IGNORED

Yggdrasil Gen 5 24 Bit problem

I'm having a problem with my Yggdrasil, and I'm wondering if anyone can help solve it.

The problem is this:  With the Gen 5 USB up-grade, the unit will play properly all 16 bit files, but will not play properly any 24 bit files.  Both file types played without problem with the Gen 3 USB, and there were no changes in my system aside from the USB change.

Two files are attached, one 16 bit the other 24 bit, to illustrate the problem.

The DAC is being fed by an Odroid C2 running Ubuntu Linux.  The player is Roon, and the Odroid is a RoonBridge.

The complication is that there is no problem with 24 bit files when I play them from the MacMini that houses the RoonCore.  The unit is just back from Schiit, who could not replicate the problem on their set-up.  They did replace the Gen 5 board, but it has made no difference - it is still the case that in my system no 24 bit file plays properly.

I have tried putting an iFi iUSB3.0 between the Odroid and the Yggdrasil to no avail - the problem remained.

I would be very appreciative for any ideas on how to fix this problem.

16 Bit.m4a

24 Bit.m4a

8 minutes ago, Frege said:

I'm having a problem with my Yggdrasil, and I'm wondering if anyone can help solve it.

The problem is this:  With the Gen 5 USB up-grade, the unit will play properly all 16 bit files, but will not play properly any 24 bit files.  Both file types played without problem with the Gen 3 USB, and there were no changes in my system aside from the USB change.

Two files are attached, one 16 bit the other 24 bit, to illustrate the problem.

The DAC is being fed by an Odroid C2 running Ubuntu Linux.  The player is Roon, and the Odroid is a RoonBridge.

The complication is that there is no problem with 24 bit files when I play them from the MacMini that houses the RoonCore.  The unit is just back from Schiit, who could not replicate the problem on their set-up.  They did replace the Gen 5 board, but it has made no difference - it is still the case that in my system no 24 bit file plays properly.

I have tried putting an iFi iUSB3.0 between the Odroid and the Yggdrasil to no avail - the problem remained.

I would be very appreciative for any ideas on how to fix this problem.

16 Bit.m4a

24 Bit.m4a

I had a similar issue with my Schiit Eitr, it would only play 16/48000 through the microRendu. When hooked up to my CAPS server, it would play up to and including 24/192000. I stayed after them about the issue, they sent me a replacement Eitr and it works fine with the microRendu and sMS-200. Hope this helps.

8 minutes ago, Frege said:

Yes, plays 24 bit files fine when plugged into the MacMini

The USB Gen 5 has a different CMedia USB chipset, something in the Odroid board or Ubuntu doesn't like it.  

Sounds like there is nothing wrong with the Yggdrasil.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

2 minutes ago, pas said:

Maybe that board is not functioning properly as was the case with my Eitr.

He indicated in his original post that he sent it back and they put a new USB Gen 5 in.  Same problem.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

3 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

The USB Gen 5 has a different CMedia USB chipset, something in the Odroid board or Ubuntu doesn't like it.  

Sounds like there is nothing wrong with the Yggdrasil.

In a sense, I agree that there is nothing wrong with the Yggdrasil.  But the fact remains that a change was made - as you note a different chipset - which is not compatible with all USB interfaces, as apparently was the Gen 3. 

What I am trying to find out is what the difference between the Gen 3 and Gen 5 is that is giving rise to the incompatibility to see if it can be fixed.  Note that it is a change that affects all 24 bit files.

1 minute ago, pas said:

I clearly understood his post. Is his DAC functioning properly?

Yes, he indicated above that he plugged it into his macmini and it played 24bit files fine.

1 minute ago, Frege said:

What I am trying to find out is what the difference between the Gen 3 and Gen 5 is that is giving rise to the incompatibility to see if it can be fixed.  Note that it is a change that affects all 24 bit files.

Can you put a different distro on the Odroid?

22 minutes ago, Ran said:

I had the same issue with Raspberry Pi. The stock Kernel (and ALSA) didn't work well with The Yggy. Only after updating the OS things started to work.

Could you elaborate a little more on the OS update you did.  Are you running Linux?

3 hours ago, Frege said:

If you mean the one in this thread, yes.  Do you have another thread about the Eitr?

1. The Gen 5 USB input is exactly the same on EITR and on the upgrade card for the Shiit DACs. So, in principle, there should be no SQ differences any more on my GMB between USB & S/PDIF that I had previously experienced. I will consider that route but am loath to ship the GMB at more cost if I can get the same result from an EITR, extra cabling notwithstanding.

The above quote is from the Schiit EITR thread started by Charente. It contains some useful information. Hopefully, it will help resolve the issues you are experiencing. Good luck!

13 hours ago, Frege said:

Could you elaborate a little more on the OS update you did.  Are you running Linux?

Kernel and ALSA... Yeah.. Linux. Run the following:

1. "sudo apt update" - wait for the process to complete

2. "sudo apt upgrade" - wait for the process to complete

3. Reboot

15 minutes ago, Ran said:

Kernel and ALSA... Yeah.. Linux. Run the following:

1. "sudo apt update" - wait for the process to complete

2. "sudo apt upgrade" - wait for the process to complete

3. Reboot

Thanks.  Which version of Linux are you running.  I'm using Ubuntu from Armbian.