IGNORED

Schiit embarrassed at AXPONA

2 hours ago, GUTB said:

I’m 100% neurotypical.

Not an excuse, I have PTSD from 18 years in the military watching brothers get their limbs blown off, and seeing people vaporized  in bombings,, but I don't use that as an excuse.  So stop using your excuse as to why you don;t understand audio.  Its getting rather old.

The Truth Is Out There

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Interesting thread. 

Sound quality in a hotel room is determined by many factors. I’d rank the top four in order of importance as:

1. Room (a giant instrument)

2. Skill and willingness the people running the demo to tune the system. 

3. Power (can be horrendous).

4. Loudspeakers

Once these are addressed, then it’s possible to hear what a DAC has to offer etc...

1, 2 & 4 are a great chance to show off DSP

3 is a great chance to show off LPS, iso. trans. balanced PS, etc.

Those manfs. seem to be missing a great opportunity

1 hour ago, Nordkapp said:

@GUTB, I am not calling you out. This is simply an attempt to help you. You are not neurotypical, and that's fine, few of us are for that matter. As a medical professional with 24+ years in healthcare and having treated 10's of thousands of patients, I can confidently say you sir are not neurotypical. And again, it's quite ok. Just please stop trying to cover up your idiosyncratic ideas/behavior with this constant "I'm neurotypical" stuff. I find your posts amusing at times, but infuriating as well. However, you do supply the peanut gallery with plenty to talk about. So in that regard you are fun with a sort of redeeming value. Keep posting. I do enjoy the debates. Remember, it's just audio equipment. I hope this helps you. Mike.

you are no doubt familiar with ELIZA

perhaps a variant of that is the GUTB bot - it could be a joke project by some psych. grad. students

18 minutes ago, mav52 said:

Not an excuse, I have PTSD from 18 years in the military watching brothers get their limbs blown off, and seeing people vaporized  in bombings,, but I don't use that as an excuse.  So stop using your excuse as to why you don;t understand audio.  Its getting rather old.

Neurotypical would imply he is normal or well adjusted. Its not an excuse.

36 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

ELIZA was an early AI system or computer program that spit out various things based on user input

GUTB appears to be an early AI system or computer program that spits out various things whether there is input or not

everyone should learn about ELIZA

this is another system with input,  and perhaps a much more comparable output

(sorry GUTB, couldn't resist, please take this in the fun spirit in which it is intended)

untitled.png

2 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

How can this be absolute?

Absolute in the sense of a strong assertion.

As I keep pointing out, I’m neurotypical. I can use context, social / cultural information to communicate. To a neurotypical person meanings can change based on context.

On 15/04/2018 at 5:13 AM, GUTB said:

Schiit was at AXPONA again this year. They were showing a Salk music server streaming into a Gungnir Multibit (?) feeding a Freya and two Vidars. Speakers were the Salk Song 3As.

So what happened?

Esoteric was just next door. This allowed attendees to move immediately from one room to another. Esoteric was showing a full stack of thier latest separates plus a VPI Avenger for analog. Speakers were a pair of Cantons I didn’t get the model of.

The Schiit room, while not bad, was completely destroyed by the Esoteric room. Esoteric played one SACD that unfurled a massive soundstage that I could sense even not being in the best seat. The sound of the Esoteric system, both via SACD and vinyl was dynamic, resolving, extremely musical, collected, vibrant, both large and delicately structured. It was a system that got all the minor details right. Such a good setup. The Schiit setup, while unoffensive, clean, and musical in its own right, simply couldn’t face the Esoteric in inner detail, soundstage, reality and low-level dynamics.

Why did the Schiit system fail so hard vs the Esoteric? Part of the reason might have been the junk cabling used by Schiit. Peaking behind the system I was Blue Jeans speaker cables and mess of power bricks, basic cabling, etc. I don’t know how much of the Schiit’s performance was compromised by inferior cabling, but I’m curious how close it would have come to the Esoteric had Schiit paid some basic attention to that area.

You didn't mention money. I bet Schiit destroyed Esoteric in the value proposition. I accept the cable comment though; only a fool would argue cables don't make a difference.

3 hours ago, Nordkapp said:

Neurotypical would imply he is normal or well adjusted. Its not an excuse.

I thought "neurotypical" simply meant "not on the autism spectrum."  If so, it wouldn't rule out sociopathy or any of a multitude of other issues or their combinations.  (No commentary on or attempted diagnosis of any individual(s) that participate in this forum to be inferred.)

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

Like I said, Schiit was used in quite a few rooms and they sounded and worked great.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

On the OP, I heard a very similar setup (I think a yggy was the DAC however) at RMAF 2016 and I too was underwhelmed.  I noticed the speaker placement was horrible (almost as if it was intentional).  Other than that, not much can be said as there are just too many show conditions.

I notice the OP speaks of "low level dynamics" and such...in show conditions?!?  I guess I don't have the Golden Noise Canceling Ears for such a thing...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!