IGNORED

Not Audio Related But I'm Desperate - Is There Such A Thing As A Good Automobile Forum Online?

2 hours ago, rando said:

I was wary his reply was going to be along the lines of "Forget Italian, I want British!"  x-D

All isn't dire.  Lots of people have done needed transplants to correct major errors and expect to take a bath on it when they need room for their next project.  

New tack.  Next generation Asian luxury GT cars hitting our shores starting now.  They are having a hard time with branding halfway across the world where nobody can say their company name.  Lots of potential here; competitive pricing to undercut European and domestic competition, clever designs, designed and made in the place giving total control to people who actually understand the electronics so necessary to a modern car.

Good thought, but I haven't really seen anything yet from Asia in terms of a luxury GT car that impresses me, excepting the Lexus LC500, and I simply cannot afford anything  remotely like $100k.

8 hours ago, accwai said:

Hmm... depending on what you're after, a Subaru WRX STi can actually be the plan 2 car. Or Ford Focus RS perhaps.

The concern for something like Audi R8 as plan 2 would likely be ground clearance. For areas with significant snowfall, scraping the bottom while getting around after a big snow storm is a real possibility. Having a family sedan as backup car would be a really good idea. And 4WD on the backup car isn't absolutely necessary. Just a set of snow tires would do quite nicely. Besides, having a backup car frees you up to peruse more hardcore sporty options. So that's a good route too.

The R8 would certainly struggle in the depths of snow that my area gets fairly regularly in the winter. I also live in an area that is very hilly,. My ride home consists of a series of varying hills, including a very steep and significant one that I live on top of, with an even steeper driveway leading up to my garage. See my other response about Plan 1, which would allow me to retain a vehicle like you are describing. 

JC

4 hours ago, Blake said:

The general auto websites are almost useless.  Mostly complaints from the general public about the size of cup holders.

Reading through your requirements, it seems a used Audi RS5 ticks all of your boxes:

1. Build quality as good as it gets (this model was built in a separate factory by Audi's best techs).

2. Outstanding interior/ergonomics- seating position is sporty, but definitely not as aggressive as Porsche 911, which you mention as being an issue. 

3. High rev'ing V8 that is bullet-proof and well-known as it has been used for years and is the same engine (with just a few minor modifications) used in the R8.

4. Fits within your budget.

5. Low maintenance costs compared to the competition.

6. All wheel drive.

7. Coupe.

I actually do think it is about as close as it gets to a no compromise daily driver- it is a blast to drive in good and very bad conditions.  The V8 just puts a smile on your face.  Gas mileage is the only downside I can think of.

You mention needing all wheel drive.  I live in Salt Lake City and I am an avid skier so I spend a lot of time on steep, snowy roads.  I can tell you from personal experience, put some Blizzak snow tires on the RS5 and it is a beast on snowy steep terrain.  I have been in so many sketchy conditions with other cars off the road in the ditch and the RS5 just happily plows ahead.

For Audi, this forum is great:  audizine.com

Also, another resource that you may not have considered is YouTube.  There are many, many auto reviews on YouTube, both professional and amateur.

Good luck in your decision.

Very well thought out option Blake, thanks. Honestly, in the back of my mind, I was considering the all new 2018 Audi RS5 as a fallback option for Plan 2. However, I optioned one out, and it came to $89,500.00 which would make it certain I would have to wait another 24 months or so until 2 year leases appear for sale. It does indeed tick every box, but one. Excepting with truly knowledgeable car people, it does not make a statement visually. And I would really like the last truly nice car I ever own to make a statement. Like the Maserati did, excepting its internal issues.

Recent mini review of the new Audi RS5 (and isn't that green color striking?

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2018-audi-rs-5-coupe-u-s-spec-review-first-drive/

4 hours ago, crenca said:

Edit:  The perfect car in this class would be a joint venture with a bit of Italian pizazz (for the curves), a Teutonic drivetrain, designed/manufactured by Honda or Toyota so that it was reliable, and like the Corvette owned by Government Motors so you could take it to your local Chevy dealer to get parts and work done for a reasonable price.  B|

Truer words have never been said! 

54 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

would the M series variants of BMW's small SUV work for you?  or a Pooschey Macan?

I'm just not an SUV guy, though those are excellent choices. And, again, I want this to make a statement, and the SUV has not yet been born that does that. 

Guys, thanks for all of your thoughts so far, Rando especially. All of you have provided very worthwhile information and things to consider. This continues to be an extremely helpful discussion. Thank you again and any further recommendations, strategies or options would be immensely appreciated. It's truly important that I get this one right.

JC

I do not know of an appropriate forum.

As for suggestions, well I can come up with plenty:D

Jag F-Type: Plan 1 is the HO 6 cylinder to get the exhaust note.  Plan 2 is the V8.  Convertible all the way.  The Coupe just does not look right.

Porsche Mission e: Plan 2 but this is the most beautiful of Porsches...how the Panamera should have looked (which is an abomination in my mind)

Mercedes E Coupe (or whatever it is called)...I like the E Class over the S Class as far as visual appearance

Mustang GT350...saw one parked next to me...Beautiful, muscular, etc..

I do not think much of BMW.  Last one I liked was the hi-revving M5 from 10 years ago or so...The Audi RS5 mentioned earlier is a nice choice.  The new Volvo Polestar offering(s) might be worth checking out. 

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

12 minutes ago, coot said:

Sadly, Volvo does not make a coupe.

Reason I mentioned Polestar: https://newatlas.com/polestar-1-hybrid-gt/51793/   although I guess that is not a Volvo anymore...

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Yeah, I knew I had seen that car somewhere; Autoweek I think. It stirred me - stunning design.

From the last of the article:

"Polestar 1 order books are open now, for those that want to reserve a Polestar future right away."

I went for a new Porsche 718 Boxster as a daily driver, and it's bl**dy marvellous, draws admiring looks everywhere and has the usual Porsche build quality. Every drive leaves me with a smile, and a spirited drive for fun--well, x-D.

Downsides for you--2 wheel drive and wouldn't be good in deep snow (we don't have any snow in winter here, maybe an overnight frost once or twice :)), and maybe interior room, although a 6'5" driver said it was fine for him.

A friend just bought a Suzuki Vitara and it does come in a 4wd, and is very reasonably priced. 

I'd suggest that two cars would be a better solution.

Question, which kind of seats did that 4S have?

Porsche has a few different types and it can make a difference.  There are the base seats, which are exactly that and IMO have no business in a Porsche.  There are the 4 way seats, the 14 way seats the Sport Seats, and finally the 18 way Sport Adaptive Seats.  Those 18 way Sport Adaptives are the ones you want.  Everything about them is configurable.  If I were you I would stick with a Either a 4S, or the Carrera 4 GTS.  Put snow tires on that and there isn't many places it wont go.  If you have any Porsche questions feel free to ask me, or Rennlist is a fantastic resource, you probably wont even have to ask, just search and you'll find more answers than you know what to do with.

No electron left behind.

9 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Question, which kind of seats did that 4S have?

Porsche has a few different types and it can make a difference.  There are the base seats, which are exactly that and IMO have no business in a Porsche.  There are the 4 way seats, the 14 way seats the Sport Seats, and finally the 18 way Sport Adaptive Seats.  Those 18 way Sport Adaptives are the ones you want.  Everything about them is configurable.  If I were you I would stick with a Either a 4S, or the Carrera 4 GTS.  Put snow tires on that and there isn't many places it wont go.  If you have any Porsche questions feel free to ask me, or Rennlist is a fantastic resource, you probably wont even have to ask, just search and you'll find more answers than you know what to do with.

Doc, of the three Porsches that I recently drove two had, I believe, the 14 way seats, one the standard sport seats, but none had the Sport Adaptive Seats. While I will certainly make a note for the future to look for the seats you recommend, based on ads I've looked at, they may be hard to find. Also, the real comfort issue was'nt the seats, it was the space around the seat. I am a wide guy (52 inch chest) with big shoulders and very muscular legs and was literally up against the side door on the drivers left side, and somewhat tight against the console with my right thigh. Oddly, I have no such issue in my relatively small BMW m235iX, nor did I with my M3. I also fit comfortably into the R8 I test drove, and VERY comfortably into the Maserati.

JC

I am sorry to hear, that.  The Porsche could be the last car you buy, but nothing is changing the dimensions of the car.

I would stay away from the Maser.  I know they are cheap, because they lose their value so fast, they are also crazy expensive to maintain, and maintain it you will.  They are incredibly unreliable.

I was going to buy one once, and I brought my concerns up to the sales lady.  They let me drive it for a weekend and in that weekend I had 3 glitches.  It was a used car, but come on, that's unacceptable.  Every Porsche I have ever owned has been the most reliable car I have ever owned as well.

That R8 may just fit your bill, It's a cool car.

No electron left behind.

36 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I am sorry to hear, that.  The Porsche could be the last car you buy, but nothing is changing the dimensions of the car.

I would stay away from the Maser.  I know they are cheap, because they lose their value so fast, they are also crazy expensive to maintain, and maintain it you will.  They are incredibly unreliable.

I was going to buy one once, and I brought my concerns up to the sales lady.  They let me drive it for a weekend and in that weekend I had 3 glitches.  It was a used car, but come on, that's unacceptable.  Every Porsche I have ever owned has been the most reliable car I have ever owned as well.

That R8 may just fit your bill, It's a cool car.

Doc, its been quite a while since I drove the Porsche's, and I believe I was in a very bulky, heavy winter coat at the time. I'll give them another shot for size just to be sure. 

JC

Test drive a Nissan GT-R.  Minus is road noise and not the most comfortable seats.  Should be big enough for ya.  Plus there's not a lot of them around compared to the others mentioned. 

I think the BMW 6 series coupe from about 5 years ago looked great in black and I think you can get that with x-drive.  

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

15 hours ago, TubeLover said:

[...] Excepting with truly knowledgeable car people, it does not make a statement visually. And I would really like the last truly nice car I ever own to make a statement. [...]

My father always says to keep a low profile and try to be inconspicuous. The other day, I was walking across the street and met a Scion FR-S TRD Edition at the traffic light. This one has quad pipe exhaust and was rumbling noticeably. I'm a hardcore 86 person, but it's doubtful this sound would be making good first impression on non-car people.

And making statements might have unexpected effect. You might find small or fat objects closing in fast and then sit on your tail tight. One would have thought people would think twice before doing that to something flat and could rumble when disturbed. But who knows... x-D

2 hours ago, ShawnC said:

Test drive a Nissan GT-R.  Minus is road noise and not the most comfortable seats.  Should be big enough for ya.  Plus there's not a lot of them around compared to the others mentioned. [...]

Actually, around here they are surprisingly common. Just look around in the parking lot of Pacific Mall (world famous center for pirated videos and counterfeit goods :)) and it will hard to not come up with at least one example. In warm weather at least. They do vanish quickly when the winter season kicks in.

4 hours ago, ShawnC said:

Test drive a Nissan GT-R.  Minus is road noise and not the most comfortable seats.  Should be big enough for ya.  Plus there's not a lot of them around compared to the others mentioned. 

I think the BMW 6 series coupe from about 5 years ago looked great in black and I think you can get that with x-drive.  

Not sure if this was a coy response based on his Maser interest or lack of insight.  As the GT-R has gotten more popular, and exponentially more expensive. it has never been actually updated.  In fact they use cheaper materials and manufacture it to a lower quality now.  Beyond all this, finding a driven example that wasn't beaten or requires a drastic engine overhaul to remove carbon deposit at realistic prices?  IMO there is better and better for the money lacking the outdated reputation to deal with.  

Speaking of this last point.  Guess what car maker, and especially model, is famous for dying a slow death when only used for trips to the supermarket or going a steady 65 the few miles into the office.  Audi and the Audi R8.  

8 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Doc, of the three Porsches that I recently drove two had, I believe, the 14 way seats, one the standard sport seats, but none had the Sport Adaptive Seats. While I will certainly make a note for the future to look for the seats you recommend, based on ads I've looked at, they may be hard to find. Also, the real comfort issue was'nt the seats, it was the space around the seat. I am a wide guy (52 inch chest) with big shoulders and very muscular legs and was literally up against the side door on the drivers left side, and somewhat tight against the console with my right thigh. <snip>

The 18 ways will be harder to find, but, despite the number of large Germans, the Porsche Boxster/Cayman is fairly narrow around the seats. I didn't want a 911 so I can't comment about them. Macans are selling like hotcakes and apparently drive very well, but as you say, they don't make much of a statement.

I second the cautions about Maserati. I friend had one and when a $10 engine part broke the car sat for 9 months waiting for Italy to mail the bit.

Good luck.