IGNORED

This has to get more attention - a consumer DAC from RME

RME ADI-2 DAC (not Pro) 

Also at the US web site

Ultra-fidelity PCM/DSD 768 kHz DA Converter

rme_adi-2_dac_perspective_remote-CBnGIWT

"...To address the home and HiFi users, RME exchanged some of the Pro's studio features with typical home and HiFi ones. With an adapted feature set and much simplified operation RME proudly presents the ADI-2 DAC..."

iem.jpg

It is really unique with it's combination of Pro grade engineering and Consumer finesse. 

Like the Pro it boasts phenomenal analog & digital specs from a highly respectable no BS company - take a look!

For me it makes sense - Pro audio companies has a substantially larger market compared with boutique audiophilia which translates to considerably larger R&D resources, procurement power and sharing of knowledge and parts with the company's pro gear, which is usually years ahead in the digital domain. It is about time they will turn to our segments with minor tweaks to their existing products.

Highlights for me that set it apart other pro gear:

- Nicer to look at, with nice functional display that can be turned off from the remote or using auto timer

a remote!

- DSD 

- RCA analog out (instead of the usual PL in Pro gear) 

- No drivers needed for Mac, for Windows the drivers supports both ASIO and WDM so it can be used as the default device

- Very interesting IEM solution, in addition to the exceptional phones amp

- the ADI-2 Pro can be switched between internal or external clock for multi-channel stacking, I wonder if this one has this too, since it is based on the Pro. Also the Coax digital in is both SPDIF and AES compatible. 

- last here but not least: major DSP capabilities including calibrated Loudness control! I wonder if it is functional at native DSD, wouldn't surprise me if it is, coming fron RME. 

$999 on their US website. 

31 minutes ago, One and a half said:

There's something amiss with the DSD. This post refers. A whole thread on the DAC, worth the look.

Thanks! 

Note that the product I listed is slightly different then the ADI-2 Pro in the theard you referred to. I searched for ADI-2 DAC (which is geard for consumer use) before posting and couldn't find anything. Should've searched for the Pro as well but I was excited :P

Regarding DSD - From brief reading on the thread it seems that my suspicion (last highlight item) about the DSP is correct and that it is not active for DSD, this is not necessarily bad as most DACs don't even have DSP at all and many ppl (not me :p) are scared of adding processing to audio path anyway. 

Another issue is with DSD on ASIO which I'm not yet sure what is it about but that should be fixable by a driver/firmware upgrade (if still relevant in ADI-2 DAC model). 

BTW - Roon performs excellent software 64 bit DSP in native DSD! 

On paper quite a nice unit for $999. Will be interesting if on audition how it competes.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, mourip said:

Is it based on a Saber chip?

This reviewer seems to like it very much and states that it is using AK4490.

Few nice things I've learned from this review - 

1. The manual is really nice and explains a lot of the technology used. I find the power cleaning and "Extreme Power Headphone Outputs" very appealing indeed.

2. It has USB diagnostics 

3 hours ago, firedog said:

Will be interesting if on audition how it competes.

3. "Yes, this is coming from someone who is notorious for only enjoying R-2R DACs. I love multibit, vintage, NOS, tubes, and all the rest. But, I have to tell you, the RME ADI-2 DAC has almost made me forget I even own these things. It’s such a joy to use and listen to."

4. (bad) "Direct DSD" is only available through the RCA line outs. DSD, in general, is available through the headphones out but it is probably converted to PCM in order to go through the DSP. 

I trust RME and their specs. There is little room for BS with a renowned 20 yo German pro-audio company :)

They state this in the manual without being shy - 

"Latest 32 bit / 768 kHz converters offer up to 120 dBA signal to noise ratio. This value is not only printed in the brochure – it is what the unit achieves in real-world operation."

• 5 weeks later...

headfonics reviewed this and it scored outstanding.  

https://headfonics.com/2018/04/rme-adi-2-dac-review/

I'm seriously considering this over the mytek liberty right now.  This seems to be selling well as retailers are backordered.  

This guy measured it, and found it to be one of the best measuring DACs he's hooked up to:

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-rme-adi-2-dac.2582/

4 hours ago, buonassi said:

I'm seriously considering this over the mytek liberty right now.  This seems to be selling well as retailers are backordered.  

This guy measured it, and found it to be one of the best measuring DACs he's hooked up to:

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-rme-adi-2-dac.2582/

Yes, for that price it seems like a real bargain. Let us know what you think if you buy it. 
Personally, I like the way it looks. A lot of audiophiles probably won't.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 5/2/2018 at 10:22 PM, buonassi said:

Take those measurements with a grain of salt.

11 minutes ago, runnin17 said:

Care to explain instead of just making a blanket statement without anything to back it up....

Oh please. A google search will pick up plenty of folks who have issues with his measurements, including here. I didn't say they're worthless. I said a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, wushuliu said:

So you *didn't* do a search then?

I've been researching this DAC, albeit casually.  I haven't come across anything that would suggest it's a shoddy piece of equipment.  

I think the burden on proof is on the poster making the claim.  So, I'd appreciate it if you'd supply a link or two in the spirit of consumer protection. 

I don't think wushu was questioning the dac, he was questioning the validity of the measurements by that individual and whether you should choose something based on them. There is plenty of information on Amir out there. Personally I have no reason to disbelieve Amir, but surely this is a completely different subject?

I have this dac and find it excellent. No real faults so far except that the spdif input wasn't quite sensitive enough for 192 khz material using my auralic aries. I eventually used a aes-coax converter and the extra voltage did the trick. Couldn't tell the difference in sound at lower res so the converter didn't degrade anything that I could tell. No problem whatsoever using USB input. Fantastic bit of kit. No complaints at all.

7 minutes ago, gridlock74 said:

I don't think wushu was questioning the dac, he was questioning the validity of the measurements by that individual and whether you should choose something based on them. There is plenty of information on Amir out there. Personally I have no reason to disbelieve Amir, but surely this is a completely different subject?

I agree with you, but the burden of proof is still on him.

No electron left behind.

4 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

do you wish you were 70+?

Not a problem if you retire at 50.  Well not for 20 years anyway. :)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.