IGNORED

recommendations for measurement mic preamp?

I would agree that its not so easy to find a good Mic-Pre that is inexpensive.

I was recently on a similar search but ended up caving in and bought the Earthworks ZDT 1021. Its great and I dont regret it now but it was a tough pill to swallow initially given the limited amount of use it would see.

At the end of the day I justified its cost ( and the MIC too) by not wanting to take measurements of my expensive gear with components that took any shortcuts in their design. After-all, the final sound of the system will be dependent on how accurate the measurements are that will ultimately be used to build DSP Filters..etc

A less expensive unit that I also considered at the time was this one from Grace Design. It looks to be a very nice unit for about 1/2 the price of the Earthworks.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/551924-REG/Grace_Design_AM101_m101_Microphone_Preamp.html

13 hours ago, nefilim said:

Thanks so much cjf - the grace design looks like the best I'll be able to do < $1k, the specs looks excellent, bit the bullet!

ps. How has your experience been with Audiolense?

Congrats, I'm sure the Grace will be excellent

Audiolense has been pretty easy to use. My primary complaint with it has nothing to do with the software itself. My complaint is that they only accept Paypal and their website is insecure. I refuse to enter all my personal details into a shady web form that is then submitted without HTTPS to Paypal...Anyway, until that is fixed I wont be buying it.

I've tried Dirac also.  Dirac is stupid simple and sounds great but it only runs when an actual User is logged into the PC. If you disconnect via RDP on a headless media server the program closes and the virtual sound card goes away.

A damn shame really