IGNORED

Seems Michael Lavorgna was fired(?) Can someone confirm?

3 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Maybe it will become as good of a magazine as HFN&RR now that their parent company owns it. or perhaps the paren't company will absorb them and combine the two. That would be nice to be able to get the planet's best English Language Hi-Fi publication (HFN&RR) here in the US without having to pay overseas subscription rates (~$120/year IIRC)!

Agree....was one of those that spent a bit of dough to recieve, by mail, this mag when JA was in charge, but those were the great and early days of Linn, Naim and Celestion. (Spelling)

HiFi was truly exciting in those days,   (Don’t I sound old?)

1 hour ago, wdw said:

Agree....was one of those that spent a bit of dough to recieve, by mail, this mag when JA was in charge, but those were the great and early days of Linn, Naim and Celestion. (Spelling)

HiFi was truly exciting in those days,   (Don’t I sound old?)

Welcome to the club! You know, you can get HFN&RR digitally through Zenio for only about $35/year. I read a number of magazines via digital editions and find it very convenient, easy to read, and no clutter of piled-up periodicals to deal with either. On my iPad I get, monthly:

HFN&RR

Hi-Fi Choice

Hi-Fi +

TAS

Strereophile

Sports Car & Classics

Evo

Octane

Shutterbug

Digital Photo

Popular Science

Hemmings Sports and Classic Cars

Plus I've always got at least two books in the queue at Kindel. I find reading via a 10" or larger tablet (it doesn't need to be an iPad, it can just as easily be a sub-$100 Android tablet) to be the ultimate in convenience and environmental responsibility too! :) 

George

On 4/16/2018 at 1:51 PM, Ran said:

"Dagdagan"? I really hope she does not know what it means in Hebrew.

Isn't this also a Filipino surname?

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

On 4/16/2018 at 10:18 AM, Ralf11 said:

She seems like a nice person and is likely to give some perspective both in terms of age and gender to this hobby.

The little details comment was a good one.

Just one problem: she didn't really say "BeeGee's" did she?

Don't knock the Bee Gees!

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe Chris should hire Michael to run CA while he focus on SF?

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

6 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Audiostream is officially dead

Who needs it?  We need more well written reviews by guys with credibility who aren't industry insiders with an agenda.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

13 minutes ago, rickca said:

Who needs it?  We need more well written reviews by guys with credibility who aren't industry insiders with an agenda.  

..well to be fair, AS did have a following..and I did see that some readers valued the music features..and if I am not mistaken, some of the contributors on the music side moved over to PFO?

50 minutes ago, rickca said:

a young woman would solve 2 problems that the audiophile 'community' has - I'd really want that if I were a manf.

8 hours ago, Brinkman Ship said:

I saw some posting somewhere, maybe Facebook, that Audiostream is officially dead...for now..they had hired a new Editor, but it seems that fell through.

Jana Dagdagan was hired as editor of Audiostream. Are you saying that she will no longer get the job? 

I wager Herb Reichert takes over Innerfidelity.  

6 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Sigh.

How great was Tyll. My preferences in headphones SQ always seemed to align perfectly with his reviews AND his measurements - way more than any other reviewer of any gear in this hobby.

Plus his video reviews were always so enthusiastic and spot on, making them fun to watch.

Somebody has enormous shoes to (try to) fill.

I agree. Tyll was a great reviewer. He will be missed. I wouldn't mind if it was Steve Guttenberg who replaced him. I believe he is employed full time by CNET, so it is unlikely he will take the job. 

On 4/16/2018 at 11:21 AM, Doak said:

Sorry to see ML go.

IMO he brought some valuable things/info to our table.

Adios Amigo. 

I agree. I enjoyed Lavorgna.

But having said this, I am having trouble pointing to any reviewer whose opinion I would trust, frankly, or who I would consider is ultimately honest. In fact the few I can think of are those technical peeps on this forum like @Archimago, @Miska, @mansr, and some others. 

Unfortunately those people won't be able to review specific products I am interested in... 

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

9 hours ago, Indydan said:

Jana Dagdagan was hired as editor of Audiostream. Are you saying that she will no longer get the job? 

I wager Herb Reichert takes over Innerfidelity.  

From what understand, there is no editor currently...I tried searching for the post but I can't find it, essentially it said

she turned it down.

1 hour ago, Brinkman Ship said:

From what understand, there is no editor currently...I tried searching for the post but I can't find it, essentially it said

she turned it down.

If true, it looks a little silly that Atkinson announced her hiring; either before she accepted, or she bailed out after accepting. 

2 hours ago, esimms86 said:

In the video Tyll said something to the effect that a younger pair of ears, frequency spectrum-wise, would be a good thing. Guttenberg, age wise, is more of a contemporary of Tyll.

No offense to the person who suggested it, but Guttenberg would not be a replacement for Tyll.  Granted, I don't follow Guttenberg closely but he strikes me as if not a typical "high end" reviewer, then one who has at least one foot in the door.  Tyll was too interested in objectivity, balancing pros and cons, and real high fidelity to be a  member of the "high end" insiders club.  He made mistakes of course, and has his bias (too fond of Mr. Speakers for example for my taste) but they were not in the direction of "high end"...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

2 hours ago, Brinkman Ship said:

..honestly, JA or someone from their group would need to clarify...but nothing posted for a month...

I think audiostream started around 2011, and 7 years ago its charter might have made sense.  But with standalone DACs, media servers and network streamers becoming mainstream, it seems that its content should just fold into Stereophile at this point.

I'd say their latest About Us page pretty much says it all:

https://www.audiostream.com/about-us