IGNORED

DR restoring filter?

Given the loudness wars, I cannot imagine it is impossible to restore some of the dynamic range in a compressed recording. I understand that when music clips, or when you're using the top 2 MSBs in the 16bit word, you're not going to be able to recover resolution as you expand DR, but something better than nothing is surely possible.

I would pay good money for such a filter.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Conversion to DSD might take some of the close-to-clip edge off, but will do nothing for DR.

I am thinking of a DR expander that is smarter that simply just a non-linear transformation (think of the curves adjustment in photography, which is basically what the compressor is doing). The filter can be somewhat undone, albeit you will loose some resolution as the compression effectively "packs the music into the top significant bits".

The "smarts" of the filter would come in:

1- Recovery of some of that resolution

2- Appropriate expansion for some specific common compressor settings (it seems like just a few compression devices are generally used)

@Miska, @mansr, any ideas?

Thx!

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

@mitchco Saw your post on @Archimago 's article:

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2017/08/musings-increasing-dynamic-range-of.html

You mentioned the 1176LN is very common. I don't know how different the effect can be for different settings, but again would not be shocked if some common settings are generally used. So I am thinking one could try to profile it and create a few common DR restoration filters to somewhat undo the effect.

Is this something feasible? Desirable?

Thx.

system pics

Software like Perfect Declipper extrapolate and add information. By that I mean that make guesses at what might have been in the original sound and add information that may or may not have been there. So you are giving up any chance at listening to what is really there.

It may or may not sound better...but so what if it does sound better? A lot of what you will be hearing is not real.

15 minutes ago, diecaster said:

Software like Perfect Declipper extrapolate and add information. By that I mean that make guesses at what might have been in the original sound and add information that may or may not have been there. So you are giving up any chance at listening to what is really there.

It may or may not sound better...but so what if it does sound better? A lot of what you will be hearing is not real.

Yes, of course. But I found the Paul McCartney album "Memory Almost Full" unlistenable because of the volume compression (I liked the songs). A friend gave me a version run through a "Declipper" and it made it listenable for me.  So I don't care if it is "real"or not - I prefer it. No different than someone who prefers a heavy tube coloration to their playback. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

6 hours ago, diecaster said:

I get that for cases where clipping happens you just lost the information and will have to invent something - so does upsampling, but I get your point.

However, there's also compression meaning a waveform that say spans 15dB are compressed to 5dB so that everything sounds louder. Obviously that compression does loose resolution (aka bit depth) but one could also interpolate those to a higher bit depth - which is what I would be looking for in a filter. 

But I am just speculating and would like to know what is feasible here...

system pics

9 hours ago, mitchco said:

However, there are many declippers out there. One that gets a lot of attention is the http://www.perfectdeclipper.com/ You might want to check it out. Plus @dallasjustice is a user and could give you his impressions...

That's pretty impressive in terms of removing clipping noise. I would like to expand the DR though which I get the impression this is not quite doing.

EDIT: I take that back, looking at "Stereo Tool" there seems to be appropriate instructions.

Also: this is a VST plugin. Roon has said they will not support this because the mechanism requires access to the VST configuration interface, and it would be cumbersome with the choices Roon has made for audio distribution. It might be possible to use it with Audirvana though.

system pics