Superdad

EtherREGEN: Early general details [Please don't ask too many questions yet!]

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Why 4 ports ?

- Router (not everyone will use optical fiber)

- NAS

- Player (computer/network streamer)

- DSP (eg. HQ-Player, on a separate machine)

(- Network renderer -> OUT)

;)

14 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

- NAS

- Player (computer/network streamer)

- DSP (eg. HQ-Player, on a separate machine)

- Router (not everyone will use optical fiber)

(- Network renderer -> OUT)

;)

But there is no difference in the switch you already have vs The Audio Switch. My understanding or reason for making this switch is the one 10/100 out to your endpoint or equal. There is where the difference is. But I could be wrong. 

Maybe that “dirty” side also have some magic ?

Also you would try to keep those devices you mentioned in a reasonable distance from your audio gear. (Ref. also JohnS latest post in another thread). 

If you want to create something a bit odd, (or magical), you could make the switch Poe, and make a Poe MicroRendu, and save one LPS-1.2. Not to mention the SMPS.

Maybe use a long Ethernet cable from switch to the Rendu. 

And and I like to hear a good explanation about what’s wrong with Poe 😀

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

For two different rooms or ?

I have 2 DACs in my main setup using 2 different NAA devices.  A SoTM for the dCS and a Win10 NUC for the Lampizator.  

5 hours ago, R1200CL said:

What I don’t yet have studied is how well Roon do multichannel and if such a product could act as an endpoint.

Just learnd Roon do multichannel over HMDI. 

So I think HMDI-Rendu will be available within next 18 months 😀

Hopefully this year. 

Which make the agument for dual output for The Audio Switch quite valid, as you use your present endpoint for stero and  a HMDI endpoint for multichannel. 

Unless we may may have a surprise and the Uptone Switch will include HMDI 😀

(I don’t think so). 

18 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Just learnd Roon do multichannel over HMDI. 

So I think HMDI-Rendu will be available within next 18 months 😀

Hopefully this year. 

Which make the agument for dual output for The Audio Switch quite valid, as you use your present endpoint for stero and  a HMDI endpoint for multichannel. 

Unless we may may have a surprise and the Uptone Switch will include HMDI 😀

(I don’t think so). 

Sorry Andreas, but I don't follow what you are speaking of with regards HDMI. 

Are you talking about I2S over LVDS using HDMI cabling and jacks?

I certainly can't imagine you are speaking of the audio standards within HDMI video connections.  But your reference to multi-channel leads that way.

Of course new methods of moving high-res audio (with whatever number of channels) are possible, and the multiple pairs of HDMI cabling is attractive for high-speed signaling (a more radical, further out project of ours already pushes in that direction, but we speak not  of it at all). 

But none of this has anything to do with Ethernet or endpoint rendering--at least not regards our EtherREGEN product (please stop referring to it as The Audio Switch; I'll not have a product with the abbreviation TAS).  And if you are referring to some form of Sonore Rendu with I2S (LVDS over HDMI) output, then you'd best take your wishes over to the Sonore forum.

Otherwise I think you are just confusing people here with made up ideas of things that would never appear on an Ethernet switch.  We are not putting a computer into this little box!  B|

Thanks,

--Alex C.

2 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

I have 2 DACs in my main setup using 2 different NAA devices.  A SoTM for the dCS and a Win10 NUC for the Lampizator.  

@Superdad Alex

Sorry to ask, but what about the previous query regarding 2 x Superclean Ethernet Outputs.

I have an Antipodes CORE music server that would need one Ethernet connection, and my Devialet amps (1000Pro) for the other Ethernet connection.

Any chance of the 2 x Superclean ports being a goer, or is that a no go?

8 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Are you talking about I2S over LVDS using HDMI cabling and jacks?

Defiantly not.

A HMDI (multichannel) Roon endpoint is what I’m talking about. I understand is off topic, but such endpoint does not exist to my knowledge and would be a very useful product. 

Maybe you can comment on my questions about the EtherRegen ?

And I can perfectly understand TAS is not something you would like as a reference 😂😂😂

13 minutes ago, Celts88 said:

Any chance of the 2 x Superclean ports being a goer, or is that a no go?

I decline to state why, but that is a no-go.  Would require a second Ethernet switch chip.  If I say anything more we would begin to give away competitive details. Sorry.

Since the price of the product will be as reasonable as we can make it, so folks who really need 2 of the super-clean outputs may simply purchase two units.

Guess my system must be close to endgame since the only thing that is exciting me lately is the EtherREGEN!

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

I decline to state why, but that is a no-go.  Would require a second Ethernet switch chip.  If I say anything more we would begin to give away competitive details. Sorry.

Alex

Understand if it could compromise your design to keep quiet.

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Since the price of the product will be as reasonable as we can make it, so folks who really need 2 of the super-clean outputs may simply purchase two units.

That's really generous of you to offer 2-to-1 price, thanks I'll have 88 please :P

On a more serious note, do you think going to my Antipodes Server or Devialet Amp, which would give the best option for the Superclean Ethernet. I suppose when listening to Antipodes I plug that into the SC port, and when listening to internet streamed to Devialet Amp plug that into SC port.

I've currently got an Aqvox switch, so assume your EtherREGEN would be a better option than that

This could be a game changer for me... I was considering to send my wifi router to get it modded to get to a cleaner network. Perhaps EtherRegen would already do the trick for me.

looking forward to the details on:

1) recommended setup: I guess the typical setup for most people is - Modem --> Wifi Router --> switch --> a) NAS, b) Computer (probably a Roon Server), c) streamer. Where should EtherRegen(s) be placed

2) some technical explanations:

a) why the clean port is 10/100 not 10/1000?

b) the presence of the SFP, is it for bridging 2 EtherGen?

c) LPS1.2 can power EtherRegen?

d) best placement in the recommended setup and why?

@warpeon I dont think you will get much answers right now from @Superdad as the product is still in development. 

As the clean port is supposed to feed the streamer it should be placed right before it. In my system I would go from router to etherregen and connect my NUC with Roon ROCK on the dirty side of the etherregen and my SOtM sMS-200ultra on the clean streamer port.

I think it is easier to get a PHY chip with 10/100 cleaner than a 100/1000 but that part will perhaps be explained when more information is coming out.

I suppose the SFP is for them that wants to get totall galvanic isolation between two networks.

I think that Alex wrote the LPS-1 will power it.

As to the questions on PoE, it will not support PoE in any form. PoE works by running  very high voltage low current DC over the Ethernet wires (the wires are thin so it has to be low current), this requires very high ratio switching DC/DC converters on both ends. The converters are NOT known for being low noise. The whole purpose of this switch is to make things as low noise as possible, throwing in PoE would completely destroy that.

John S.

49 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

BUT the upstream cables still have leakage current running through them. Because of this it is a BAD idea to place the switch right in with your audio equipment. You want to keep it somewhat away from the audio system so noise from the upstream cable doesn't get picked up.

If the upstream cables uses your ground solution (JSSG) will the radiated noise still be a problem to consider in a system?  

4 hours ago, octaviars said:

If the upstream cables uses your ground solution (JSSG) will the radiated noise still be a problem to consider in a system?  

Yes if the cables are shielded properly with my shielding techniques then the radiated leakage current is hugely reduced so it will not a be a problem.

John S.

@JohnSwenson

Number 1 can be done today by those switches you already tested + the JSGT I suppose. 

Number 2 is probably the magic 😀

Now, I must have been missing or mixing something from the other treads. 

If a LPS-1/1.2 is powering on those present mentioned switches, and the Meanwell is modified with the shunt or I use the new UASMPS, do I still need to add JSGT on the DC comming from the LPS-1/1.2 powering that switch (Cisco SG108D-08 / Netgear FS105 as an example). ?

Reding you post here makes me believe so. (Ground the EtherRegen If LPS-1/1.2 is in use)

Or maybe this only applies the the EtherRegen, as described in your post above ?

My previous understanding was shunt the Meanwell, and the JSGT would apply for those switches. The alternative was just using the supplied SMPS with the switch and take the minus to earth. 

Sorry for asking this that probably has been explained so many times already.

2 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

@JohnSwenson

Now, I must have been missing or mixing something from the other treads. 

If a LPS-1/1.2 is powering on those present mentioned switches, and the Meanwell is modified with the shunt or I use the new UASMPS, do I still need to add JSGT on the DC comming from the LPS-1/1.2 powering that switch (Cisco SG108D-08 / Netgear FS105 as an example). ?

Yes,

the blocking of upstream leakage only happens when the ground plane in the switch is actually grounded. The easiest way to make sure that happens is to ground the negative of the power supply. Some switches have a ground screw, but that just grounds the CASE, NOT the ground plane of the PCB.

The LPS-1(.2) deliberately blocks the ground connection from the input to output, so even if the INPUT is grounded, the output is NOT grounded. Thus a separate ground connection on the output is required if you want to get rid of the leakage from upstream network devices.

The new switch will contain a similar connection scheme as is used on the "special" switches so the upstream leakage reduction works in the same way.

John S.

6 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Yes an LPS-1.2 can power it, but you have to be careful there. As with what I have been talking about in other threads, part of the leakage blocking needs a ground connection to the switch. The LPS-1.2 specifically isolates the ground so you will need another way to ground the switch. We will most likely be adding some form of grounding connection on the case for this purpose. The UASMPS provided with the switch already has the DC output grounded so no separate grounding needs to be done. The internal power network in the switch will be extremely good, the result is that there should be no advantage to using an LPS-1.2.

Now suddenly that SFP port makes a lot of sense 😀

Use that fiber interface and no additional grounding is needed if a LPS-1 / 1.2 is used as power. Correct ?

6 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

blocks clocking issues from upstream network devices and provides its own very low phase noise clocking on the "clean" port.

By 'upstream network devices' does that mean only modem/router or any device connected to one of the input ports such as a NAS.