IGNORED

Sparky Dietpi Roon-Ready I2S Streamer

I have been experimenting with setting up a Sparky Roon Ready I2S Streamer running Dietpi. The chain is a Sparky connected to Ian Canadas McFifo and McDualXO boards then outputting I2S to an Audio gd I2S LVDS HDMI module. This is connected to the I2S input on my PS Audio DS Junior DAC but after some time trying I have not able to get music to play. Everything is powered okay and Sudeep verified that the I2S cable connections were correct. I suspect the problem is with wrong settings in the Dietpi setup and this is not recognising the chain.

With Sudeep's help I added: 

snd-soc-pcm5102a 
snd-soc-allo-hifi-dac 

to the etc/modules successfully and the HifiDac option shows up in Roon but I'm not able to get music to play. I did test out the toslink option straight out of the Sparky and that worked okay but of course that is not the sound quality I'm looking for. I also tried Volumio but that didn't work either and came up with an ALSA error.

I'm hoping someone can help.

Thanks!

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

This is the aplay -L output if it helps:

dietpi@DietPi:~$ sudo aplay -L
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
sysdefault:CARD=atm7059link
    atm7059_link, 
    Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=atm7059link,DEV=0
    atm7059_link, 
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=atm7059link,DEV=1
    atm7059_link, 
dmix:CARD=atm7059link,DEV=2
    atm7059_link, 
dsnoop:CARD=atm7059link,DEV=0
    atm7059_link, 
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=atm7059link,DEV=1
    atm7059_link, 
dsnoop:CARD=atm7059link,DEV=2
    atm7059_link, 
hw:CARD=atm7059link,DEV=0
    atm7059_link, 
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=atm7059link,DEV=1
    atm7059_link, 
hw:CARD=atm7059link,DEV=2
    atm7059_link, 
plughw:CARD=atm7059link,DEV=0
    atm7059_link, 
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=atm7059link,DEV=1
    atm7059_link, 
plughw:CARD=atm7059link,DEV=2
    atm7059_link, 
sysdefault:CARD=HifiDAC
    HifiDAC, 
    Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=HifiDAC,DEV=0
    HifiDAC, 
dsnoop:CARD=HifiDAC,DEV=0
    HifiDAC, 
hw:CARD=HifiDAC,DEV=0
    HifiDAC, 
plughw:CARD=HifiDAC,DEV=0
    HifiDAC, 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

Got my Sparky chain working! After much trial and error I've got a basic set up with music playing. What a relief after weeks of many attempts. :) Sounds very good so far, and surprisingly clean but its early days yet and needs a few days burn in before commenting fully...

Chain is Sparky (with music from an attached USB drive or over the network) > Ian Canadas McFifo > McDualXO boards > Audio gd HDMI module > using the I2s input on my PS Audio Junior DAC. I'm currently running Volumio. Now I can start experimenting to get Roon ready and possibly Dietpi running. Apart from sorting out connections I kept trying various driver selections in Dietpi, Ropieee, Picoreplayer and then in Volumio instead of  the I2S DAC options I tried HDMI output (see pic) and that worked, so I realised I've been following the wrong assumption about outputs. More soon when I have a chance to experiment. Just enjoying the payoff with the sound opening up :)

5abaccc159a08_Sparkyworking1.thumb.jpg.834c5fb9edc3bc95aafd1f7b5749f179.jpg5abace41af920_ScreenShot2018-03-27at23_42_42.thumb.png.32c6fdbe5f853653cf38525f742ef735.png

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, shadowlight said:

@tapatrick have you tested DSD with your setup?  If yes, any pop's during startup?  Based on the information and the pictures there is no USB connection in the chain, correct?  I am looking to do something similar, initially with Kali and RPi so doing as much research as I can so I can get all the parts ready.

Hi @shadowlight yes, I only have a couple of DSD test files and they work without any glitches. My hardware has a limit of DSD64 but Ian’s boards can handle up to DSD512 and multichannel automatically detected. 

Correct, I dont use USB as I didn’t want an extra conversion, just straight I2S from Sparky into my PS Audio Junior DAC. 

4 hours ago, tapatrick said:

Correct, I dont use USB as I didn’t want an extra conversion, just straight I2S from Sparky into my PS Audio Junior DAC. 

The number of conversions from Ethernet to i2s and USB to i2s are exactly the same. 1 conversion each. If you compare the jitter from the Arm processor’s i2s signal (especially the way you are doing it without sending it a proper master clock based on the audio rate) and the jitter form a well implemented XMOS processor’s i2s signal the XMOS processor’s i2s ouput will be lower jitter every time. So why start out with a higher jitter source. Also, buffering the signal and reclocking is exactly what is taking place in your PS Audio Junior DAC so doing it twice hardly seems like avoiding extra steps. Finally, the PS Audio Junior DAC will ignore your master clocks and ultimately use its own internal master clock and that is likely the clock you want to upgrade;) 

6 hours ago, tapatrick said:

Hi @shadowlight yes, I only have a couple of DSD test files and they work without any glitches. My hardware has a limit of DSD64 but Ian’s boards can handle up to DSD512 and multichannel automatically detected. 

Thank you.  That gives me a good starting point.

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

The number of conversions from Ethernet to i2s and USB to i2s are exactly the same. 1 conversion each.

For USB isn't the conversion done 2 times: Ethernet --> USB --> i2s?  This is assuming that your DAC is connected to something along the lines of Signalyst NAA (which is the case for me?)

20 hours ago, vortecjr said:

The number of conversions from Ethernet to i2s and USB to i2s are exactly the same. 1 conversion each. If you compare the jitter from the Arm processor’s i2s signal (especially the way you are doing it without sending it a proper master clock based on the audio rate) and the jitter form a well implemented XMOS processor’s i2s signal the XMOS processor’s i2s ouput will be lower jitter every time. So why start out with a higher jitter source. Also, buffering the signal and reclocking is exactly what is taking place in your PS Audio Junior DAC so doing it twice hardly seems like avoiding extra steps.

I was referring to the extra conversion to USB then back to I2S that some people are making but I take your point.

I understand the PS audio DAC ignores the clock input which I discussed and thought about before launching into this project and also read that PS Audio DS DACs are supposedly indifferent to inputs, however this particular chain for whatever reason, and including the limitations you have pointed out, sounds fabulous, my best input device yet and much better than straight USB in. Having spend  several researching then getting it to work is added satisfaction. If you are saying a master clock into the Sparky would improve jitter then I am curious about how this can be bettered. Do you have any suggestions?

"Finally, the PS Audio Junior DAC will ignore your master clocks and ultimately use its own internal master clock and that is likely the clock you want to upgrade;) "
I did ask Ted Smith about this and he said he has used and implemented the best ultra low noise clock he could find at the time in the Junior DAC.

Also on another curve, I just received a cheap SD card player from China with I2S out which I heard about on TirNaHifi and am surprised and a bit shocked to hear how good this is sounding into my Junior DAC without any tweaks yet...

22 hours ago, shadowlight said:

For USB isn't the conversion done 2 times: Ethernet --> USB --> i2s?  This is assuming that your DAC is connected to something along the lines of Signalyst NAA (which is the case for me?)

That is just data transferring from one place to another.

3 hours ago, tapatrick said:

I was referring to the extra conversion to USB then back to I2S that some people are making but I take your point.

I understand the PS audio DAC ignores the clock input which I discussed and thought about before launching into this project and also read that PS Audio DS DACs are supposedly indifferent to inputs, however this particular chain for whatever reason, and including the limitations you have pointed out, sounds fabulous, my best input device yet and much better than straight USB in. Having spend  several researching then getting it to work is added satisfaction. If you are saying a master clock into the Sparky would improve jitter then I am curious about how this can be bettered. Do you have any suggestions?

"Finally, the PS Audio Junior DAC will ignore your master clocks and ultimately use its own internal master clock and that is likely the clock you want to upgrade;) "
I did ask Ted Smith about this and he said he has used and implemented the best ultra low noise clock he could find at the time in the Junior DAC.

Also on another curve, I just received a cheap SD card player from China with I2S out which I heard about on TirNaHifi and am surprised and a bit shocked to hear how good this is sounding into my Junior DAC without any tweaks yet...

There is no conversion to USB and then back to i2s. It’s either i2s at the output of the CPU (aweful) or at the XMOS processor (much better). It’s one or the other, but it’s i2s just the same. They say the inputs are immune, but many say different. They also admit that different cables sound different. Ask Ted which oscillator he uses for the DAC and the USB input. I would be willing to lend you something to try depending on where you are located?

On 6/20/2018 at 1:16 PM, vortecjr said:

I would be willing to lend you something to try depending on where you are located?

Hi @vortecjr, I'm in London (UK). What did you have in mind?

Thanks a lot. 

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I'm overseas. Maybe Martin from https://www.vortexbox.co.uk can loan you a Sonore ultraDigital to try.  

Cheers I will check it out. This is a USB input device; so you are saying whether its a USB or ethernet input should make no difference?

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2018 at 2:12 AM, tapatrick said:

Chain is Sparky (with music from an attached USB drive or over the network) > Ian Canadas McFifo > McDualXO boards > Audio gd HDMI module > using the I2s input on my PS Audio Junior DAC. I'm currently running Volumio. :)

5abaccc159a08_Sparkyworking1.thumb.jpg.834c5fb9edc3bc95aafd1f7b5749f179.jpg

Have you tried low noise linear power supply? I assume that battery packs have quite cheap and noisy power inverter inside.

3 hours ago, stosoorok said:

Have you tried low noise linear power supply? I assume that battery packs have quite cheap and noisy power inverter inside.

Yes see my post from June 11 detailing the components. I use Paul Hynes SR4s and modded Teradak DC30 with lots of LT3045 voltage regs. All sounding superb. 

On 9/3/2018 at 8:54 PM, tapatrick said:

Yes see my post from June 11 detailing the components. I use Paul Hynes SR4s and modded Teradak DC30 with lots of LT3045 voltage regs. All sounding superb. 

I some how missed that, sorry. So you use two 'main' power supplies and for every device (except Sparky) additional LT3045 regulator board? I just ordered reclocker and i2s hdmi lvds and it got me thinking how will I power these boards.

9 hours ago, stosoorok said:

I some how missed that, sorry. So you use two 'main' power supplies and for every device (except Sparky) additional LT3045 regulator board? I just ordered reclocker and i2s hdmi lvds and it got me thinking how will I power these boards.

Thanks @stosoorok

To be exact: I I use a Paul Hynes SR4 with Y cable powering 5v straight into an Aqvox switch and the Sparky, then a modified Teradak DC30 with a Y cable powering the McFifo and the McDualXO both powered separately @ 8V into 2 sets of LT3045 boards 7.5V>5V, then the LVDS HDMI module powered by another SR4 @ 5v into an LT3045 3.3V which is followed by a short hard adapter into my PS Audio Junior.

I am also using the dual cat POE 3.1 DC power cables as discovered and explored by Tubelover2 over on his US Audio mart forum. This really makes an astounding difference too - much more than you would expect.

@stosoorok did you also see that Ian Canada is making a new 'FifoPi, the next generation all in one I2S/DSD/DoP FIFO for Raspberry Pi'

Its a combined isolator and reclocker which I'm sure will worth checking out.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/192465-asynchronous-i2s-fifo-project-ultimate-weapon-fight-jitter-468.html#post5527560

12 hours ago, stosoorok said:

....I just ordered reclocker and i2s hdmi lvds and it got me thinking how will I power these boards.

Ian Canada "highly recommended using 3.3V ultra capacitor power supply or 3.3V LifePO4 power supply directly as clean power to lower the jitter level even more..."

Thanks for the great info @tapatrick Ian tweeted few days after my order was shipped out. I ordered Allo Kali Reclocker and I2S HDMI LVDS from audiophonics. I hope this wasn't a mistake. Fellow member @scumbag seems to be happy with it.

I already have 3 Zero Zone R-core LPSU (5V/12V/24V) and each can be adjusted few volts. This Tubelover2 POE trick is really interesting, many pages to read now.