IGNORED

This has to get more attention - a consumer DAC from RME

9 hours ago, Miska said:

It is in the very same driver package as the ASIO driver. The installer installs both...

2018/12/07 17:05:01 Open WASAPI endpoint GUID: {0.0.0.00000000}.{eb2af813-d0d7-4e4d-91db-cb7af2c4f2ea}
  2018/12/07 17:05:01 Currently using: 'Analog (1+2) (RME ADI-2 Pro)'
  2018/12/07 17:05:01 Output type: Default
  2018/12/07 17:05:01 WinMiniEngine8 initialized
  2018/12/07 17:05:01 Discover rates for 2 channels
  2018/12/07 17:05:01 Format available: 44100/24 (32)
  2018/12/07 17:05:01 Format available: 44100/16 (16)

rme-driver.thumb.png.e8186082118b38f45242d682519c0737.png

Here's link to one step newer driver than what I have installed:

http://rme-audio.de/download/driver_madiface_win_09680.zip

OK, that makes sense.. Nevertheless, the Windows 10 UAC2 driver also does automatic sample rate detection/switching. At least it works with Foobar2000 (but not with Tidal). And the question remains, why doesn't the RME WASAPI driver do automatic sample rate switching whereas any other WASAPI DAC driver I know does this, even in Windows 7 and with Tidal?  

8 hours ago, Abtr said:

And the question remains, why doesn't the RME WASAPI driver do automatic sample rate switching whereas any other WASAPI DAC driver I know does this, even in Windows 7 and with Tidal?  

That I don't know. There are many WASAPI and ASIO drivers that have some kind of problem, some are limited to max 192k sampling rate or other strange stuff. So far the best WASAPI driver I've encountered is TEAC's driver for UD-501/503.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Hi folks, 

I just wanted to chime in here and say that this DAC is a thing of Beauty!

I love the form factor, design as well as aesthetics. 

And the feature set is fantastic. Its way more than a DAC. And at this 1 K price point, a real sweet spot product. 

It might not have the latest-greatest chip or fancy mysterious R2R architecture.... it just works!

This replaced an aging Eastern Electric DAC, which was quite sweet actually but wasnt meant to handle Hi Res files. And the tube output had become noisy.

I must confess that I have not tried any DAC over 2 K. 

This unit easily bests the now dated NAD M51 in the fast moving world of DACs... and at half the price. 

I have only had this for a day and am blown away. I am still learning the ropes on this. 

The manual is comprehensive and an education by itself. 

I had no issues with driver installation.

Selected ASIO. Running this thru ROON/Tidal.

Now I have to figure out a if upgrading from the cheapo USB cable will make a difference. 

Also why and if to try the HQplayer. 

Let's start a list of comparisons of the RME:

1. easily bests the now dated NAD M51 

2. does HiRes, unlike the Eastern Electric DAC

what others have people compared?

if you did a full-on single or double blind listening test, please note that (otherwise assume it was a listening comparison)

On 12/11/2018 at 9:14 PM, Ralf11 said:

Let's start a list of comparisons of the RME:

1. easily bests the now dated NAD M51 

2. does HiRes, unlike the Eastern Electric DAC

what others have people compared?

if you did a full-on single or double blind listening test, please note that (otherwise assume it was a listening comparison)

I think people should also indicate if they are using a preamp after the DAC for volume control. (To use a preamp after the ADI-2, the output volume of the DAC should be set to 0db.) And is USB or SPDIF input to the DAC used?

8 hours ago, Abtr said:

I think people should also indicate if they are using a preamp after the DAC for volume control. (To use a preamp after the ADI-2, the output volume of the DAC should be set to 0db.) And is USB or SPDIF input to the DAC used?

I have headphone/pre- amp with analog volume control connected with balanced to the ADI-2 Pro. The other Pro is connected to preamp too (using balanced also). Since I have DSD Direct enabled and run the DAC always at DSD256 only, there's no volume control available from ADI-2. For DAC and ADC use, only USB input is used. I use ADC and the S/PDIF inputs as input to HQPlayer (thus either ADC -> USB or S/PDIF -> USB path in which case the DAC is not used).

2 hours ago, Abtr said:

I think that not using the ADI-2 DAC disqualifies as a DAC comparison. ;)

Why? Pro has the same DAC (with somewhat different headphone connections), but in addition it has ADC and AES I/O. But otherwise they are same.

ADI-2 DAC can be used for same S/PDIF -> USB input cases too, there's just no AES input.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody using the ADI-2 DAC (or Pro) with iFi iUSB3.0 Micro? I got my old iUSB3 and just could not get it work, I tried different USB2, dual head USB2, USB3 cables but the RME is not recognized on my iMac. Tried all the USB ports does not make a difference.  

Any suggestion?

39 minutes ago, ferenc said:

Anybody using the ADI-2 DAC (or Pro) with iFi iUSB3.0 Micro? I got my old iUSB3 and just could not get it work, I tried different USB2, dual head USB2, USB3 cables but the RME is not recognized on my iMac. Tried all the USB ports does not make a difference.  

Any suggestion?

Probably a faulty device?

I have two ADI-2 Pro's and both work fine without any issues on all of my computers, including 27" iMac.

10 hours ago, Miska said:

I have two ADI-2 Pro's and both work fine without any issues on all of my computers, including 27" iMac.

Hi Jussi

Have you shared your standard measurements for your ADI-2? I tried searching but can't find.

13 hours ago, Miska said:

I probably mismatched the power supply of the iUSB3, will check soon.... Thanks for your suggestion. 

13 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes, I could not find the original power supply, and tried to use it from one of my linear power supplies, and connected an 5V ps not a 9V or 12V. Now it works with a 12V one. So now I know it does not work with an 5V ps. :)