IGNORED

Server 2016 core mode - possible to bridge NICs?

I was able to do this with Server 2012 R2 and much prefer the sound over using a switch to connect my HQP PC and NAA.  With Server 2016 I know I can do this in GUI mode but what about Core mode?  Is this possible?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

• 2 weeks later...

You can do this , buy a multi port PCI lan card . The card has to have the feature in beaded in it. 

Lastly if I may suggest this , use the synology nas hack.  I use the s7 one.  I have 4 8 TB music drives , one cache drive and one more ssd drive fir Roon.   I have installed a 4 port PCI exp card . It is my router , network switch . This gives me its own network to keep it away from the rest of the house.  I then stream to a 2 PC for HQ player. 

I was using win 2016 and AO . The HQ PC has win 2016 and AO . I was doing what you are doing / trying to do now . Good luck 

5 hours ago, ALRAINBOW said:

You can do this , buy a multi port PCI lan card . The card has to have the feature in beaded in it. 

Lastly if I may suggest this , use the synology nas hack.  I use the s7 one.  I have 4 8 TB music drives , one cache drive and one more ssd drive fir Roon.   I have installed a 4 port PCI exp card . It is my router , network switch . This gives me its own network to keep it away from the rest of the house.  I then stream to a 2 PC for HQ player. 

I was using win 2016 and AO . The HQ PC has win 2016 and AO . I was doing what you are doing / trying to do now . Good luck 

Can you please explain further how you did this in Core mode?  I currently have a dual port fiber NIC card.  When I using Server 2012 I had to first go into GUI mode, bridge the two network works, then use AO to go into Minimal Server mode.  

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

On win 2016 there is no core mode only options to turn off. 

Yes beidge the connections with all drivers and devices running. 

Go to control panel to bridge network lands.  

Sorry out in the field to give you each step. 

But I know it can be done as I use it. 

It’s how I use my second pc that runs hq player only into usb and also my HB to my dac in usb.  

1 hour ago, ALRAINBOW said:

It’s how I use my second pc that runs hq player only into usb and also my HB to my dac in usb.  

In Server 2016 there is no control panel.  The YouTube link you showed is Server 2016 in GUI mode.  I am using Server 2016 with no GUI at all so all I can get is command prompt and I do not think its possible to bridge using powershell.

Other components:

1 hour ago, ALRAINBOW said:

stop giving advice on what you do not understand,
You only provide incorrect information,

Nic teaming is a completely different thing,

Network Bridging is not possible in core mode on a easy way,,

1 hour ago, TubeMan said:

stop giving advice on what you do not understand,
You only provide incorrect information,

Nic teaming is a completely different thing,

Network Bridging is not possible in core mode on a easy way,,

First off back off a bit. When he posted I thought he meant win SER core as in AO optimizer as he mentioned 2012. 

There is no non GUI mode in 2016 

and all I posted is true. If that is what he asked. 

Sorry of your anoywd and why anyone wants a real SER core that only works from a command prompt is way to complex for an audio. It would mean the room or hq would have to be inbeded 

nas we do ininux. 

1 hour ago, TubeMan said:

Dang, that doesnt look like its for the faint of heart.  I am going to have to dig into that more.

Other components:

On 3/24/2018 at 12:02 PM, tboooe said:

I was able to do this with Server 2012 R2 and much prefer the sound over using a switch to connect my HQP PC and NAA.  With Server 2016 I know I can do this in GUI mode but what about Core mode?  Is this possible?

I am sorry after re reading this I thought I meant core as in AO core mode. 

Its why I posted it lol.

23 minutes ago, cjf said:

I'm curious why the OP is trying to team the nic's? Are you doing it for redundancy purposes or are you doing it for performance purposes?

Assuming your only using the server for audio purposes enabling this feature is completely unnecessary and only overcomplicates your setup.

I use an NAA as a renderer so instead of connecting it to my switch, I previously connected it directly to my HQP server PC via a dual port nic that I bridged.  I feel the sound is better in this configuration versus going through a switch.  To me the sound is more clear and bit more dynamic.  Having to use a switch since moving to Server 2016 from 2012 R2 has only confirmed my opinion.

Other components:

I use a control PC running Server 2016 Core, with 2 NICs. The first NIC is connected to my network via a switch and the second goes to an SOTM Sms-200 in NAA mode. My NICs are not bridged.

The only reason I can see that you would need to bridge them is in order for the NAA to see your network or the internet, or in order for your NAA to be assigned an IP address by your router if you are unable to assign a static one within the NAA. 

If it is because of the IP address issue you could run dhcpsrv on your control PC in order to assign an IP address to the NAA.

A few other points to mention adding to what dm68 said, which I agree with:

1. If you do find the need to add a DHCP server function to your control PC be sure to set the DHCP Scope to operate on the same Subnet as the rest of your network ....BUT....make sure the Scope is set to hand out IP's that are outside the range of IP distribution being handled by any other DHCP server on your network. In other words, if your Router is configured to give out IP's from 192.168.1.1-100 then configure your new DHCP server to hand out IP's from 192.168.1.101-1xx this way other systems on your next work don't get messed up and confused. If by chance your existing DHCP Server is configured to use the entire IP Range already then you will need to scale back its Range of Distribution to a smaller Subset of IP's. No one really needs 200 + IP's on a Home network anyway so not a big deal. 

2. If you can set the IP manually on your NAA, you could Hardcode the IP to a Free IP on the same Subnet as the rest of your network ....AND....Not configure a Gateway Address. Ideally, if possible, use a cross-over cable to connect the 2nd NIC from your control PC to the NAA....AND....Hardcode the Link-Speed/Duplex settings at both ends to 100MB Full or 1000MB Full. Doing so will help eliminate Link Speed/Duplex mismatch issues and other Tx/Rx Errors between the two devices. Since no switch is involved this sometimes necessary because NIC Cards are not always able to manage such things very well which is one of the many things using a switch buys you in the first place. 

On 3/24/2018 at 12:02 PM, tboooe said:

A question I always keep my music network away from the rest 

At the router port feeding my local SW 

if home is 192.168.1.xx I make it 192.168.0.xx 

also now I use my CUST nas to do this as well with an internal enterprise 4 post man card 

4 hours ago, dm68 said:

I use a control PC running Server 2016 Core, with 2 NICs. The first NIC is connected to my network via a switch and the second goes to an SOTM Sms-200 in NAA mode. My NICs are not bridged.

The only reason I can see that you would need to bridge them is in order for the NAA to see your network or the internet, or in order for your NAA to be assigned an IP address by your router if you are unable to assign a static one within the NAA. 

If it is because of the IP address issue you could run dhcpsrv on your control PC in order to assign an IP address to the NAA.

Yes, I prefer to bridge so that i can access the NAA for troubleshooting purposes.  I believe I can just set the second network port on a different subnet however, I do not think HQP will recognize the NAA if its on a different subnet.

Other components:

• 3 months later...

I need bridging for TIDAL only.

I am setting up an INTEL NUC7i5DNH which chipset drivers and NIC driver are compatible with WS2016. I have zero experience yet with WS2016 GUI or in CORE mode.

To go all the way I strongly prefer CORE mode.

The media player is Sonore UltraRendu connected to one port of the JCAT Ethernet card..The NUC has its own NIC connected to to 192.xx subnet of router with internet.

I believe I need to bridge the two Ethernet connections in order for UltraRendu to play TIDAL. I dont want sound-wise the  media player to have its own connection to the  router parallel to the NUC, to contact Server-NUC

Can that be done in Core mode  following  instructions of the two links given in this thread or are these instructions for experts only?  IS it compatible with AO 2.2?

I have not yet installed WS 2016.

In windows 10 the music folder to share under Users/name/... can be moved to another disk. I use a shielded USB 16 G stick for it. As a kind of buffer  to bring music manually to the NUC to listen music while the whole library is on a desktop PC.

Is it easy in WS2016 to acknowledge its library is on a USB stick so the android player can see it under libraries?