Superdad

EtherREGEN: Early general details [Please don't ask too many questions yet!]

Rate this topic

Yes,

the SFP port is Gigabit. It supports SFP speed negotiation, but what you plug into it has to also support speed negotiation if you want to run slower than Gigabit. Not all modules do. When it powers up it is running Gigabit, if the module supports speed negotiation and wants to run slower it will do so.

Note that the SFP port is not the "clean port", it is essentially the same as the other Ethernet ports.

John S.

3 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

@JohnSwenson

How is the progress 😀 ?

Just fine, thanks.  We are not going to share details of exactly where we are in development.  Still looking forward to a summer release as planned.  :D

16 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Yes,

the SFP port is Gigabit. It supports SFP speed negotiation, but what you plug into it has to also support speed negotiation if you want to run slower than Gigabit. Not all modules do. When it powers up it is running Gigabit, if the module supports speed negotiation and wants to run slower it will do so.

Note that the SFP port is not the "clean port", it is essentially the same as the other Ethernet ports.

John S.

great, right what I need: 10/100 for just the endpoint and Gigabit for everything else :)

when I tried using a Fast ethernet switch for everything, all was fine but uploading new music to the NAS was pita slow 9_9

(plus... finding 10/100 SFPs is becoming pretty hard, at least here)

can't wait :D

Dear Alex & John,

I was wondering if you guys were going to include or recommend particular ethernet cables for use with this unit?

I'm also curious if in your investigation you guys have looked at the length of ethernet cables as a variable/factor? Ideally it'd be a good cable like a Cat6 Belden bonded that has been terminated and sold by Belden (that way you'd know it's authentic). Belden bonded is a good candidate as it's more likely to maintain the same structure throughout its entire length, especially after coiling.

So perhaps comparing that cable above in lengths such as: less than 1m, 1-2m, 3m, 10m, 20m.

You can do this for not only the final 'clean' run, but also for the cables connecting to this switch.

If you had done this sort of test with other switches in the past or your own switch, I would love to compare notes and see if you guys noticed any differences and which way the results went.

Thanks!

I guess I missed that the other 'dirty' ports are full gigabit.

Is there any concern about the amount of activity in the switch?

Is it better to have less traffic on the other (non-10/100 'clean')  ports?

6 hours ago, cat6man said:

I guess I missed that the other 'dirty' ports are full gigabit.

Is there any concern about the amount of activity in the switch?

Is it better to have less traffic on the other (non-10/100 'clean')  ports?

Note we have not actually built this yet, so I can't say for sure, but this is being designed such that what happens with the other ports does not affect the "clean" port.

John S.

13 hours ago, Superdad said:

He is getting closer.  The bare PCBs for the "clock cascade/blocking test/validation board" are on hand, but there are so many parts for the board that he decided to finish building his parts placing robot.  Below is an early pic.  It is MUCH further along now; control board wiring, camera mounting, vacuum pick-up, and computer connections are all being finished now.  I can't wait until it is done so he can post a video of it in action.

5af79365b200b_2018-04-2818_04_49.thumb.jpg.30d88dbb407feffd7ef2f044c838c66d.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2060de9cb713f96imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2060de9cb713f96

Definitely need a video seeing this in action!! Can't wait :-)

14 minutes ago, Jiffi32 said:

Definitely need a video seeing this in action!! Can't wait :-)

I imagine it'll look something like this:

The question in my mind is, what's wrong with commercially available pick and place machines?

16 minutes ago, Superdad said:

It can take many hours to hand-place a 100+ tiny parts—with high risk of error.

I can imagine.

This DIY kit placer (LitePlacer.com) from Finland is just $2K, and the support John has received from them (including updated parts, spare part sent FedEx, etc.) has been extraordinary.

Oh, it's a kit. That makes sense. I got the impression it was something he'd built from scratch.

Plus, John already has a countertop vapor-phase reflow oven that does beautiful soldering—even with QFN and BGA parts. :D

That certainly helps.

On 4/24/2018 at 8:25 PM, JohnSwenson said:

The switch is designed to be used with the "clean port", the 10/100 one connecting directly to the critical device for audio, (ultraRendu etc) and all other connections, such as servers, NAS, compute engines etc. go into one of the other ports which are full gigabit.

Putting some other standard device in between our switch and the critical audio device (ultraRendu etc) just puts back in leakage and clock noise, negating what this switch is all about.

John S.

I currently have an AQVox switch, a Melco N1ZH60-2 (double RJ45 port) and a Lumin A1. Connection is from AQVox to Melco and from the second port RJ 45 to Lumin. I deduce from your answer that using your switch you should connect Melco to the dirty port of Uptone and the Clean Port of Uptone to Lumin, better than Clean Port from Uptone to Melco and second port from Melco to Lumin?

3 hours ago, nonesup said:

I currently have an AQVox switch, a Melco N1ZH60-2 (double RJ45 port) and a Lumin A1. Connection is from AQVox to Melco and from the second port RJ 45 to Lumin. I deduce from your answer that using your switch you should connect Melco to the dirty port of Uptone and the Clean Port of Uptone to Lumin, better than Clean Port from Uptone to Melco and second port from Melco to Lumin?

Correct, you want the clean port to be the last thing going into the Ethernet jack of whatever is the last Ethernet point in the audio chain.

John S.

Not yet, that is the next phase, the clock research.

I'm building a test setup with a board with 5 possible ways of dealing with clocks, a test signal generator which starts with an ultra low phase noise clock and modulates it to generate a specific phase noise marker that will never exist naturally. This clock will be used to clock various parts of the digital audio chain feeding into a DAC, whose output goes into a 24 bit ADC which is clocked with yet another ultra low phase noise clock. I've been working on a suite of software to analyze the output of the DAC which should show any actual analog differences coming out of the DAC.

Everything is all up and running except for the test board, I have the raw boards but have not stuffed it yet, there are a LOT of parts on this board and I don't really want to do it by hand. I've been building a DIY pick and place machine kit and decided to place the board with this. It is all built and wired up and I'm going through the setup and calibration phase right now. I should have it up and running in a couple days and I can then assemble the last board and get this test setup actually working.

So barring some unforeseen situation I should be getting results in a couple months. There is a LOT to do to get the test setup working properly.

John S.

I’m locking this thread until we have further news to report on the EtherREGEN. Can’t afford distractions at this time. 😎