IGNORED

CD library software not for streaming but having a catalogue

I have no answer to the 'why'.It is interesting that some of the high-end manufacturers such as Accuphase do not build streamers yet. I would have thought that with their expertise in CD-players, they should have the right knowledge. I read that they are looking at it but there is something holding them back. But they don't go into what exactly that is. 

17 hours ago, diecaster said:

Okay. Let's get real here. What is the CD player's job when you are using the digital out into some DAC? It is to read the digital bits off the CD and send them to the DAC. Note "bits". What happens with ripped tracks on streaming setup? Yes, the streamer setup's job is to get those same digital bits to the DAC.

If the CD player and the streamer are doing their jobs correctly, which they usually do, the bits arrive exactly the same. So, what could make them sound different? Well, I think we know the answer and that is noise that arrives along with the bits.

So, while I have not heard that particular Accuphase CD player, I have heard others. They are fine CD players...better than most. But the models I have heard are not better than a well designed streaming setup. Why? Because a well designed streaming setup is capable of generating less noise traveling along with the bits than the CD player. A poorly designed streaming setup certainly could, and probably would, sound worse.

I see your point, the ultimate SQ is dependant on the amount of reduction of noise and garbage that outputs from either (player digital or physical disc). The OP and myself are using the CD player analog out to an amp, and this difference is clearly distinguishable. Even though a DAC, in the CD player or Streamer can process a digital stream in a similar if not identical manner, way, the DAC (see the bolded A) is the ultimate zone where the most influence occurs, typically power supplies, construction of the transport. In a CD player the signal paths are very short compared with a Streamer which is several metres and multiple crappy power supplies in routers, switches. There's room for improvement for either system, for my ears for a few years, the physical medium from the Accuphase still leads. I've managed to come close from a computer, but the effort and cost I could have spared and bought another spare (SA)CD player in hindsight. I do keep my digital collection up to date and it's a great convenience, even made CD-Rs of decent downloads, and they're better than through a PC-DAC combo.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Interesting what you say about the CD-Rs. The shop where I bought my DP-560 from, the only Accuphase dealer in the UK, told me that I am likely to find that if I burn downloads I will notice a slight improvement compared to playing it from the Melco and through the DAC of the DP-560.  However, if I buy a CD, it will still sound better. I have not really explored this as I have only received the DP-560 a few weeks ago and just want to listen to many of my CDs and enjoy the music. 

7 hours ago, One and a half said:

The OP and myself are using the CD player analog out to an amp, and this difference is clearly distinguishable.

Well, if you are using the player's DAC, then you are even worse off than I thought. There is no way the DAC in the Accuphase is better than any of the better DACs I have used/owned. And yes, I have heard them! The ES9018S is nothing terribly special as a DAC chip in regards to sound. It does not make the DAC section magical in any way and I much prefer R2R implementations and like FPGA implementations the best.

I took a quick look at Accuphase's web site, and they list several technical things they do to get high SQ.  At least one is something I have not seen done elsewhere (or the naming is quite different).  Possibly, they have something that no one else does.  you might want to take a look at their web site.

My 1st reaction to seeing FPGA, is that the production run is too small to make ASICs feasible, not that it implies high SQ necessarily...

Anyone interested could listen to a high end separate DAC system vs. the player...

I also wonder what Accuphase would say if someone asked why they don't make a stand alone DAC.

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

My 1st reaction to seeing FPGA, is that the production run is too small to make ASICs feasible, not that it implies high SQ necessarily...

In some cases an FPGA is used because the volume does not justify an ASIC. However, that is hardly the only reason. One reason to use an FPGA is that they are easily reprogrammed while an ASIC is fixed. PS Audio keeps updating the FPGA in the DirectSream DAC. The DAC has improved greatly since its introduction. These FPGA updates have been free...it's like getting a new DAC free!

The DP-560 operates as a DAC as it takes multiple digital inputs. It even uses an FPGA but for what I do not know as the DAC chip is a delta-sigma.

2 hours ago, One and a half said:

There's no need to make judgement how I listen to music, for that, you have no authority or any expertise. 

I made no judgement on how you should listen to music. That is all your choice. I made a judgement about what I think of your situation. Again, that is just what I think. You are of course free to think whatever you want. Just as I am.....