IGNORED

Need recomendations for a small subwoofer

Im looking to add a subwoofer to my setup , my setup consists of a music hall 25.5 tube dac, trends audio t-amp paired with whiplash ion single driver speakers http://www.cryo-parts.com/whiplash_audio_speakers.html

I want to add a subwoofer to this set-up and it seems the best way to connect a sub to my setup would be to split the rca outputs from my DAC so one set goes to my t-amp and the other to the active subwoofer.

My room size is 12x14x10 and I only listen at low to medium volumes fom about 7-8ft away. Ive narrowed down the these features I want the sub to have

1. Active (aka powered subwoofers)

2. Class D amplification (Ive read this will match better since my amp is class D)

3. adjustable crossover frequency, so I can match the sound to be more seamless with my speakers

4. Small size , I dont need alot of bass or really loud bass, I think maybe a 5-6.5" woofer should do

5.Id like to spend less than 200 but I can push that up to 250, ill be looking for a used one so if I dont like it I can sell it without a big hit to my wallet

Ive been looking around a bit and Ive only fund one sub that fits my specs the Nuforce w-1 but id like to get more options.

I would appreciate and recommendations for a sub or any suggestions.

thanks in advance

Hi Kawai_man,

I took a quick look at the NuForce W-1 unit. It’s not exactly a sub suitable for listening to music 7 to 8 feet away from your speakers. I think it’s more of a “bass extender” designed for a desktop listening environment (maybe 1 to 3 feet from you). 6moons has a review on the NuForce and they wrote...“The NuForce W-1 is a bass extender. In the original hifi sense of full range, it's far from a subwoofer.”

Link: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nuforce9/sub.html

In the $200 to $250 range, you will be challenged to find an active musical sub to complement your Whiplash speakers. Btw, they look very interesting and compelling at that price point. However, I think challenges can be a fun and rewarding part of this hobby. Most people have a budget (I certainly do), and developing a system that maximizes the respective budget can be thrilling. Having money left over for lots of music can be even better!

All things considered, you may find the Audioengine S8 to be a nice complement with your Whiplash speakers. Of course, pricing is an issue. I like your openness to buying used. New, the S8 will sell for about $349. However, you may be able to find one used even though it’s a recent product offering. You can check Audiogon (I already did...take a look), and if you don’t find what you are looking for, you can also post in the wanted section.

This is just my 2 cents. In the end, your ears will tell you what’s best for your needs. Good luck with your hunt!

Cheers,

Chris

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/