IGNORED

Need Help with Lynx AES 16e Installation

I have been running a music server based on a Cambridge Dac Magic DAC with a Small form factor computer I built. I have been using USB running to the Cambridge DAC from the computer. I am in the process of upgrading the Music Server by using the 16e Lynx card running into a Bryston BDA-1. I have encountered a serious problem installing the Lynx Card. A descrition of the installation below.

I have an Intel DG45FC motherboard with an Intel E8400 processor, 4 gigabytes of ram, all installed inside a jou jye 528i case (Evercase in the U.S. market) with 220 watt power supply. This configeration works fine when running usb to the Dac Magic. The DG45FC board has one PCIE X 1 slot available. I have tried to use this slot to upgrade the sound with a Lynx AES 16E sound card which I plan to run into the Bryston BDA-1. I am using a flexible pcie riser to do a horizontal installation above the mother board. However, when I connect the soundcard to the motherboard the computer immediately goes into thermal proctection mode and turns on but does not boot and then turns off. When I attempt to restart the computer a siren sounds and the computer again shuts off in the same manner. When I remove the Lynx card the computer resumes normal operation. The computer is not generating anymore heat when I insert the Lynx board. In fact it does the same shut off routine even when I connect the card and hold it outside the case.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I don't have a solution, but I can tell you that your not alone. This happen to me with one motherboard. I put the card in and it freaked out the system. I took the card out the everything was fine. I placed a firewire card in and that was fine. I called the MB people and Lynx and no luck with a solution. I tried the card in another machine and it was fine. Pretty sure I tried the flex with boths cards so it was not that. I just gave up on it....

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

Hi yardbird4 - This is a tough one. The first workaround that comes to mind id turning off any auto-shutdown or temperature sensors in the BIOS of the motherboard. Since you know it's not really over heating.

Do you have the newest firmware for you motherboard?

What happens if you plug the card directly into the board? I'm guessing you may have to leave the case off or something just to run this test.

Are there any other BIOS adjustments that might help?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Chris and Jesus I am reporting back on the solution to my problem. Chris your suggestions re: firmware and bios were not the solution but helped to lead me to the answer. I checked the firmware on the Intel support page and that was ok. The bios were badly out of date and I did an update on that. Still could not install the card due to thermal shutdown. However, in looking through the bios settings to see if anything was amiss I noted that the thermal margin for the cpu was zero. I downloaded windows desktop utilities which cofirmed this reading. This led me to conclude that although the computer was operating without any indication of a problem, when I added the lynx 16aes card this pushed the cpu past its operating point and caused a thermal shut down. Since I was operating in a small form factor with the footprint of a sheet of notebook paper, I concluded that I needed to upgrade the case and use a case fan in addition to the stock intel core duo 2 cpu fan. This is particularly true since the computer sits really close to two monoblock class A amps that generate a lot of heat.

I purchased a Silverstone SG06 with a 120mm case fan. I installed my old system inside this case and also removed and examined the stock intel cpu heat sink and fan. This heat sink/fan comes with pre-applied thermal paste. I don't know what the paste was or its effectiveness but it did not cover the entire top of the processor but only in lines in three places. Although this was my first computer build I knew this was not good so I removed the paste and applied Artic Silver 5 thermal paste to the entire top of the processor. I also added a passive heat sink to the Southbridge ICH. This fixed the problem. I was able to install the Lynx Soundcard and drivers. The Cpu now settles in at a thermal margin of 41. The entire motherboard runs cooler. The Cpu cooler spins at 950 and the case or intake fan spins at around 650. No sound unless I put my ear to the computer.

By the way Jesus, please report to your associate (I don't remember her name) that the Cardas AES/EBU cable I purchased through Sonore sounds great even though It has not been burned in (couple of three hours playing time). Both the cable and the Bryston BDA 1 went into service at the same time. The sound is outstanding and will only get better for some time to come. It easily matches (perhaps betters ... need a little more time to evaluate) my Meridian G08 CD player, which I sold to finance the purchase of the Bryston BDA 1. Not an ounce of sellers or buyers remorse.

Thanks guys

Larry

Hey Chris and Jesus I am reporting back on the solution to my problem. Chris your suggestions re: firmware and bios were not the solution but helped to lead me to the answer. I checked the firmware on the Intel support page and that was ok. The bios were badly out of date and I did an update on that. Still could not install the card due to thermal shutdown. However, in looking through the bios settings to see if anything was amiss I noted that the thermal margin for the cpu was zero. I downloaded windows desktop utilities which cofirmed this reading. This led me to conclude that although the computer was operating without any indication of a problem, when I added the lynx 16aes card this pushed the cpu past its operating point and caused a thermal shut down. Since I was operating in a small form factor with the footprint of a sheet of notebook paper, I concluded that I needed to upgrade the case and use a case fan in addition to the stock intel core duo 2 cpu fan. This is particularly true since the computer sits really close to two monoblock class A amps that generate a lot of heat.

I purchased a Silverstone SG06 with a 120mm case fan. I installed my old system inside this case and also removed and examined the stock intel cpu heat sink and fan. This heat sink/fan comes with pre-applied thermal paste. I don't know what the paste was or its effectiveness but it did not cover the entire top of the processor but only in lines in three places. Although this was my first computer build I knew this was not good so I removed the paste and applied Artic Silver 5 thermal paste to the entire top of the processor. I also added a passive heat sink to the Southbridge ICH. This fixed the problem. I was able to install the Lynx Soundcard and drivers. The Cpu now settles in at a thermal margin of 41. The entire motherboard runs cooler. The Cpu cooler spins at 950 and the case or intake fan spins at around 650. No sound unless I put my ear to the computer.

By the way Jesus, please report to your associate (I don't remember her name) that the Cardas AES/EBU cable I purchased through Sonore sounds great even though It has not been burned in (couple of three hours playing time). Both the cable and the Bryston BDA 1 went into service at the same time. The sound is outstanding and will only get better for some time to come. It easily matches (perhaps betters ... need a little more time to evaluate) my Meridian G08 CD player, which I sold to finance the purchase of the Bryston BDA 1. Not an ounce of sellers or buyers remorse.