IGNORED

SGC - sonicTransporter Series and Signalyst HQPlayer 4 Embedded

3 minutes ago, seaharp1 said:

Hey BlueDL,

I've had 4 or 5 computer teamviews with Andrew (sometimes on the phone at the same time)...he has never shown any impatience with me...

Very understanding and patient support.

He hasn’t been impatient with me so far either. I just feel sorry for some of the questions I pose when I later realise the answers were staring me in the face!  He’s needed to be very patient. Great aftersales/ product support.

5 hours ago, BlueDL said:

Embarrassingly, the ‘About’ page is showing ‘Trial’. Thanks.

Hehe all good, good thing we checked.

Can you imagine the hours you would have spent over emails and posts trying to solve a networking issue

I’ve been there and done that too ?

I've patiently read through 21 pages of this thread and I must confess, for a beginner like me its all very daunting. 

Specifically, can someone help with the following questions:

(1) Is there an idiot's guide to installing and running embedded HQe on a Sonic Transporter? My audio chain at the moment is Roon running on a SonicTrransporter I5 to an UltraRendu to a Directstream DAC. Music on a NAS.

(2) Has the HQe software developed to a point that all that is required to switch between Roon Server and HQe is running the App Switcher and setting the UltraRendu to either Roon or NAA?

(3) Does HQe come with sensible defaults for filters etc? I don't want to be messing around with filters to begin with. Is there an explanation somewhere on filters?

(4) There seem to be three people who can support this software. I know of Jesus and Andrew of SGC. Who is Jussi? Is he @Miksa? Who do I purchase the software from? My SonicTransporter did not come with HQe installed.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, alcarp said:

(1) Is there an idiot's guide to installing and running embedded HQe on a Sonic Transporter? My audio chain at the moment is Roon running on a SonicTrransporter I5 to an UltraRendu to a Directstream DAC. Music on a NAS.

Check out the 1st post of this thread. Jesus has a link to a guide... Once you've installed it on your sonicTi5 (via available apps) then the HQPe settings are all one one page (configuration page).

1 hour ago, alcarp said:

(2) Has the HQe software developed to a point that all that is required to switch between Roon Server and HQe is running the App Switcher and setting the UltraRendu to either Roon or NAA?

Yup it's worked like that since the beginning actually.

1 hour ago, alcarp said:

(3) Does HQe come with sensible defaults for filters etc? I don't want to be messing around with filters to begin with. Is there an explanation somewhere on filters?

Start with poly-sinc-short-mp-2s. Play with others over time. Make sure you tick 'DoP' in HQPe configuration, for use with your DirectStream.

1 hour ago, alcarp said:

(4) There seem to be three people who can support this software. I know of Jesus and Andrew of SGC. Who is Jussi? Is he @Miksa? Who do I purchase the software from? My SonicTransporter did not come with HQe installed.

I'll leave support questions to @vortecjr and @agillis. Jussi is indeed @Miska here.

.......then select HQPlayer on the ST under ‘Settings’, ‘Audio’ or use ‘Switch Zone’ at the bottom of the screen.

By the way, I didn’t get a discounted rate but bought HQPe anyway. I guess it’s  a different product to the desktop/windows version so it’d be a stretch to expect any recompense just because I’m a past customer.

I just hope the ST hardware keeps up with future developments for a little while now! ?

So i finally placed an order for a HW locked HQPlayer to my i5. 

I haven’t tested HQPlayer since first release was limited to 30 min and in real life much shorter and to much hassle to restart as a trail. 

My HQPlayer license for Windows hasn’t convinced me yet. I hope this may change with the embedded version. 

I will do HAF as well. And will compare same filters used in Roon vs HQPlayer. 

It will will take long time to come to a conclusion.

Now I only need Roon extensions implement as well, in the SonicTransporter OS, and I can remove my HTPC from the stereo rack. 

25 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

So i finally placed an order for a HW locked HQPlayer to my i5. 

I haven’t tested HQPlayer since first release was limited to 30 min and in real life much shorter and to much hassle to restart as a trail. 

My HQPlayer license for Windows hasn’t convinced me yet. I hope this may change with the embedded version. 

I will do HAF as well. And will compare same filters used in Roon vs HQPlayer. 

It will will take long time to come to a conclusion.

Now I only need Roon extensions implement as well, in the SonicTransporter OS, and I can remove my HTPC from the stereo rack. 

Please let us know what you eventually conclude.

I found HQPlayer a bit of a faff (British word!) in Windows 10 on my Mac Mini, and I also craved a slick remote app rather than getting by using Splashtop. I note that there’s now an app for Android available on google play called HQPDcontrol, but I’m too invested in my Sonictransporter and Roon these days to investigate it. Buying the HQPe licence has sealed the commitment! I left a large playlist playing as I left for work and my history in Roon suggests it played all the way through without any HQPe issues, so far so good then. I might dare to try a ‘non -2s’ filter this evening - such courage!!

Hi Jussi, when the new version anounced today on Facebook will be available fos ST users. Tks.

Bye the way, earlier this week I started feeding my uR with the LPS that was feeding the 2 FMCs. The Sbooster that was previously feeding their is feeding now just one FMC and the other one is now needed by my HDPlex. The white noise from my Qutest stopped and finally I am able to benefit from  HQPLAYER. Any clues? 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

1 hour ago, soares said:

Hi Jussi, when the new version anounced today on Facebook will be available fos ST users. Tks.

Bye the way, earlier this week I started feeding my uR with the LPS that was feeding the 2 FMCs. The Sbooster that was previously feeding their is feeding now just one FMC and the other one is now needed by my HDPlex. The white noise from my Qutest stopped and finally I am able to benefit from  HQPLAYER. Any clues? 

I was wrong... as soon I installed the most recent version available (4.2.1) the white noise started randomly. I told myself that it should be related to filters I had chosen earlier. Wrong again. Finally I checked the auto rate family option. It worked without any white noise. I hope I am not wrong again. I will report in a couple of days. My apologies...

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

4 minutes ago, soares said:

I was wrong... as soon I installed the most recent version available (4.2.1) the white noise started randomly. I told myself that it should be related to filters I had chosen earlier. Wrong again. Finally I checked the auto rate family option. It worked without any white noise. I hope I am not wrong again. I will report in a couple of days. My apologies...

Hi soares - which about with the FMC's out of the chain? Same issue?

Will try tomorrow but for now it seems that the issue was solved after having lost my hope that would ever benefit from HQPLAYER and my Qutest. I recall that the Oppo205 Dac and the ifinano BL were not affected by this problem using the same setup. Cheers.

16 hours ago, BlueDL said:

.......then select HQPlayer on the ST under ‘Settings’, ‘Audio’ or use ‘Switch Zone’ at the bottom of the screen.

In Roon under Settings ....Setup

I see Add HqPlayer

is this what I should use? How do I tell Roon to use HQe for audio output and not Roon?

1 hour ago, alcarp said:

I see Add HqPlayer

is this what I should use? How do I tell Roon to use HQe for audio output and not Roon?

1 hour ago, alcarp said:

I see Add HqPlayer

Yes, sorry - I’d assumed that step had been done.The host name needs to be localhost.

1 hour ago, alcarp said:

I see Add HqPlayer

Yes

in Roon, go settings. And then Setup. Then add HQPlayer. Then go Audio

1E9ADFD0-D575-4BBD-B471-667EEDCE5CF3.jpeg

AB726426-8125-4957-9C09-C3ADD502A188.jpeg

.......then you need to select HQPlayer as the networked zone in ‘Audio’.

Once you’ve done this once, and the MicroRendu is set as an HQPlayer NAA it is settings on MySonicorbiter, you should be good to go.

From MySonicorbiter (Sonictransporter settings), you can then set up the HQPlayer config to suit your DAC’s sample rate capabilities, select filters, select PCM or SDM (DSD), etc.

8 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Yes. And it’s hard to find ?

Actually the only way I know about is to install the windows version in order to get it. 

hqplayer-manual-3-20.pdf

Jussi kindly emailed me the following rough guide when I asked the same question a while back:

The -2s suffix filter variants are lightest, but beyond that, (including the corresponding 2s variants within their own group) the order is roughly from lightest to heaviest:
1) minringFIR / poly-sinc-mqa
2) poly-sinc-short
3) poly-sinc / poly-sinc-ext
4) closed-form-fast
5) closed-form
6) poly-sinc-xtr