IGNORED

Not Audio Related But I'm Desperate - Is There Such A Thing As A Good Automobile Forum Online?

1 hour ago, TubeLover said:

First time I've heard that comment about Audi's, and the R8.

It wasn't meant to need a trigger warning.  The part that was less incendiary is the modern large displacement engines found in cars you are looking at need to be taken up to temperature and given WOT often.  One may be more prone to gunking up, another failing to lubricate properly, yet another requiring a long break in to fully remove particulates and settle in, etc and so on.  This can be a hard to discuss topic with owners that don't have the quick reflexes or driving skills to feel safe putting their vehicle through the paces on par with the amount of cruising Rodeo Dr. or some other shopping mall they have done.

We in the US are running out of places to use a car with lots of potential.  The one with highest chance of damage is going out on an open track with a bunch of people you can't be sure have skill or experience.  Airports runways used to be the safe and fun option.  The two guys who did a top speed run off the side of a cliff at an airport in CO (I hope nobody is unimpressed by this link) has reduced interest in allowing enthusiasts access to unused runways.  

The only reason I posted anything today was to help further your internal discussion.  Taking jabs at anyone or their opinion wasn't at all on my mind. 

8 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Ferraris are funny when it comes to value. A "used" Ferrari seems to lose about 50% of it's value almost immediately (like you state above), and then, with most models, the value starts to climb again after so many years (with certain exceptions. For instance, I doubt if the 1980's Mondials will ever be worth much). 

The Ferrari SUV market in another 30 years is going to be interesting.  No 4 door has ever sold or collected all that well.  

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

Mercedes 280SL: Square, even dull

I'd take an SL period.  AMG prefered. Square and dull I've got that covered.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

Fuck it, just get the Lamborghini Urus and be done with it... ;)

I don't particularly like Lambos. I know they're fast, and they have a certain visual appeal, but only two have ever interested me: The original GT350/400 with the Carrozzeria Touring body and the P400 Miura. $200K for an SUV? That'll be the day. I wouldn't even want a Alfa Stelvio, and I don't care how fast it went around Nordschleife! The idea of sports car branded SUVs is the height of silliness to me. YMMV!

George

Doc, yer divin' me nuts with all this Porsche talk... I sold my 61 356 Super 90 in a weak moment 40 yrs ago and been droolin' over every 911 I see since. Don't understand why the wife won't let me sell the house to get one.

I brief stint with a 84 944 was fun, but still ...

Please note that these comments comes after a long evening of celebrating a dear friends retirement party. I know, based on mildly acerbic comments from the fiance that I consumed two bottles of champagne and a bit more beyond that. 

I "may" be leaning towards a Porsche resolution to my dilemma, but need some seat time in a 911 very soon to see if I fit well enough to make it worthwhile. Yes, I love the Cayman GT4,  magical, and brilliant car, and I owned a Cayman S not so many years ago, but the cabins are very tight for me, and the road noise did not allow them to be a daily driver. 

If I were to buy a 911, it would almost have to be a car that had been enhanced with a wide body kit. Otherwise they all look the same, in their many varieties, excepting the big guns, the RS3's, the RS2's and their variants that I can neither afford or are really cars for the street. 

I SO wish the Maserati GranTurino was buyable, I became very attached to it on my two extended drives. :(

Doc, and whoever else it was that replied....what was the vintage of the cars you drove that were less than reliable? My research shows that 2010, and especially 2013 and later models were surprisingly good in that category. 

As for the Audi R8, I really, really liked that car, but, my dear friend from Audi has admitted that it can't deal with deep snow, should not be anyone's only car, etc. 

I have no idea where I am know, in terms of what car is my best option, and suspect I will look at this in the morning and perhaps have no idea what I even meant to say. But I think I probably meant it.

JC

12 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I don't particularly like Lambos. I know they're fast, and they have a certain visual appeal, but only two have ever interested me: The original GT350/400 with the Carrozzeria Touring body and the P400 Miura. $200K for an SUV? That'll be the day. I wouldn't even want a Alfa Stelvio, and I don't care how fast it went around Nordschleife! The idea of sports car branded SUVs is the height of silliness to me. YMMV!

Perhaps...but if Aston Martin brings this to market I may sell my soul.  Just think of them as "Elevated Station Wagons"!:D

image.thumb.jpeg.88fedfa403f160aa2fefdfe948d552a7.jpeg

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

48 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

Perhaps...but if Aston Martin brings this to market I may sell my soul.  Just think of them as "Elevated Station Wagons"!:D

The false association to adventure is where these crossovers between a high ranking military officers field transport and a luxury sports car got appealing.  They are good at nothing but parading with their nose up in the air through urban battlefields.  Mall crawling elevated station wagons at least have package hauling structured into their design implementations.  Think of these "SUV" as a handmade pair of dress pants with no place to put wallet or keys.  Designed to carry only the occupant through life in style.  :)

3 hours ago, jcbenten said:

I sold my soul for an Aston Martin, the first Vanquish, took the 3rd one delivered in the USA and it sucked.  It was the shortest love affair ever.  The thing would overheat nonstop despite the engine compartment using the "same bricks as the space shuttle" and that was all I needed. Dumped it as quick as I could which was a blessing as the DB9 came out shortly after I dumped it, for 80K less and drastically reduced the value of he original Vanquish owners; who threw a fit.  

3 hours ago, Priaptor said:

I sold my soul for an Aston Martin, the first Vanquish, took the 3rd one delivered in the USA and it sucked.  It was the shortest love affair ever.  The thing would overheat nonstop despite the engine compartment using the "same bricks as the space shuttle" and that was all I needed. Dumped it as quick as I could which was a blessing as the DB9 came out shortly after I dumped it, for 80K less and drastically reduced the value of he original Vanquish owners; who threw a fit.  

As I noted before, Aston Martin was one of the companies that my mechanical engineering friend has worked on projects for. His advice to me has ever been to stay the HELL away from anything made in Great Britain. He admits that Aston makes cars that are truly beautiful to look at, but otherwise, shouldn't be touched with a ten foot pole, much less a purchase agreement.

JC

5 hours ago, rando said:

The false association to adventure is where these crossovers between a high ranking military officers field transport and a luxury sports car got appealing.  They are good at nothing but parading with their nose up in the air through urban battlefields.  Mall crawling elevated station wagons at least have package hauling structured into their design implementations.  Think of these "SUV" as a handmade pair of dress pants with no place to put wallet or keys.  Designed to carry only the occupant through life in style.  :)

My middle "middle" name is Style.......................LOL!!

At least I can say I have not frequented malls in quite a number of years...which makes me I need to start a web shopping website...oh damn...

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

3 hours ago, Priaptor said:

I am jealous and thankful at the same time.  The Vanquish is a pretty car.  I would only get one with one foot in the grave.  Let my Executor have the headaches:cool:

25 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

As I noted before, Aston Martin was one of the companies that my mechanical engineering friend has worked on projects for. His advice to me has ever been to stay the HELL away from anything made in Great Britain. He admits that Aston makes cars that are truly beautiful to look at, but otherwise, shouldn't be touched with a ten foot pole, much less a purchase agreement.

JC

Intellectually I know this, but my heart looks achingly at them and can't help but want one anyway.

I did mention the Maser I nearly bought, it was pre-2010 model, IIRC 2008 most likely.

The GT4 isnt my Daily Driver, rather my fun day and nice weekend car.

No electron left behind.

14 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

As a general matter, you should avoid English food, cars, and women.  The beer is ok.

What exactly are your requirements for an SUV?  How much gnd. clearance, how good a traction system, etc. ??

Women?  Not a chance, god I love that accent...

Oh wait, I'm engaged.  never mind...

No electron left behind.