IGNORED

Same SSD sounds better via USB vs internal SATA connection

There’s always something like this. I use the 2.5” version with a 1tb HDD. It’s also bus powered, though I’m powering mine with an iFi (no idea if there’s still power going to it via USB). The 3.5” version is only dc powered, 12V, 3A.  My NUC 7i5 is powered by a linear power supply, which I also think is important. I have one of those HDD docks in my office - great for quick backups and basic work use, but I don’t think I’d ever leave one powered up to serve music with. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

53 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

There’s always something like this. I use the 2.5” version with a 1tb HDD. It’s also bus powered, though I’m powering mine with an iFi (no idea if there’s still power going to it via USB). The 3.5” version is only dc powered, 12V, 3A.  My NUC 7i5 is powered by a linear power supply, which I also think is important. I have one of those HDD docks in my office - great for quick backups and basic work use, but I don’t think I’d ever leave one powered up to serve music with. 

I don't understand....what do you mean by  " I don’t think I’d ever leave one powered up to serve music with."

IOW, I don’t think they’re robust enough for constant duty. I’ve had one go on me. They’re just cheap plastic things - I think you’d be better off with an enclosure like the Mercury Elite I linked above. Of course YMMV, and they are useful if you have a bunch of loose drives you need to access. 

5 minutes ago, auldiophile said:

Well I might actually listen to my system an hour or two per day, and that's all I would use it for.

Well, then you might be overthinking this altogether! ;) Having both, I’d still go with the Mercury Elite, USB powered or no, unless you really need a dock. FTR, I also have a Drobo 5D and 5C, and an OWC four bay ThunderBay enclosure. I use the dock for offsite backups only, or accessing really old archives. I’m a photographer. 

9 hours ago, auldiophile said:

I have the same NUC. What Chinese R-core are you using? The Zero Zone?

Similar to the Zéro Zone. 12v 5a, generic eBay thing with a voltage display. It’s worked great, though did show up stinking of rosin. Took a few days to burn off. 

10 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Similar to the Zéro Zone. 12v 5a, generic eBay thing with a voltage display. It’s worked great, though did show up stinking of rosin. Took a few days to burn off. 

Are you sure it used an R-core transformer ? I saw a 12V 6A from them that used a toroidal transformer.

They often fill the centre of a toroidal transformer with resin for mounting purposes..

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

This exact one. Sounds as good or similar to my HDPLEX when I briefly tried it on the microRendu, before moving it to server duty for good (first a microVortexbox from SGC, and now a NUC 7i5). 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-100VA-12V-6A-Low-Noise-R-core-DC-LPS-Linear-Power-Supply-display/322109337787?hash=item4aff3670bb:g:ka4AAOSwve5XOFYu

47 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

This exact one. Sounds as good or similar to my HDPLEX when I briefly tried it on the microRendu, before moving it to server duty for good (first a microVortexbox from SGC, and now a NUC 7i5). 

Looks good and measures well  !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-100VA-12V-6A-Low-Noise-R-core-DC-LPS-Linear-Power-Supply-display/322109337787?hash=item4aff3670bb:g:ka4AAOSwve5XOFYu

So the NUC7i5 comes with a SMPS rated at 19V / 3.43A output. I know the NUC MB can supposed run off 12V but considering the options for that LPS include a 19V / 4.2A version at the same price wouldn't that be better?

9 hours ago, auldiophile said:

So the NUC7i5 comes with a SMPS rated at 19V / 3.43A output. I know the NUC MB can supposed run off 12V but considering the options for that LPS include a 19V / 4.2A version at the same price wouldn't that be better?

Yes, that probably would be. I’m just using what I already had. I suppose there’s a pot inside and I could ramp it up to 15v or so, but just couldn’t be bothered as it works, and the NUC runs cool. Took a couples weeks to arrive if I recall.