IGNORED

Seems Michael Lavorgna was fired(?) Can someone confirm?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thought ML’s latest avatar and the last few videos were simply bizarre and had the taint of some kind of willful self destruction.....that and his GFYM are behaviours best left out of the public domain.

IMO Dana will be a welcome voice to that site and this industry.

1 hour ago, rando said:

Who do you think shot and edited those videos?  Who do you think was the creative force behind their conception?  

I agree with your first sentence.  The second one is a little premature.

Hadn’t thought about that...so you believe Dana was the creative engine behind that last, very odd, video?

I'm kind of unclear on what Jana's "mission" was or is at these places. If the mission is to inject some youthiness or get some youth involved in the industry, I don't see it happening. I just see Jana continuing to talk about very expensive/"elite" gear, talk to old white guys about speakers, and generally be another Stereophile type voice in a different skin. 

Honestly, I feel Darko does a better job at bridging the "youth gap" in the hobby. That's not to say I dislike Jana or that she does a bad job. I just don't really understand why she's needed or what her employers thought her goal was or is or should be.

1 hour ago, wdw said:

Hadn’t thought about that...so you believe Dana was the creative engine behind that last, very odd, video?

I'm reasonably sure who shot the videos.  They have been attributed to her in every case so far that I'm aware of.  I'm also fairly sure ML has established an online personality; his professional demeanor on AS which most people seemed to like and his forum personality which was borderline poisoned with machismo.  

Posing the questions I did was to ask what others might know.  Posting of that video was done in earnest as I have little doubt she will show equal amounts of professionalism and interest in the subjects on AS her predecessor did.  Having had no idea who she was I thought others might also enjoy putting a human face to the name.  I think she has earned the right to use this chance to express herself even if I also suspect there are reasons to believe else wise.  

To my way of thinking openly expressing disgust at that final ML video, and offering a follow up comment in this thread, is not tantamount to the campaigns launched here by other posters against anyone associated with Stereophile.  There are questions some of us would like answered, but they do not need to be for their daily business to go forward.  So in the face of sure criticism I wished JA godspeed navigating the waters ahead.  

@stuck_limo You can watch the video and catch up on what we already discussed in the linked thread below.

36 minutes ago, stuck_limo said:

I'm kind of unclear on what Jana's "mission" was or is at these places. If the mission is to inject some youthiness or get some youth involved in the industry, I don't see it happening. I just see Jana continuing to talk about very expensive/"elite" gear, talk to old white guys about speakers, and generally be another Stereophile type voice in a different skin. 

In this day and age, reading reviews of audio equipment is not enough. AV content, similar to the last Video/binaural recording that Jana shot with Herb should be produced for each component under review. With some production discipline (at least as related to Audio) this additional content library can be as informative if not more than formal written reviews.

What Jana may lack in Audio reviewing experience she more than makes up for in this AV complimentary content. She can still rely on senior reviewers but can transform Audiostream into a more contemporary audiovisual platform.

2 hours ago, rando said:

There is no upside to enveloping her sex or ethnicity into the discussion.  Beyond establishing roots far removed from the cultural home of that in which her surname has an ulterior highly descriptive meaning.  Noting the existence of said interpretation does have merit for someone active in the public eye as a media creator.  

My statement in the "Old Guard" thread still holds true.  Nothing says I have to consume further content I deem offensive or do anything other than move on.  Thus far we've had a healthy discussion I chose to direct wdw towards a point he hadn't considered in the course of.  I hope that continues or it slides down the front page into obscurity. 

I wish Ms Dagdagan the best in her new position.

+1

On 4/15/2018 at 6:38 AM, plissken said:

I wonder what else is going to happen with Stereophile et al.

Maybe it will become as good of a magazine as HFN&RR now that their parent company owns it. or perhaps the paren't company will absorb them and combine the two. That would be nice to be able to get the planet's best English Language Hi-Fi publication (HFN&RR) here in the US without having to pay overseas subscription rates (~$120/year IIRC)!

George