IGNORED

"Audio Without Numbers" by Herb Reichert

11 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

I haven't seen any evidence that ML has banned people that for an opposing viewpoint. I have seen evidence that he's banned people for being rude & disrespectful.

Where did you get this cherry-picked evidence from? Many if not most of the regulars around here on the objectivist side have been banned by ML for respectfully disagreeing with him...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

5 minutes ago, Nordkapp said:

ML is pompous. Gotta be one of the worst audio snobs going imo. Hate to say such things but he makes no apologies.

I don't disagree. But because he is pompous does not mean that he bans people for having an opposing viewpoint.

30 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

I don't disagree. But because he is pompous does not mean that he bans people for having an opposing viewpoint.

Actually I did not know he bans people...haha. Not surprised. Oh well. We all have our views. It's cool. Whatever. It's frikin stereo equipment.....

5 minutes ago, crenca said:

Where did you get this cherry-picked evidence from? Many if not most of the regulars around here on the objectivist side have been banned by ML for respectfully disagreeing with him...

""Where did you get this cherry-picked evidence from?"

I don't think that you read what I wrote. I said that i haven't seen any evidence that people have been banned for disagreeing. It doesn't mean that people haven't been banned. It doesn't mean that people could've have even been banned for disagreeing, - I JUST HAVEN'T SEEN ANY....

If you'd care to produce some, - it might be a learning moment for me. (There are Audiostream articles & comments on them that I have not seen; i promise).

1 minute ago, Albrecht said:

""Where did you get this cherry-picked evidence from?"

I don't think that you read what I wrote. I said that i haven't seen any evidence that people have been banned for disagreeing. It doesn't mean that people haven't been banned. It doesn't mean that people could've have even been banned for disagreeing, - I JUST HAVEN'T SEEN ANY....

If you'd care to produce some, - it might be a learning moment for me. (There are Audiostream articles & comments on them that I have not seen; i promise).

Just going from memory here, I think on a thread that was specifically about ML being banned here at CA, a number of folks told their stories so to speak... I would repeat my own but frankly I'm just sort of bored of ML and don't feel like typing it out again ?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

35 minutes ago, Nordkapp said:

Actually I did not know he bans people...haha. Not surprised. Oh well. We all have our views. It's cool. Whatever. It's frikin stereo equipment.....

no, for ML it is a livelihood (of sorts)

he makes money by having companies place ads on his pontification site 

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

"Their minds are not open to any forms of anecdotal evidence or unbiased collection of raw data."

Again, what is this about? Other than Hydrogen Audio with their TOS, I don't think anyone here demands formal A/B testing be done. Informal anecdotal opinions are not necessarily automatically dismissed, but I think most would encourage the listener to go further using tools (whether ABX or other form of blind testing) to control for biases. This is simply reasonable especially when the opinion is one of "obvious" audible differences heard.

The thing is that I would love to debate an article like this with these folks on AudioStream... But they banned me for basically expressing a philosophically different opinion years ago similar to statements above. I certainly do not think I came across as rude nor did I use any inappropriate language, just pointing out inconsistencies and questionable "faith based" commentary as I recall being promoted by Mr. Lavorgna. Indeed, "So why then can't objectivists and subjectivists respect each other?"

The Hydrogen Audio TOS is not evenly enforced and is also imposed on observations that indicate a malfunctioning piece of gear.  They also reject measurements, which are objective for the rest of us.

I managed to get banned from the two largest photo forums on the net for doing some controversial things.  Generally, not following the crowd or being able to think for yourself is grounds for being banned.

11 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

The Hydrogen Audio TOS is not evenly enforced

Have things changed? I was banned for subjective opinions re: SQ

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

If you delete the caustic rhetoric from "Self-proclaimed audio objectivists, like those that troll audio forums, are not scientists, or audio professionals" to "Amateur objectivists can't imagine that numbers and counting are little more than cultural fabrications with a stronger history in banking than science", I don't have a problem with the piece and actually agree with a lot of what he has to say.

However, the above referenced attack is unfair and completely uncalled for. IMO, it only serves to severely erode the credibility of what follows to any reader unfamiliar with the issues under discussion, and is unnecessarily inflammatory to many who are. The expression, "hoisted with his own petard", comes to mind. It's sad, really.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

Well in that case shame on him. That young man needs to learn to be kind and respectful........

1 hour ago, Allan F said:

If you delete the caustic rhetoric from "Self-proclaimed audio objectivists, like those that troll audio forums, are not scientists, or audio professionals" to "Amateur objectivists can't imagine that numbers and counting are little more than cultural fabrications with a stronger history in banking than science"

Then you would be replacing something crude and crassly stupid with some vain cultural studies trumpery.

You are not a sound quality measurement device

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

no, quantification is crucial in science

and... counting is hardly a cultural fabrication - many animals can count, including some birds

Are you referring to the Counting Crows?  They have some pretty good albums out too. 

See they can count at least to one. 

:)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I'm curious - what are the two largest photo forums on the net ??

Just a guess.  dpreview and Snapchat.  :confused:

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Sounds a little bit like C.A. ? 9_9

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Jackdaws, crows, and parrots can count to about 6

note also the specialty neurons paper (no, PNAS is not peer reviewed - it is a selective club tho...)

Pepperberg, I.M. (1999) The Alex studies: Cognitive and communicative abilities of Grey Parrots.  Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.

Helen M. D. & Andreas N. (2015) Neurons selective to the number of visual items in the corvid songbird endbrain. PNAS  DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1504245112

44 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Jackdaws, crows, and parrots can count to about 6

note also the specialty neurons paper (no, PNAS is not peer reviewed - it is a selective club tho...)

Pepperberg, I.M. (1999) The Alex studies: Cognitive and communicative abilities of Grey Parrots.  Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.

Helen M. D. & Andreas N. (2015) Neurons selective to the number of visual items in the corvid songbird endbrain. PNAS  DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1504245112

I was pulling your leg.  I've read the neuron paper though not my field of expertise.  

Now the Pepperberg paper........when I saw The Alex Studies I thought for a split second it had something to do with SandyK. :)

Crows aren't just counters they are smart too.  

1 hour ago, esldude said:

I was pulling your leg.  I've read the neuron paper though not my field of expertise.  

Now the Pepperberg paper........when I saw The Alex Studies I thought for a split second it had something to do with SandyK. :)

Crows aren't just counters they are smart too.  

Irene Pepperberg has been heavily criticized for poor methodology.  I'm not really in that particular segment of a field so don't know if itis valid.  The GTOs (Girls Together Outrageously) aka female mafia of bird science seem to think it was just a case of old men hatin' on a rising woman star scientist.  Take half of each viewpoint...

BTW, birds have very different brain organization than mammals... in mammals the neostriatum is a thin protective membrane, but in birds it is very elaborate, perhaps like a cortex...

Corvids (crows, jays, etc.) and parrots are the geniuses of the avian world.