USD per pair they are an excellent value but they're not at the performance level where you'd see a significant change by using better cables. I did do a side by side comparison with my Cambridge DACmagic and Apogee Duet which the Duet won handily. The Duet created a actual soundstage where the DACmagic sounded more like I was driving the speakers with an iPod (probably due to the jittery SPDIF connection from my MacPro). I even did a switch of the stock cables with some Audioquest cable (costing as much as the speakers) with little or no effect.

I'm perfectly happy with my A5s. But, if you're really after better performance, get a better DAC with some jitter resistance. (This new DACport has my attention right now.) As far as improvements from cables go, Dynaudio, Adam or Quad active speakers would be your next step up to see a real difference and that's a bunch more cash.

Best of luck.

Thanks alot, i am very happy with the A5's as well.

For the next level which one is the best Dynaudio, Adam or Quad? Is there any more brands?

I also consider Apogee Duet, heard it is very good. Does this make a difference also while listening to CD's and DVD's or just MP3's? It just sounds strange to take the music out of the computer via Firewire ( i also have a Firewire external hard disc and only one port on the Macbook so should i get a Firewire divider?)

Thank you so much, i am learning alot.

Very Best.

There are Firewire hubs by companies like Belkin. Someone else on this board might have a better idea as to their audio efficacy. You'll find much more choice in USB DAC offerings in all price ranges. The Wavelength Proton is highly recommended by Chris C but it'll cost around 900 USD. But it's probably the best implementation you're likely to find for under 1k.

Which brand is better? Only your ears can tell. As to other brands of active speakers, how much time have you got? Once I found out about them and started looking, I was floored at how many models are out there. Chris's fav is the AVI ADM9.1 which goes for around 3k USD. Active speakers are big with professional music producers for mixing but we computer audio folks are starting to see their advantages. Guitar Center has lots to choose from if you're looking to demo.

As to the sound source, all should see a nice improvement with better audio hardware. Lossless audio files (FLAC, Apple Lossless, etc.) may even be better than CDs since they don't rely on the accuracy of the CD transport.

It's clear that there is plenty more to learn even if you've been doing this for a while. Enjoy the journey.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

adapter for $25 delivered. Now allows me to use one of many hi-end 3rd party IEC power cables I have laying around. I love my A5's as my home office desktop speakers, and will report back on how a nice Lessloss, VH Audio or Black Sands cable will improve them. Thanks for the heads up..nice to be able to tweak these without too much $$.

Note: make sure you order polarized (c7 with one side round, the other side squared) cables or adapters for use with A5's.

• 8 months later...

I would invest in a good quality DAC before putting a lot of money into cables. I agree with the other posts that the Audio Engine A5s are very good but it probably does not make sense to sink a ton of money on cables. I currently use the Belkin pure AV interconnects as well as some Monster cables I bought on a blow out and use the SB Touch to stream music and handle the digital to analog conversion to my A-5s. I'm happy with the sound but frankly if I wanted to improve the sound quality, I'd seriously consider different active speakers or going with an integrated amplifier and passive speakers. One problem is that I cannot audition some of the more expensive active monitors where I live and I hate to spend a lot of money on speakers without listening to them first.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

Audioquest makes all that you need and they have options in all price ranges from $25 up. The one I like is the Mini-1 @ $39 for 1 meter. The speaker cables I recommend from them are the Type 4 which you can get in any length and can get just one as that is all you need for those speakers. One run of a nicely finished Type 4 will be around $90 for an 8'.

If you get it bulk without ends it is even less. The power cable from them is the NRG-X2 which is $59 for a 6' cable.

I wouldn't spend any more on those speakers than that.

Nice upgrade.

David

• 1 month later...

Hi skdmatthews,

I would tend to agree with many of the others here and not get too carried away with upgrades to $350 speakers. Basic inexpensive speaker cables as mentioned. The power cord upgrade might be promising, PS Audio makes a good entry level C7 power cord for about $50.

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/detail/xstream-power-punch-c7?cat=cables-accessories-classics

I would, however get yourself a mini-jack-to-rca 'Y' cable, rather than using the 3.5mm cable. A basic Belkin or Monster cable (Apple store should have them) will probably do fine.

Some here have found a Dac improves their A5's. If you have a Firewire HD, then you don't want to use a Firewire Dac, because of bus contention. Best to get a Dac that has USB input. The HRT line of Dacs are excellent, and start at $150 I believe. They are USB-only. The Musical Fidelity V-DAC is very good @ $300 and has USB, optical & coax inputs.

What is the best active speaker system...

I think you'll find out that in audio, there is no such thing as "the best" of anything. Everyone has their own "best" and they are all different! It's partly a matter of how much difference you can hear and what sounds good to you. If to you it sounds like "the best", then it is the best!

I will, however, second the recommendation of the AVI ADM's (they've since upgraded their line from ADM9.1 to ADM9T). I believe the price is closer to $1900. They have a high-quality built-in dac & come w/ good quality power cords. 100% plug-n-play & a great value (if I'm right about the price). They used to have a US distributor that offered a 30-day in-home trial period. Not sure about now. However, these are not desktop speakers, if that's what you're looking for. They will easily fill a good-sized room with sound.

Does this make a difference also while listening to CD's and DVD's or just MP3's?

Not sure what you mean. How are you listening to your music? Make sure you don't listen to CD's through the CD-ROM reader on the Mac. From a quality audio point-of-view, it is only useful for importing CD's to your hard drive. (Use ALAC or AIFF formats for importing. Also MP3's will yield inferior sound quality compared to importing from CD, using ALAC or AIFF.) If you watch a DVD using your Macbook, are you watching on your laptop, or plugging into a TV?

Also, the audio settings on your Mac are very important. Check out http://www.usbdacs.com/Macintosh/Macintosh.html.

OK, excuse the long post. Have fun!

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

The A5's take RCA or mini-plug (3.5mm) input from the analog source. Speaker wire connects the two speakers.

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

Awesome blog, Weib!

You've inspired me to try and DIY my own power cord. Thank you for the pics and experience!

To the OP, I simply used copper core found at Home Depot. As mentioned, the A5s are great (I'm buying a second pair for my office) but they won't reveal much, if anything, as far as speaker wire is concerned. The copper I found at home depot works fantastic.

Cheers,

Bill

Mac Mini 2011, 60 gb SSD, 8gb ram; PureMusic & BitPerfect; Wavelength Audio Cosecant V3 DAC; Wireworld Silver Starlight usb interconnect; McIntosh C2200 preamp; pair of McIntosh MC252 SS amps run as monoblocks; vintage MC240 Tube amp and 50th Anniversary MC275 tube amps; Krell LAT-2\'s on Sound Anchors; JL Audio F112 subwoofer; Nirvana SX ltd interconnects and speaker cables and power cords; PS Audio P5

I use the Quad 12L Actives and Lite Sub. The cost over the A5 set was another 1,000.00. And that was about a 1,000.00 off regular price. So I think that is two levels above the A5's.

If you can find some to audition, try the Blue Sky EX0 or EX02. They list for 500.00 and are available for a little less. They are powered, not active, amps are in the sub. The A5 are not true active either, amps are both in one speaker.

What the EX0 has ALL these others lack is an integrated controller. This little box connects via an umbilical cable to the sub. It has a stereo volume pot, sub level pot, and both RCA and XLR inputs.

The sound quality is excellent. Especially at low to moderate levels. It does not need to play loud to sound good.

Blue Sky makes larger speaker systems that are better. But all lack a controller and cost more. The controller is sweet. No crawling to adjust the sub level.

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

I remember way back when reading about the Frybaby and wondering if it might be worth buying.

Yeah...I'm that bad.

Cheers,

Bill

Mac Mini 2011, 60 gb SSD, 8gb ram; PureMusic & BitPerfect; Wavelength Audio Cosecant V3 DAC; Wireworld Silver Starlight usb interconnect; McIntosh C2200 preamp; pair of McIntosh MC252 SS amps run as monoblocks; vintage MC240 Tube amp and 50th Anniversary MC275 tube amps; Krell LAT-2\'s on Sound Anchors; JL Audio F112 subwoofer; Nirvana SX ltd interconnects and speaker cables and power cords; PS Audio P5

Hi George,

The A5 are not true active either, amps are both in one speaker.

Speakers aren't considered "true actives" unless amps are built into both speakers?

Rascal

Hi,

Excuse my naivete re cables, but why do you find this product so funny. I mean obviously you think it's bullshit, but why?

A very well-respected designer, regarding some cables he was testing, posted here that he was going to "...run a signal through them for a week or two and see if the sound improves at all."

(I assume he wasn't talking about a really long playlist!)

Wouldn't a product like this accomplish this? Or is it that you think cable break-in itself is BS?

Anyway, at least it has an amusing name. If it doesn't sell, they could rename it the CryBaby. Maybe?

Thanks,

Rascal

...the Frybaby in the context of the entire set of articles, which in summary document that basically one can't really tell the difference between lamp cord and hyper expensive speaker cables (substantiated by independent tests and old articles from Stereophile/TAS etc.). In other words, copper is copper (maybe oxygen free is a bit better...but that's because it doesn't tarnish as fast which can actually screw things up at the connection points. Anything else, like the kind of tinning in the solder and gold or silver plating just gets in the way while it maintains a nice shinny appearance.

Within that context, I guess a burn in with the Frybaby would first have to meet the hurdle of improving the SQ of lamp cord.

Now, of course, my ego doesn't allow me to use lamp cord in my system (too cheesy). I've opted for stupidly expensive Nirvana cables that look really elegant, provide me psychic value and, minimally, sound as good as lamp cord...which if you believe the articles, is basically the equal to zillion dollar speaker cables.

My personal belief is that everything settles into your system through hours of playing music and enjoying it. And over time the whole becomes greater than the sum of the parts.

Self-induced Guassian blasts that rearrange the molecular structure of copper wire thereby creating the same effect as I've described above has no soul...for me, at least.

But like I said, there was a time...

Cheers,

Bill

Cheers,

Bill

I recall my father, when growing up, manically trading out speaker wire and other components until he concluded with his own ears that it simply wasn't value for money, even on the most elaborate/costly system he ever assembled. I've had the same experience in auditioning various cables and in the end, as mentioned above, I feel copper is copper for all but a hypothetical .000000001 difference that, if exists at all, life is too short to worry about so I had a few outbursts reading the article. Great read that confirmed a lot of wonders over the years and many too true and comical observations throughout so I really enjoyed the read.

I wasn't calling the FyBaby bullsh*t so much as it's in no way worth $2 of the $250 they were asking for the device back in the 80s, per my own wallet; so it tickles me that, not only were they charging $250, but that the gadget existed at all, and to top it they call is "FryBaby". Love it. I like you're idea of "CryBaby" as well.

The definition of an active speaker is that the crossover runs a line level (or may be digital/DSP based) and then each driver is driven by a separate amplifier.

If the speaker has an inbuilt amplifier it is a powered speaker.

An active speaker system doesn't actually have to be self powered: the crossover and amplifiers can be external to the speaker cabinet such as in Naim and Linn setups and many PA type systems. Most of the time when talking about an active speaker it is considered a speaker with multiple built in amplifiers to power each transducer (speaker driver).

The AudioEngine A5 is not a true active speaker as there are not separate amplifiers for the tweeter and woofer.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.