IGNORED

Same SSD sounds better via USB vs internal SATA connection

I've got an external ADATA SSD with a USB3  micro connector that I've been using for my music storage. Playback software and OS are on separate partitions on the internal HDD.

The external SSD is in an enclosure and is just a SATA III drive with a USB3 micro adapter on it.  This was all set up on an ASUS EEEBox. So I just got a NUC to replace the EEEBox and it has an internal SATA connector  so i decided to remove the SSD from it's enclosure, remove the adapter and just plug it into the internal SATA connector. Everything was set up identically on the NUC as it was on the EEEBox, except for the SSD is now internally mounted vs USB mounted. Why would it sound different internally mounted to the SATA connector vs external via a USB cable? SQ was degraded compared to how the EEEBox setup sounded so I decided to remove the drive and connect it to the NUC the same was as I had it on the EEEBox and it now sounds great again. Both the EEEBox and the NUC are optimized similarly with all unnecessary OS functions disabled. So the bottom line is, all other things being pretty darn equal, why would an internal SATA connection of the same SSD sound worse than it connected externally via USB cable?

EDIT:

Both PC's connected via USB to Intona USB Isolator (Industrial version) to USB input of PS Audio Directstream

When used as an internal SSD via SATA, you will normally get markedly improved results if you improve the PSU to it. This can also be done by regulating the internal +12V down to a cleaner, and more isolated, +5V for the SSD.

Are you also using a good quality SATA cable with it, that has 2 separate internal screened cables,(not 7 wires side by side) and is of a length no longer than needed ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

No, this is way simpler than that.  I  know most of you are infinitely more advanced than this but the SSD just slides into an internal connector. And I'm not looking for solutions to make it better. I'm just asking if it makes sense that the same SSD would sound quite a bit better when attached externally via an adapter to a USB cable vs attached to the internal SATA connection.

I mean, one way it's connected directly to the MB and the other way it's not only using an adapter, it's connected via a cable. You'd think the most direct method would be best yet it pales in comparison.

2 hours ago, auldiophile said:

SSD just slides into an internal connector.

I presume that you mean into a Motherboard slot ?

In that case the motherboard supply is likely to be way noisier than say a separate +5V feed

from a 4 pin molex plug.

Some of the recent very high speed SSDs that plug directly into the motherboard will be great for general computing, video editing etc. , but personally I would prefer a conventional SSD powered via a 4 pin molex plug for highest quality , low noise Audio.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

8 hours ago, auldiophile said:

I've got an external ADATA SSD with a USB3  micro connector that I've been using for my music storage. Playback software and OS are on separate partitions on the internal HDD.

The external SSD is in an enclosure and is just a SATA III drive with a USB3 micro adapter on it.  This was all set up on an ASUS EEEBox. So I just got a NUC to replace the EEEBox and it has an internal SATA connector  so i decided to remove the SSD from it's enclosure, remove the adapter and just plug it into the internal SATA connector. Everything was set up identically on the NUC as it was on the EEEBox, except for the SSD is now internally mounted vs USB mounted. Why would it sound different internally mounted to the SATA connector vs external via a USB cable? SQ was degraded compared to how the EEEBox setup sounded so I decided to remove the drive and connect it to the NUC the same was as I had it on the EEEBox and it now sounds great again. Both the EEEBox and the NUC are optimized similarly with all unnecessary OS functions disabled. So the bottom line is, all other things being pretty darn equal, why would an internal SATA connection of the same SSD sound worse than it connected externally via USB cable?

EDIT:

Both PC's connected via USB to Intona USB Isolator (Industrial version) to USB input of PS Audio Directstream

Sounds like your electrical noise isolation is better for some reason with the external USB3 connection. Ethernet attached NAS provides the same benefit.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

SSD itself can't be overlooked.  The audiophile crowd tends to go the other way and seek out exclusive highly refined solutions for every part of the chain.  ADATA make budget products meant to fill a place in the market below Samsung and the like.  Nobody here will tell you cost is an indicator of performance.  Instead, widely ranging manufacturing techniques and materials do produce variables in how they perform best.  Along with noisy power, it could be motherboard construction, BIOS/driver related, or variances in SSD construction.  

You could start with a physical investigation of the SATA cable (Is it SATAIII, inside of connectors look good, etc.), the motherboard SATA female plug, soldering on the motherboard, and PSU connections.  If Windows dig into your error reporting and device manager functions for signs of incompatibility (AHCI not being enabled?).  Before you eliminate system issues it is hard to establish anything beyond the USB signal path has a clearly distinguishable improvement.  

I would start with optimizing your computer for SSD, BIOS update, and a good driver refresh.  This might make a significant system wide improvement.  We have no way of knowing how well set up the basic functionality of your system is so ignore all of this if you are up to speed already.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not averse to attaching an external drive, I was just surprised I guess. The PC in question is a new NUC7i5 model with space for an M.2 and a 2.5" drive. My OS is on a new Intel 760P M.2 PCie drive, JRiver on the 2nd partition, 8 GB (2 x 4) Hynix DDR4. I installed Windows 10 LTSB and ran the most current update, the bios is the most current, then I went through an optimization tutorial. It's just for playback of what's on the drive so I even have Internet/Wi-fi disabled. I also use the free Fidelizer. I've been looking at LPS and other SSD's or possibly a USB Flash drive as potential replacements for the ADATA.

The EEEBox setup sounded great and I really wasn't expecting that great of an improvement but then again I certainly wouldn't have minded either. You never know if you're hearing the best possible until you hear it. The opinions on what storage is best is all over the place from SATA 2 HDD to flash drive and everything in between.

1 hour ago, auldiophile said:

Thanks for the replies. I'm not averse to attaching an external drive, I was just surprised I guess. The PC in question is a new NUC7i5 model with space for an M.2 and a 2.5" drive. My OS is on a new Intel 760P M.2 PCie drive, JRiver on the 2nd partition, 8 GB (2 x 4) Hynix DDR4. I installed Windows 10 LTSB and ran the most current update, the bios is the most current, then I went through an optimization tutorial. It's just for playback of what's on the drive so I even have Internet/Wi-fi disabled. I also use the free Fidelizer. I've been looking at LPS and other SSD's or possibly a USB Flash drive as potential replacements for the ADATA.

The EEEBox setup sounded great and I really wasn't expecting that great of an improvement but then again I certainly wouldn't have minded either. You never know if you're hearing the best possible until you hear it. The opinions on what storage is best is all over the place from SATA 2 HDD to flash drive and everything in between.

For another "cheap"surprise, if you can make a 2" USB connector work, get an Uptone Audio USPCB connector.  Weirdly sensible that a PCB board connector sounds better than wired cables.. else we would all be going insane over different PCB board trace solutions impact on audio for similar gear.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

6 minutes ago, davide256 said:

For another "cheap"surprise, if you can make a 2" USB connector work, get an Uptone Audio USPCB connector.  Weirdly sensible that a PCB board connector sounds better than wired cables.. else we would all be going insane over different PCB board trace solutions impact on audio for similar gear.

Well actually I do have a Sonore adapter which is probably about the same thing except for the vbus switch. But then I'd be limited to USB 2 type B HDD interface?

2 hours ago, auldiophile said:

Well actually I do have a Sonore adapter which is probably about the same thing except for the vbus switch. But then I'd be limited to USB 2 type B HDD interface?

this is for audio USB out to DAC/standalone asynch USB converter.  You would put it between the Intona and the PSAudio DAC. I actually run 1 on either side of the ISO Regen... better detail resolution than the Supra/ DiFI Vertere/ Wireworld Starlight/Pangea pure silver cables I retired

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

this is for audio USB out to DAC/standalone asynch USB converter.  You would put it between the Intona and the PSAudio DAC. I actually run 1 on either side of the ISO Regen... better detail resolution than the Supra/ DiFI Vertere/ Wireworld Starlight/Pangea pure silver cables I retired

Really.....hmm. I've heard that the USB out on the Intona doesn't seem to be too finicky about cables. But unfortunately the Intona won't fit behind my DAC anyway. I did try that with the Uptone Regen though and didn't really hear any difference compared to a cable.

18 hours ago, auldiophile said:

NUC does change things a bit.  Can you describe the external case you are using with the ADATA.  I'd highly consider moving on from stuffing a second drive into the NUC and look at powering the SSD separately in an external case.  Don't argue with what works, move in the direction of least resistance until it has been sufficiently improved.  The only opinion that matters is what works best for your ears.  Be that a $4K executive security SSD, a 5 year old 7200 rpm HDD, or an SD card/flash drive.  Take the time to investigate what works and why.

The full gamut of sources from big dollar industrial networks in the home to ancient laptops pop up here.  That long list of stuff to check may or may not have applied to you.  Maybe it would have shown a whole row of bulging caps because you actually looked?  Just wanted to make sure you were giving any new hardware the best chance for success.

Thanks...I appreciate that and it does make sense. As of now I've been looking for a lower cost, stopgap solution but I know where this always leads in the end so I think I'm just going to save myself some time and effort and spring for an Uptone JS-2, get a better hard drive and power them both with the Uptone.

On 4/7/2018 at 5:44 AM, rando said:

NUC does change things a bit.  Can you describe the external case you are using with the ADATA.  I'd highly consider moving on from stuffing a second drive into the NUC and look at powering the SSD separately in an external case.  Don't argue with what works, move in the direction of least resistance until it has been sufficiently improved.  The only opinion that matters is what works best for your ears.  Be that a $4K executive security SSD, a 5 year old 7200 rpm HDD, or an SD card/flash drive.  Take the time to investigate what works and why.

The full gamut of sources from big dollar industrial networks in the home to ancient laptops pop up here.  That long list of stuff to check may or may not have applied to you.  Maybe it would have shown a whole row of bulging caps because you actually looked?  Just wanted to make sure you were giving any new hardware the best chance for success.

So can you recommend a good external case?

Actually, can't remember offhand what external is preferred currently.  I believe it had power and data on separate cables.  You could try searching here or maybe someone find this thread who does know.  If you are skipping past inferior solutions it would be good to get this right.

For sure externally powered as you surmised this was going to end up.  I might be a bit confused what your thought is here in regards to an enclosure.  If the drive is separately powered but sitting inside the case it uses the normal slot.  

@davide256 Whoa, tiger direct is not they type of place you even suggest someone order from.  I'm equally intrigued by the temporary drive mounting solution.  Of which there is not a single one on the market that can be counted on to work the next time you plug it in.

26 minutes ago, auldiophile said:

Well it appears that you can buy an enclosure where the drive plugs into a SATA slot and the enclosure takes a SMPS. These look like they are not being offered much any more. And you can get a docking station like david linked to that uses an SMPS also.

You can still find them at a higher price, but not so easy to find on ebay these days, where almost all of them will only take an HDD or SSD. They perform even better when powered by a Linear +12V 2A and +5V 2A PSU instead of the typical supplied SMPS where the +12V output is poorly regulated.

26 minutes ago, sandyk said:

You can still find them at a higher price, but not so easy to find on ebay these days, where almost all of them will only take an HDD or SSD. They perform even better when powered by a Linear +12V 2A and +5V 2A PSU instead of the typical supplied SMPS where the +12V output is poorly regulated.

Yes...that's my goal. I don't really care about price. I'd like a very good enclosure or dock, one bay is all I need, to be externally powered by a good LPS.

This has been extremely hard to research. I consider myself well above average as far as online research goes and this has been really frustrating. Computer audio is not that new, you'd think there would be plenty of researchable options as far as optimum externally powered storage and playback solutions. It seems they are more interested in pushing these over-priced all in one systems. I realize there is likely a larger market for those but there has to be a large enough market for us who would rather piece our systems together.

Something like this sounds interesting...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1388557-REG/atech_flash_technology_bj_0200_r01_blackjet_vx_2ssd_usb3_1_gen.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwwbHWBRBWEiwAMIV7E9ItatbzseQhZGRREEa89whDvp5h5p-7ioy17K2wXu9JXZEkFio3XBoC9GYQAvD_BwE#itemcode&smp=y&kwid=ZSMP&ap=y&BI=225&c3api=1876,116777138042,,

I don't need RAID or the 2 bays, but you never know, plus it takes SSD's and has USB 3.1 Gen 2 which is compatible with my NUC. I likely wouldn't benefit from USB 3.1 Gen 2 at this point but it probably wouldn't hurt any either. Plus it states "industrial housing" which hopefully means aluminum/metal and not plastic. And...it doesn't look like a mini toaster :^ /

15 minutes ago, auldiophile said:

I don't need RAID or the 2 bays, but you never know, plus it takes SSD's and has USB 3.1 Gen 2 which is compatible with my NUC. I likely wouldn't benefit from USB 3.1 Gen 2 at this point but it probably wouldn't hurt any either. Plus it states "industrial housing" which hopefully means aluminum/metal and not plastic. And...it doesn't look like a mini toaster :^ /

Just like almost every other USB connected device, there are likely to be further benefits from using the shortest possible, high quality USB cable.