IGNORED

SOTM SMS-200 vs. PC/JRiver

Your title is misleading, you can keep the PC/JRiver and add the SOTM SMS-200 (it's a renderer).  Better yet, SQ, incorporate the sCLK-EX clocking board.  Many options in doing this with or without the SMS-200.  I prefer to go right at the source, the PC and bypass any added components.  I use JRiver.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

23 minutes ago, Nordkapp said:

So i guess I'd use Jriver as the renderer and the sms200 as server w/backup DID attached. Sound right?

just the opposite -- you would use jriver on the pc as the server and the sms200 as the renderer.

if you have a nas, you can install minimserver on the nas to be the server -- takes the pc out of the equation.

i also think you can install minimserver on the sms200 (and attach the drive), but i think most folks have found it better to not attach the drive to the sms200.

i'd play around with it and see what you like best.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • 2 weeks later...

Just last night I pulled my SMS-200 out of the chain and plugged back into my PC after about 5 months of strictly SMS-200 listening.  The reason for doing so was because I was contemplating the T+A DSD DAC and you need a Windows machine to output DSD512.

I could not BELIEVE how bad my PC sounded in comparison, it was almost hilarious.  Mind you it was coming straight out of the motherboard without the endless string of USB dongles attached.  The sound was thin, grayish in color, sterile, and flat in comparison to SMS-200.  I can't believe I listened to that PC for so long before and enjoyed it; ignorance was bliss because there was no way I could go back to that.  I have found it is much easier to perceive degradation of sound quality versus when you step up in class from a sound you're familiar with.

It made me rethink my T+A Dac purchase entirely because I really do not want to tie up thousands of dollars and a string of gizmos to get a PC USB port to sound decent.  I ended up buying a Directstream Dac instead and am sticking with the SoTM renderer forgoing their bridge.

5 hours ago, emcdade said:

Just last night I pulled my SMS-200 out of the chain and plugged back into my PC after about 5 months of strictly SMS-200 listening.  The reason for doing so was because I was contemplating the T+A DSD DAC and you need a Windows machine to output DSD512.

I could not BELIEVE how bad my PC sounded in comparison, it was almost hilarious.  Mind you it was coming straight out of the motherboard without the endless string of USB dongles attached.  The sound was thin, grayish in color, sterile, and flat in comparison to SMS-200.  I can't believe I listened to that PC for so long before and enjoyed it; ignorance was bliss because there was no way I could go back to that.  I have found it is much easier to perceive degradation of sound quality versus when you step up in class from a sound you're familiar with.

It made me rethink my T+A Dac purchase entirely because I really do not want to tie up thousands of dollars and a string of gizmos to get a PC USB port to sound decent.  I ended up buying a Directstream Dac instead and am sticking with the SoTM renderer forgoing their bridge.

The SOtM sMS-200 is a nice renderer, excellent sound and value.

• 11 months later...
On 4/2/2018 at 3:03 PM, jcn3 said:

just the opposite -- you would use jriver on the pc as the server and the sms200 as the renderer.

if you have a nas, you can install minimserver on the nas to be the server -- takes the pc out of the equation.

i also think you can install minimserver on the sms200 (and attach the drive), but i think most folks have found it better to not attach the drive to the sms200.

i'd play around with it and see what you like best.

Hi, jcn3:

if hard drive is not attached to sMS 200, where should I plug the hard drive?  I am newbi to this platform.  Thank you very much for your help!

3 hours ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Hi, jcn3:

if hard drive is not attached to sMS 200, where should I plug the hard drive?  I am newbi to this platform.  Thank you very much for your help!

I have an external HDD in a hard drive dock like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Newer-Voyager-USB3-0-Super-NWTU3S3HD/dp/B007TTQQIA

connected via USB to my SMS-200.  I run MPD on the SMS-200 and use an iOS app called "Soundirok" to control the play functions.  It is a simple setup and does not require a PC on the network to run.

If you want to use JRiver you will need to run it on a PC on your home network and either connect the HDD to your PC or connected to the SMS-200 as I have described above.  You then point JRiver at the HDD location to load it as a library to play your music files.

For (much) more information read this thread.

The SMS200 (with music on an NAS) has bin in my chain for almost 2 years. Then I started experimenting with Windows Server 2016 with Audiophile Optimiser feeding my DAC directly. It was a simple passive cooled Celeron PC. The soundquality outperformed the sms200 and realised it had huge potential. From there on I started optimising the server and this is still ongoing. Besides the high sound quality and the flexibility it is very much fun to do. 

21 hours ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Hi, jcn3:

i agree with what @ClothEars suggested -- if you're using JRiver as a server, then connect the USB drive to that machine and include those files in the JRiver library.  you can attach the USB drive to the sms200, but others have said it doesn't sound as good that way.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
10 hours ago, jcn3 said:

i agree with what @ClothEars suggested -- if you're using JRiver as a server, then connect the USB drive to that machine and include those files in the JRiver library.  you can attach the USB drive to the sms200, but others have said it doesn't sound as good that way.

Indeed, it worked out very well.  Also, it is really convenient because it is almost the same way as I used to work with JRiver.

Usually the problem is not the PC but the USB port. 

I tried Win 10 PC ethernet bridge to Pro iDSD

ultraRendu -> Pro iDSD

SMS200 -> Pro iDSD

Direct bridge to Pro iDSD actually sounds better, but if I run it off USB port, it's clear behind all 3 options. 

Alienware R7 with Paul Pang V2 USB PCIE -> iFi Pro iDSD -> McIntosh MHA100 -> Hifiman Susvara. Keeping it simple!