IGNORED

Jack White : Boarding House Reach

I have always liked Jack White's music since the White Stripes and admired that the albums had good dynamic range. Now his new album Boarding House Reach has a DR of 7. I know the style of the music is more electronic but it just seems that it is another artist succumbing to the loudness war. I am now on the verge of giving up on Hi-Res downloads. 

1 hour ago, tonyking said:

I have always liked Jack White's music since the White Stripes and admired that the albums had good dynamic range. Now his new album Boarding House Reach has a DR of 7. I know the style of the music is more electronic but it just seems that it is another artist succumbing to the loudness war. I am now on the verge of giving up on Hi-Res downloads. 

As hard as it may be to believe, most recording artists apparently have no say in such things as how much compression is added to their albums. A producer, mastering engineer, or recording company person often makes that decision - even for famous and well known artists.  I have zero knowledge about this particular disc.

That said, it may well be a good reason not to buy hi-res downloads of most popular music. In classical it isn't an issue and is a much smaller one in Jazz (which is sometimes volume compressed but usually not down to DR7).  But, yes, that VC blurs the distinctions of the very things we often buy hi-res for. There are occasional albums where the mp3/CD is more heavily compressed than the hi-res, so always worth it to check if you can. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 1 month later...

Jack White is not just an artist but also the producer and owner of his record label.  So he has all the control over the final product.  Jack does provide his later releases in hi-rez but as everyone knows, he cares more about how it sounds on vinyl than anything (after all, he just built a vinyl pressing plant).

1 hour ago, Cazzesman said:

The DR 7 is the least of his problems.   As I long term fan I declare it a complete and utter pile of do-do!

Regards Cazzesman

well i completely disagree.it is a Bitching Brew of mind smashing funk n roll.

perfectly completes a trilogy began by Blunder Fuss and Lazy Retto.