IGNORED

Classical Recommendation help

Hi I am looking for a version of Orff's Carmina Burana to add to my collection. That is to say I am looking for a version where the choir in O Fortuna really blows you away with the volume and position in the mix. Does anyone know of a recording like this?

Many thanks from Bill. 

Jriver, Windows 8.1, HP Pavilion G6 2215so Laptop, Dragonfly Black, Quad QCII Preamp, Quad FM 1 Radio, Quad II amp, Quad ESL Electrostatic speaker. 

I seem to take in a fair bit more choral than others here.  So I did a little of something I rarely do, seeing what others thought of my choices.  As I suspected the recordings that came to mind are known for the choral work.  And not just in the opening/closing O Fortuna.  Since you did ask specifically for that piece I would say the Runnicles on Telarc.  Possibly someone else will overrule me.  Inside their repertoire multiple people here are more experienced and keen on certain works.

1000004002319786.jpg

Some purists would argue that classifying Orff under “classical” is a big misnomer and you should rather look for it in the “pop/rock” department. 

I’m also not a particularly big fan; but when I listen to it I often go to the Simon Rattle Berlin Version that is now even available as 24/44 remaster. 

http://www.hdtracks.com/bpo-rattle-orff-carmina-burana

simon_rattle_berliner_philharmoniker-car

A less audiophile, but even more “blow away” version is Muti from 1979.