IGNORED

Aurender N100H vs Melco N1a/2?

The last component I need to select for my first-ever digital-based 2-channel system is a single-box music server/streamer.  I am torn between the Aurender N100H and the Melco N1a/2.  While streaming Tidal or QoBuz is a plus, my primary use will be to transmit hires music files, including pcm and DSD (up to DSD 256 without conversion to PCM!) to the Chord Qutest DAC.

The Aurender appears to have the advantage of caching music files to SSD from the hard drive, the dedicated Aurender App, and maybe more accessible customer support and ease of use. However, the N100H hardware is several years old and I wonder how technology has improved since then.  The Melco has excellent reviews for sound and maybe the N1a/2 hardware reflects more recent technology, but I am concerned about unpredictable and limited Control Point use with 3rd party apps such as Kazoo on my iPad.

These trade-offs make it difficult in deciding which one to buy!  My top priority is the best sound out of the B&W 803 D3 speakers, but only if the Melco is truly better for sound than the Aurender from their dedicated USB ports to the Qutest dac AND using Kazoo, etc. with the Melco is not too frustrating. 

Any insights are greatly appreciated!

• 2 months later...

So, what did you decide? My issue is more around library management; the Melco seems to be a bit behind the curve for file uploading and management. The reaonds I sday this is because in my case, I have 8TB of music loading into a 4TD drive with little/no way to define what you actually would like to upload or at least that's how I read the instructions + there is little community support around the product. The Aurender on the other hand makes it really easy to upload files / directories / libraries. Thoughts?

Ken

Ken,

I decided that the risk of limited app control (Melco has no plans to develop its own app so you must rely on third-party apps) was too high for me.  So, I will be purchasing an Aurender product, but I will wait for a newer model than the several-years-old N100H.

Eric

Thanks @FredM. The issue is the app used in controlling the unit; in the review, it is suggested that the preferred app is Linn Kazoo which I tried w/o success. The "looking for room" screen with is spinning circle was about as far as I got. I even changed the Mode to "Mode 1" which was recommended but yielded the same... I would love for it to work so I can demo the unit. As a second note, I tried mControl in Mode 1 but it gave me about thirty seconds of each song. After changing it to "Mode 0" was I able to play songs in their entirety. What I've learned is that the app side is as important as the unit itself which is why I like Roon and Aurender; they get it and provide a complete package.  

For sure,  Aurender has a good app while Melco has no dedicated app. That said, Melco is playing very well with m-connect. In terms of sound, Aurender is far, far from Melco. Melco sounds organic while Aurender may sound artificial...

Having had both; actually all three, I offer these observations (Kind of Blue was the reference audio) -

1) Aurender - better app, easier to operation and set-up and by far a better audio experience. The music pops... I don't feel it sounds artificial and felt that the music sounded natural and honest.

2) Melco - no native app, not as easy to set-up as the Aurrender and sounded somewhat flat if not restrictive on the higher/low end.

3) Roon - The app is too heavy for me; I own 8TB of music and don't need to see comparative artists or Artists of the day so a scaled back app would be my "ask" or the ability to turn some of the fluff down. That said, it works extremely well and the sound quality is in line with the Aurender so it's a step up.

In all honesty,  either Aurender or a Roon server with 2-4TB of storage is the way to go.

MagicM and Ken,

Thanks for offering your insights--even though they are opposite conclusions about Aurender vs Melco when it comes to the sound quality!  Before making a final decision, I'm waiting on some possible news hinted at by my dealer that Aurender may offer a newer model or significant update (still a vague rumor at this point).  My main application is to load about 1.5T of music files (including 256DSD files--which the current Aurender N100H can't play) onto the server and route them via my Qutest dac to the power amp.

I’m not sure I understand; the N100H is available in 2 or 4TB models. I had the 4 and it worked perfectly. I understand that there is a newer model but it’s too many bells/whistles for me + it’s $5600. I heard they are launching a new app that serves up the metadata better. I like the aurender app as it’s simple and works 

The news today from my dealer is that there is no imminent replacement for the Aurender N100H, but that major updates continue.  I have decided to go the safe route for apps and choose the Aurender, especially since the Qutest dac will do the heavy lifting for converting the digital files and limiting the Aurender server to storing, organizing and outputting those digital files via USB to the dac.