IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

8 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Given that all the major 10MHz reference clocks on the market have both 50 and 75 ohm outputs, why does it matter which we choose for input?

I have an expensive Habst 50-ohm cable available for a switch.  I am not interested in buying a 75-ohm cable, which in my situation, would raise the cost of ownership of an EtherREGEN to the same level as the expensive switch you alluded to above.

Man, this is getting way too fast folks.  

Lets let Alex do his thing. I am sure that he can adapt over time to market pressure and needs.  I know that I am one of the folks that will not be using external clocks.  My system is so complicated now that I do not want to think about how to have others run it. And if something goes wrong who can debug it?   Different apps, switching inputs on the DAC and the Amp; Whew.   

I am sure that some are invested in all three sides of the clock problem.    

Thanks, Alex for the updates.  Back to listening to music

Image 11-6-18 at 12.46 PM.jpg

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Frankly we went back and forth about even including the external clock option since we don't want to give the impression that use of one is required to obtain superior performance.

This external clock stuff is BS anyway so I am surprised that you decided to add a feature that hardly anyone would use. All it does is make the switch more expensive and make it look like you think external clocks actually matter on an Ethernet switch.

If anything, having the external clock option makes me LESS likely to buy the switch.

3 minutes ago, diecaster said:

This external clock stuff is BS anyway so I am surprised that you decided to add a feature that hardly anyone would use. All it does is make the switch more expensive and make it look like you think external clocks actually matter on an Ethernet switch.

Who says pandering to our base is a bad thing?  This isn't politics. x-D

Besides, between the BNC connector, a switch, a transistor, a resistor, a small chip, an extra opening cut in the rear, and a few more lines of code to flash to enable selecting internal or external clock--it adds about $6 to our cost.

Frankly we are including it mostly so that those who are already using fancy clocks will try our switch--and then realize that the significant factors that make ours superior do not depend up an external clock.  The extra connector is a checklist item for them.

And hey, a reasonable number of people are reporting benefit to the clocking, so who are we--or YOU--to say? B|

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Sorry Tommy, we can't do that.  

a) It goes completely against my business ethics to accept money in advance for a product that does not yet have production PCBs and cases in production with firm delivery dates;

But Alex, this model worked out so well for Larry Ho/LH Labs (take money, deliver nothing)!   Think of all the stuff you could buy.

Unfortunately this model did not work so well for consumers.  I miss my $3,000.  That could have paid for 5 season ski passes :(  

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

1 minute ago, Superdad said:

Who says pandering to our base is a bad thing?  This isn't politics. x-D

Besides, between the BNC connector, a switch, a transistor, a resistor, a small chip, an extra opening cut in the rear, and a few more lines of code to flash to enable selecting internal or external clock--it adds about $6 to our cost.

Frankly we are including it mostly so that those who are already using fancy clocks will try our switch--and then realize that the significant factors that make ours superior do not depend up an external clock.  The extra connector is a checklist item for them.

And hey, a reasonable number of people are reporting benefit to the clocking, so who are we--or YOU--to say? B|

$6 in parts is what, $30 to $39 at retail? That's not chicken feed when 99% of the people buying the switch won't use it. Now, if you said you were including it for free and weren't blowing smoke I might have a different opinion.

This word clock stuff is stupid if you buy stuff with good clocks. My DAC, for example, ignores all external clocks on all interfaces. Has John done any testing yet that suggest word clocks provide any benefit at the DAC?

Reasonable people? I have yet to see anyone come up with a technical explanation of why word clocks are worthwhile for home audio. People believing what they hear sounds better is not compelling evidence.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/does-your-studio-need-digital-master-clock

32 minutes ago, diecaster said:

If anything, having the external clock option makes me LESS likely to buy the switch.

Hi @Superdad,

Alex I'm not attacking but providing a different perspective and quoting Diecaster as my view is the polar opposite of his.

I have 3k invested in a sCLK-OCX10 which makes a great difference in my USB path.

It's 75 ohm so if your EtherRegen isn't able to support that then you've just solved a purchasing decision for me and SoTM are far more likely to get my money because sadly the Uptone switch no longer works for me.

I may well be an edge case but I'm also not alone.

Sorry if this is a headache for you but that's my perspective.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

8 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

It's 75 ohm so if your EtherRegen isn't able to support that then you've just solved a purchasing decision for me and SoTM are far more likely to get my money because sadly the Uptone switch no longer works for me.

You wont sleep before you have tried both options ?

26 minutes ago, diecaster said:

$6 in parts is what, $30 to $39 at retail?

Nope.  UpTone's direct to consumer business model means that our retail prices are just 2-3 times total product parts costs.

9 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

I have 3k invested in a sCLK-OCX10 which makes a great difference in my USB path.

I get it Alan.  But what will you do if the EtherREGEN outperforms the SOtM switch even without feeding an external clock?  9_9

Some folks are today getting really hung up on this clock issue.  But what I have trying to explain is that our piece is about way more than clocking.  Perhaps I reopened the thread too soon because we are not yet ready to explain all of what makes what we are doing unique (and for propriety reasons we will have to decide just how much to reveal even when we do).

6 minutes ago, k-man said:

I didn't really want to post like I'm on the advisory board, just a humble and satisfied Uptone user who hardly makes posts nowadays.

Your constructive input is always welcome.  :)

I'll just say that I've been in audio manufacturing long enough to state that customizations and changes are never efficient and lead to loss of profitability.  Which eventually leads to higher prices and slow down in delivery.

46 minutes ago, diecaster said:

This word clock stuff is stupid if you buy stuff with good clocks. My DAC, for example, ignores all external clocks on all interfaces. 

I don't want to go too far off topic but this thread is about a network switch with better clocking so I'm going to refute the above on three counts.

1. The clocking in the TX-USBultra made an immediate audible improvement. (Replacing the LPS-1 with the LPS-1.2 improved it again ?)

2. Adding the sCLK-OCX10 lifted it even further.

3. I've discussed this with Ted Smith and he didn't say the Directstream was immune to clocking upstream.

The Directstream is a great DAC but improvements upstream help it perform even better. Which is why we're on this thread with high hopes for what Alex and John might manage!

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

3 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Your constructive input is always welcome.  :)

I'll just say that I've been in audio manufacturing long enough to state that customizations and changes are never efficient and lead to loss of profitability.  Which eventually leads to higher prices and slow down in delivery.

Thanks Superdad,

Paul Hynes SR7 comes my to mind in that aspect. Perhaps I was thinking more the iPhone Xs, XsMax and XR options but that also doesn't exist in the audiophile world haha.

Good luck with the Feb launch! ?

5 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

1. The clocking in the TX-USBultra made an immediate audible improvement. (Replacing the LPS-1 with the LPS-1.2 improved it again ?)

2. Adding the sCLK-OCX10 lifted it even further.

8 minutes ago, Superdad said:

But what I have trying to explain is that our piece is about way more than clocking.  Perhaps I reopened the thread too soon because we are not yet ready to explain all of what makes what we are doing unique (and for propriety reasons we will have to decide just how much to reveal even when we do).

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

20 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

.....3. I've discussed this with Ted Smith and he didn't say the Directstream was immune to clocking upstream.

The Directstream is a great DAC but improvements upstream help it perform even better. 

Yes definitely true for the PS Audio Junior. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers.