IGNORED

Not Audio Related But I'm Desperate - Is There Such A Thing As A Good Automobile Forum Online?

1 hour ago, rando said:

Guess what car maker, and especially model, is famous for dying a slow death when only used for trips to the supermarket or going a steady 65 the few miles into the office.  Audi and the Audi R8.  

Bull

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I'll eat the bull while you tend to the droppings. 

A short technical explanation to end this quickly.  Massive well tuned V10 engines, as found in the R8, languish under city driving conditions.  There is notable and repeatable history of oil, fuel, and carbon deposits greatly limiting the life and usefulness of these engines.  Observe the effects.

mbgy0xhqzt0cohsogypc.jpg   xqohojvinilgz7dkgf6u.jpg   l6clmdfiy9s4iejfpoq4.jpg

A common condition among cars too fast and powerful to actually use anywhere near their potential on open roads.  Being obscenely expensive they get babied and driven in a manner unlikely to produce any ill effects to preserve value.  You need to track a car like this regularly if you drive it regularly.  :)

Guess who just did a quick internet search and found a silly Jalopnik article?  Answer: Rando.  https://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-happens-when-you-dont-drive-your-v10-audi-1691976274

The pics you posted are from this article.

There is nothing you can tell me that I don't already know about carbon build up in Audi's.  Have you personally owned an Audi and had a carbon cleaning done?  I have. Did it for my old RS4.  Carbon cleaning is not a big deal.  Mine was $800.  You do it every 50,000 miles or so.  Also, guess what happens if you don't have the carbon cleaning done?  Does the car die?  Nope.  

Look, I'm not some fanboy of the Audi brand (I buy them because I need all wheel drive), but I've owned a number of Audi's over the last 20 years, spent countless hours on Audi forums and know the brand inside and out.  A quick internet search finding a Jalopnik article does not qualify you to make such overbroad and silly statements about Audis in general and particularly the R8 dying "a slow death" from not being driven hard.  Those comments are wildly inaccurate and irresponsible and don't even reflect what was written in the Jalopnik article

Here are some "before and after" carbon cleaning pics from my RS4 service:

Also, you can reply if you want but let's get back to Tubelover's car search and you can stop playing expert because you did a quick internet search, OK?

RS4 port 1.jpg

Rs4 port 2.jpg

rs4 port 3.jpg

rs4 port 4.jpg

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

....and the expected intellectually lazy and predictable reply.  How original Rando!  

When busted for posting erroneous information, resort to the standard "oh sorry for hurting your feelings" bit.  It's old Rando.  But hey, I love you.  Keep up the good work.

Anyway, seriously, let's get back to TubeLover's search.   Sorry for the thread derail TubeLover.

Clearly, the fix to the problem is to buy a Singer reimagined Porsche 911...  Statement made.

;)

Edit: I am once again starting to drive my Cayman GT4 for the year and god this car is wonderful, and the most glorious, sonorously beautiful exhaust note of any car, anywhere.

No electron left behind.

I think the 911 has truly become a big GT car these days.  Not counting the GT models, which sounds backwards, but hey...

I'll stick with my naturally aspirated and manual transmission Cayman thank you very much.  ;-)  Considering how much money I just sunk into it, I plan on keeping it for a very long time.

No electron left behind.

I'll also stick with my naturally aspirated and manual transmission 1973 (mostly) 911 thank you very much.  ;-]  Considering how much money, sweat, and blood I have sunk into it over the years, I plan on keeping it for a long time - maybe longer than I am able to drive it.

I know a guy who said he was going to be buried in his '72S but he wound up selling it to a young guy from Turkey.

6 hours ago, rando said:

Not sure if this was a coy response based on his Maser interest or lack of insight.  As the GT-R has gotten more popular, and exponentially more expensive. it has never been actually updated.  In fact they use cheaper materials and manufacture it to a lower quality now.  Beyond all this, finding a driven example that wasn't beaten or requires a drastic engine overhaul to remove carbon deposit at realistic prices?  IMO there is better and better for the money lacking the outdated reputation to deal with.  

Speaking of this last point.  Guess what car maker, and especially model, is famous for dying a slow death when only used for trips to the supermarket or going a steady 65 the few miles into the office.  Audi and the Audi R8.  

Right with you on the GT-R. Not to mention it's just plain unsightly. 

First time I've heard that comment about Audi's, and the R8.

JC

1 hour ago, speavler said:

Love my M3 and would really only consider a Porsche Turbo S to replace it, but the Mercedes AMG GT that parks next to me gets more attention.  The guy daily's it and seems to make a 'statement'.  Not AWD though.

And those AMG GT's still go for a LOT of money used. Even three or four years old, they still bring $95-100kor more! 

JC

a quote on various makes...

The “Porsche image” is “serious.  The driver will take himself and his car … damned seriously….  [He] will have no more than a limited sense of humor.  Especially concerning Porsches.  … slightly insecure … likely to be possession-proud.  A car for the technician, rather than the engineer, if you get the distinction.”  -- Road & Track, June 1969, p. 58, from a comparison test of the Porsche 911T, Corvette, Jaguar E-type and Mercedes 280SL “Four Luxury GTs.” 

The other makes’ owners were characterized as follows:

Jaguar E-type: Class, Dignity, owner is sophisticated in his tastes, one that swings, but with dignity, probably doesn’t know much about engineering

Corvette: Plastic, flashy, lots of eye-catching angles and gimmicks; personality of owner is “the Animal”

Mercedes 280SL: Square, even dull