Folks,

I’m interested in FPGA DACs specifically.  Does anyone have a list of FPGA DACs available today?

(I’m aware of only PS Audio and Chord).

Thanks in advance.

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

Playback Designs

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 hours ago, Fokus said:

I thought the first RingDAC was made with discrete logic. My memory’s eye sees a large board full of chips.

But there could have been an FPGA in there, yes.

They still have separate flip-flops to deal with the switching (for good reasons), but FPGA was/is driving the show.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Metrum Acoustics uses FPGA in their R2R ladder converters.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Those are just ordinary ESS Sabre based DACs...

I guess that depends on what is meant by a "FPGA DAC".  As I understand it, the Mirus uses both FPGA and 9028 chips.

To my ears, nothing ordinary about the  results though....

49 minutes ago, Norton said:

I guess that depends on what is meant by a "FPGA DAC".  As I understand it, the Mirus uses both FPGA and 9028 chips.

By that definition, then there are a lot of "FPGA DACs", because FPGA is commonly used for routing and interfacing digital signals. Like in the case you describe. Then for example all RME Audio gear can be counted in as well as numerous others. Soon it then becomes easier to list DACs that don't have FPGA.

2 minutes ago, diecaster said:

The OP should clarify, but I don't believe he wanted a list of DACs that included FPGA chips. I think he wanted a list of DACs that did not have traditional DAC chips and instead used one or more FPGA to handle the D to A conversion.

That's how I understood it too... Especially based on the examples he gave...

Although I don't know why it would matter if it is FPGA or some other approach to avoid using COTS DAC chips. Just referring to for example my DSC1 as an example.

35 minutes ago, diecaster said:

instead used one or more FPGA to handle the D to A conversion.

Is it the FPGA itself that is converting D to A? In particular the A.

Is there a separate analogue output stage in Mojo or is that derived directly from the FPGA?

Absolutely. An FPGA is entirely digital and cannot have analogue outputs. This is done with discrete components (flip flops, resistors, capacitors and separate reference circuitry). Doing the analogue discretely has big benefits. In designing silicon DACs there are enormous problems - the clock has to be distributed, and this increases jitter, the substrate injects noise and distortion into the analogue parts, the reference circuitry can't have low enough impedance and is noisy, resistors are non-linear, capacitors are non-linear too. None of these problems apply with discrete DACs.

http://www.the-ear.net/how-to/rob-watts-chord-mojo-tech

24 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Is it the FPGA itself that is converting D to A? In particular the A.

Is there a separate analogue output stage in Mojo or is that derived directly from the FPGA?

Absolutely. An FPGA is entirely digital and cannot have analogue outputs. This is done with discrete components (flip flops, resistors, capacitors and separate reference circuitry). Doing the analogue discretely has big benefits. In designing silicon DACs there are enormous problems - the clock has to be distributed, and this increases jitter, the substrate injects noise and distortion into the analogue parts, the reference circuitry can't have low enough impedance and is noisy, resistors are non-linear, capacitors are non-linear too. None of these problems apply with discrete DACs.

http://www.the-ear.net/how-to/rob-watts-chord-mojo-tech

Okay, you are being unnecessarily pedantic.