IGNORED

studio monitor recommendation

I am looking to upgrade from my Mackie MR5 MK II monitors (in my 10' x 12' office space) to something like the Adam A7X's or Neumann KH120's. I am running Windows 10, JRiver 23, and an iFi IDAC2.

Couple of points:

1. the KH120's have only XLR connections; the IDAC2 has RCA OUTS

2. should I be considering bookshelf speakers instead of studio monitors? That would require an amp of course. Any point in pursuing this line of inquiry?

I like the simplicity of DAC > studio monitors. The DAC does not have a volume control, but I am sitting at my computer, or near enough, to use keyboard volume controls. 

You could consider something along the lines of the mini maggies and an amp as the level where sound gets really good in that environment.  On the powered front you could try to find a set of used genelec monitors.  If you haven't already it would be a good idea to investigate the difference between studio monitors and stereo speakers. 

Both options I listed are out of your stated budget.  Coming from a $150 set of speakers to looking at an $800 set makes me think something more along the lines of the Elac B6 and a good quality low cost amplifier (possibly on the used market) as replacements.  These speakers like stands for vibration isolation and best performance.  Take a look at REW and experiment with what produces the best sound at your desk listening position.  

For office listening a combined DAC/Amp would be ideal.  Without knowing what your current DAC is, but based on your speakers it could stand improvement, something along the lines of a Peachtree offering would be worth looking at for ideas.

Yes, I am also wondering if I upgrade to the Neumann KH120 or something in the $800 - $1000 range (each), will the present DAC become the weak link in the chain (It's an AMR iFi IDAC2). I am not familiar with the Elac B6, but they seem to be in the same price range as the Mackies that I have. I am looking for a significant upgrade, willing to spend up to $2000. Also want something with build quality to last; hence, the Neumann name cropped up.

That changes things a little.  Could you list what DAC you have and a rough description of the office configuration.  For instance is there room on your desk for a set of speakers and small stands.  

Typically you would spend the most on speakers.  The Elac put the weight more on electronics to get the best out of them.  For someone who would be upgrading their system this would keep yielding improvements.  A safe recommendation. 

Somehow my eyes skipped the iFi part.  The AMR is usually not prepended to the name.  Your DAC is perfectly capable. (Late night, sorry for confusion on my part.)

Nearfield listening on your desk would have been the best case for office size.  Jammed into the corners is the worst case scenario for any speaker.  Since we deal with actual sound quality here I won't even suggest using a XLR - Balanced adapter to make a set of Genelec work.  Maybe someone else will chime in eventually but I'd look at KEF LS50, that currently come with minimal stands, unless the styling is a complete no go.  They do make a powered wireless (eliminates the need for iFi DAC) version that creeps up above your budget

Compromise has to come somewhere and I think smart shopping on the used market would net you a good amp for less than the $800 price delta.  Take a very good look at both options.  Especially the versatility of the powered version; Wifi, ethernet, Bluetooth 4.0, balanced RCA, USB, and a Toslink optical input with two DAC's and 230 watts per channel.  That $800 gets you a lot besides the amp.  On the other hand, money left in your pocket could be collecting interest.  

The EQ options are another good reason to seriously consider selling the iFi and going for the powered version.  Even further tuning is possible with a phone to really dial them in.

991LS50GWC-back.jpg

Free $400 stands are a reasonable incentive to go with either version.

ls50_stands_black_pair_1000x1200.jpg

@gradier makes for an interesting case.  It can be tough to sort out who newer posters are and what level of interest they are capable of sustaining.  Certainly nothing wrong with going off to enjoy decent equipment for many years and never changing a thing.  Or taking time to learn by making intelligent decisions that require slowly moving upwards all equipment and requirements (system matching, purity of signal, personally enriching sound quality).  

The powered KEF are very visible here as a risk with great rewards.  Not always desirable in an office environment or mentality.  They represent a massive jump upwards from the monitors he was looking at and most of what has been mentioned since.  Passive version paired with his perfectly acceptable DAC + new amp might be troublesome to get right without investing a good deal more time

The real answer it to get more opinions and either visit a dealer or break out the credit card to take some manufacturers up on their trial period.  Weigh the positives and negatives in a period long enough they will start to creep in and forgo stopgaps or rash solutions.  Items made in a shed are the lifeblood of this hobby.  Their offerings can be just as good or better than mass produced items with the benefit of establishing a productive personal business relationship.  

Best of luck with your decision.

On 3/13/2018 at 5:31 PM, gradier said:

I am looking to upgrade from my Mackie MR5 MK II monitors (in my 10' x 12' office space) to something like the Adam A7X's or Neumann KH120's. I am running Windows 10, JRiver 23, and an iFi IDAC2.

Couple of points:

1. the KH120's have only XLR connections; the IDAC2 has RCA OUTS

2. should I be considering bookshelf speakers instead of studio monitors? That would require an amp of course. Any point in pursuing this line of inquiry?

I like the simplicity of DAC > studio monitors. The DAC does not have a volume control, but I am sitting at my computer, or near enough, to use keyboard volume controls. 

I'd go with the Adam A7X's -- it's going to take a lot of cash for amp and bookshelf speakers to get better sound.  Don't like the Neumann KH120's. I'd probably look for a DAC with a volume control (and XLR outs). 

mQa is dead!

Beside my really loved Presonus R65, I got a chance to try a new PMC Result6 active monitor on my desk last week-end. 

If you have the budget, and want a perfect desktop monitor, look no further it is really marvelluous. Sounds very clean even  in the bass region, has more air than anything else I tried, has punch and smoothness, it can be really loud and sounds bloody good even with youtube videos. I tried it with a Kenneth Lau DC powered Merging Hapi/Premium DSD DAC board and a Heed Abacus DAC/C100 preamp. There is absolutely nothing to criticize (except the price probably), force you to listen complete cds not tracks, has a "flow" and coherence.  I ordered one pair and a will order another pair a bit later.

pmc_asztal.jpg

i'll also throw in my vote for the wireless kefs -- they're $2500 though.  could sell the dac to narrow the budget over-run.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Many thanks for the helpful input. I ended up going with the Neumann KH120's after reading so many reviews...found them for $700 CDN each (brand new), shipped for free from Quebec, so no sales tax for me here in BC. Also picked up a couple of RCA-XLR cables so I can keep my present DAC.

On 3/19/2018 at 9:17 AM, gradier said:

Many thanks for the helpful input. I ended up going with the Neumann KH120's after reading so many reviews...found them for $700 CDN each (brand new), shipped for free from Quebec, so no sales tax for me here in BC. Also picked up a couple of RCA-XLR cables so I can keep my present DAC.

So, how do you like them? 

I'm really enjoying them, and I might still be in the "break-in stage" (if that even exists). They are perfect for my 10' x 12' home office; I have them about 5' from my listening position. The are not your regular V-shaped sound...much more forward in the mids, which I really like, and no boomy, boxy base. I attenuated the mid range down to -1.5, but it is not really necessary. The build quality is truly excellent, and I am pleased to note they are manufactured in Ireland (same as my Sennheiser HD650's possibly?). I am listening at about 25-30% volume (rock, blues, jazz, folk with pretty well no classical or electronica), using Jriver MC 23 and an iFi IDAC2. Finding the right cable might be tricky...I lucked out in finding two old-stock RCA > XLR 25" cables (have to go around the edge of the room) in my local store. Adaptors are unreliable in my experience (hum); no hum whatsoever from these shielded speakers though, even with cable of that length and a host of other electronics in the room. But the bottom line (a subjective one of course) is great sound from these babies. My other option, the Adam A7X would have cost me about $600 more, so did not seriously consider them. At $1450 CDN all in, taxes and delivery included, the Neumann kh120's seem to be (almost) a bit of a bargain.

Sorry, I'm new to all this but have loved audiophile gear for a long time.  I currently have a desk-based system as my second system.  I have space restrictions.  I went ahead with a Naim-based system - the Core as my CD ripper & main store, a model 272 preamp/streamer, and a 250DR amp.  I've just added a Chord Dave to the mix.  For speakers, I have a pair of Burmester B10s connected to my amp with a pair of Crystal Cable Reference cables.  The speakers sit on a pair of Isoacoustics stands. My iMac is connected to the Dave with an Audioquest Diamond USB cable.  The Core is connected to the Dave with a Siltech BNC-terminated digital cable.  I also have a pair of Focal Utopia headphones. With the Dave, things are sounding pretty amazing.  The speakers are great and I would highly recommend them.

Home system - Naim 272 preamp/streamer, Naim 250DR power amp, Naim Core ripper/server, Chord Dave DAC, iMac running Audirvana, Burmester B10 speakers, JL e-type subwoofer, Focal Utopia headphones, Siltech Ruby Mountain II power cable for the amp, Naim Powerline power cables for my other Naim equipment, Siltech Golden Eagle digital cable, Crystal Cable Reference speaker cables, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Furutech power distributor, attached to the wall with a short run of Odin power cable.

Portable system - A&K SP1000 DAP, Focal Utopia headphones, ALO Audio Continental tube portable headphone amp.

I see from my post above that my update to my system has not changed.  I have moved onto other gear, for the most part, than I see listed here.

Home system - Naim 272 preamp/streamer, Naim 250DR power amp, Naim Core ripper/server, Chord Dave DAC, iMac running Audirvana, Burmester B10 speakers, JL e-type subwoofer, Focal Utopia headphones, Siltech Ruby Mountain II power cable for the amp, Naim Powerline power cables for my other Naim equipment, Siltech Golden Eagle digital cable, Crystal Cable Reference speaker cables, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Furutech power distributor, attached to the wall with a short run of Odin power cable.

Portable system - A&K SP1000 DAP, Focal Utopia headphones, ALO Audio Continental tube portable headphone amp.