IGNORED

Tidal MQA Classical Gems

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

the Everest tapes on MQA to be head and shoulders above the much vaunted, but supremely disappointing (to me) Mercury Living Presence reissues on SACD

Funnily enough, I find the few  MLP I’ve tried in MQA to be uniformly disappointing with a very obvious “squashed” character  to the sound.  I much prefer the CD box sets.

But I can only dream of owning most of the MLP SACDs.  Apart  from a couple of titles, it looks like the opportunity to get them at a normal price passed long ago.  Some really expensive  examples on Amazon, although I can’t  work out who would actually buy them.  Of course, if you don’t want yours, happy to take them off your hands for  the cost of shipping.....

12 minutes ago, Norton said:

Funnily enough, I find the few  MLP I’ve tried in MQA to be uniformly disappointing with a very obvious “squashed” character  to the sound.  I much prefer the CD box sets.

But I can only dream of owning most of the MLP SACDs.  Apart  from a couple of titles, it looks like the opportunity to get them at a normal price passed long ago.  Some really expensive  examples on Amazon, although I can’t  work out who would actually buy them.  Of course, if you don’t want yours, happy to take them off your hands for  the cost of shipping.....

The SACDs aren't any better...

On 4/6/2018 at 4:12 PM, austinpop said:

All of these recommendations are from Tidal in the US.

image.thumb.png.220076094a03d19d0fd4406996fbf39d.png

Reason for recommendation: everything! Excellent recording, SQ, and a sparkling, spirited performance that is quintessentially Gustavo!

After I bookmarked this I did a quick search for Gustavo Dudamel on Tidal (USA) and found he had quite a few albums on various labels and with various orchestras in MQA.

On 5/25/2018 at 8:42 PM, austinpop said:

I spent a very pleasant few hours sampling the treasure trove of Everest albums on Tidal in MQA. Thanks again to @RJeff for bringing these to our attention.

I "grazed" about a dozen albums, and I completely agree that recording quality varies from album to album. I still stand by my assertions that these recordings, while outstanding, cannot escape the technical limits of the time. For me, this is most evident on crescendos. Perhaps it's because I favor orchestral music, but it's on the crescendos (or should I say crushendos) that these old recordings show their limitations.

To be fair, I find the best of the Everest tapes on MQA to be head and shoulders above the much vaunted, but supremely disappointing (to me) Mercury Living Presence reissues on SACD.

Of the dozen albums I tried yesterday, here are a few standouts for SQ.

Outstanding

0848033016304_600.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the Mahler9. Outstanding indeed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a general Tidal Classical MQA recommendation, I find all of the Tidal MQA albums from the label 2L to be outstanding, including their “sampler” titled “2L: The Nordic Sound”. 

I’ll have to go through my Saved Favorites list in my Aurender Conductor to try and link or list to the specific albums later. 

1 hour ago, agladstone said:

This is a general Tidal Classical MQA recommendation, I find all of the Tidal MQA albums from the label 2L to be outstanding, including their “sampler” titled “2L: The Nordic Sound”. 

I’ll have to go through my Saved Favorites list in my Aurender Conductor to try and link or list to the specific albums later. 

The only classical 2L album that I found amazing was this one:

81uVk-9p3yL._SL1400_.jpg

Some of the others, at least on the 2L testbench (http://www.2l.no/hires/), like the Mozart, the Britten, the Vivaldi, and the Haydn, seem overly bright to me. I would love other recommendations of good 2L recordings on Tidal MQA.

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

The only classical 2L album that I found amazing was this one:

81uVk-9p3yL._SL1400_.jpg

Some of the others, at least on the 2L testbench (http://www.2l.no/hires/), like the Mozart, the Britten, the Vivaldi, and the Haydn, seem overly bright to me. I would love other recommendations of good 2L recordings on Tidal MQA.

Magnificat is a really good one! I like it a lot myself! 

I also like the Ola Gjeilo MQA albums from the 2L Label. 

There is also a Bartok from 2L (I can’t recall the name of the performer) I like a lot too (but Bartok is my favorite composer, so I may be biased). 

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm the only one who hates searching Tidal's convoluted system, but...

This thread would be far more useful if Tidal links were provided:

Album Thumbnail > 3dots (Show Options) > Share > Copy Album Link

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

• 1 month later...