IGNORED

Reference & Word Clock Cables

23 hours ago, One and a half said:

50 Ohm from SAEC, reasonable prices. YEN33,000 for 1.5m.

Interesting that in the photo they seemingly have 75 ohm BNC plugs on the cables. 

I just ordered these from Japan https://item.rakuten.co.jp/auc-treevillage/8-2-bncp-bncp-06/?s-id=adm_browsehist_item using this cable

http://www.kantsu.co.jp/products/pdf/2v_type_50.pdf and the BNC connectors from here: http://www.almic.net/

These companies make cables and connectors to very high specs and both these companies specialize in making digital cables and digital connectors. But I have nothing to compare it to when it arrives :|

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

I was thinking of trying this, just as a punt and something to compare to my RG216 Pasternack cables.  Versus the Habst, it's almost free!  This would be for use between the REF10 and MC3+USB.  (so 75 ohm)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1338226-REG/canare_cal55cuhd003_12g_sdi_4k_uhd_single_channel_bnc_cable.html

In fact, it is so cheap, I almost wonder if it is worth the hassle.  Any thoughts?  Maybe there is a similar but better option?

I also found this on eBay, but I think is provenance might be a bit suspect?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CGPro-12G-SDI-BNC-to-BNC-4K-UHD-Single-Channel-Camera-Cable-2FT-60CM/391930258668?hash=item5b40dd24ec:g:ZMMAAOSwy~BaEnTL

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, elan120 said:

After looking at this thread, I decided I should also check mine, and I too have a u.FL to BNC cable that is 16 inches (400mm) long.  After change it to a 4 inch long version, this is what it look like now.

That's a neat looking job!  Am I right in thinking that's an sMS-200Ultra?  I am very tempted to do the same, although mine is 75 ohm and it looks a 4" cable would be too short, I think at least 6" would be needed to reach to 75 ohm tap?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

8 minutes ago, Confused said:

That's a neat looking job!  Am I right in thinking that's an sMS-200Ultra?  I am very tempted to do the same, although mine is 75 ohm and it looks a 4" cable would be too short, I think at least 6" would be needed to reach to 75 ohm tap?

Actually, this is a txUSBUltra, and 4 inch cable is just right.  Have you get the chance to replace yours yet?

17 hours ago, elan120 said:

After looking at this thread, I decided I should also check mine, and I too have a u.FL to BNC cable that is 16 inches (400mm) long.  After change it to a 4 inch long version, this is what it look like now.

20180413_154215.thumb.jpg.fca987e0ce164c6df5d41983eb34d400.jpg

Can you pls provide a link to where you got this cable from?

1 hour ago, elan120 said:

Actually, this is a txUSBUltra, and 4 inch cable is just right.  Have you get the chance to replace yours yet?

No, not yet.  Plus, I still need to get over the thought of possibly voiding the warranty on what is very new kit.  

Out of interest, was this a reasonably easy mod to perform?  I imagine that it is quite straightforward, but was wondering if you had any issues when doing this for real?

1 hour ago, elan120 said:

I got this cable from Pasternack, they didn't have this cable originally, and I had them customer made this cable using RG178 single shielded cable and put the link on their website here:  https://www.pasternack.com/bnc-female-umcx-2.5-plug-rg178bu-cable-assembly-pe3c5301-p.aspx

You will need to enter the length you want to get the price quote on the web page.  One thing to be mindful is the BNC connector on this cable is physically larger than the stock BNC connector, and will require enlarge the stock connector hole.

The mod is fairly easy to perform.  There are 3 things to pay attention if you plan on doing the mod yourself

1. The BNC connector from the cable I purchase is physically larger then the stock BNC connector, which you will need to enlarge the stock hole.
  2. Release stock cable from hot glue in multiple locations.  This is simple to do especially with the help of IPA, X-acto knife, and a little patience.
  3. Removing stock u.FL plug cable connector from the board.  Although there are many different tools and methods to get this done, but my preference is using the u.FL removal tool (see picture below) instead.

I will be replacing other u.FL to SMB and u.FL to u.FL cables in my txUSBUltra later today, and I will post pictures once I am done.  So far, I am quite pleased with the result just by replacing this u.FL to BNC cable.

20180414_112250.thumb.jpg.ef80cbd134d56f4d8118facc45282f34.jpg

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Did it make a difference to SQ?

On ١٤‏/٤‏/٢٠١٨ at 9:21 PM, elan120 said:

I got this cable from Pasternack, they didn't have this cable originally, and I had them customer made this cable using RG178 single shielded cable and put the link on their website here:  https://www.pasternack.com/bnc-female-umcx-2.5-plug-rg178bu-cable-assembly-pe3c5301-p.aspx

You will need to enter the length you want to get the price quote on the web page.  One thing to be mindful is the BNC connector on this cable is physically larger than the stock BNC connector, and will require enlarge the stock connector hole.

The mod is fairly easy to perform.  There are 3 things to pay attention if you plan on doing the mod yourself

1. The BNC connector from the cable I purchase is physically larger then the stock BNC connector, which you will need to enlarge the stock hole.
  2. Release stock cable from hot glue in multiple locations.  This is simple to do especially with the help of IPA, X-acto knife, and a little patience.
  3. Removing stock u.FL plug cable connector from the board.  Although there are many different tools and methods to get this done, but my preference is using the u.FL removal tool (see picture below) instead.

I will be replacing other u.FL to SMB and u.FL to u.FL cables in my txUSBUltra later today, and I will post pictures once I am done.  So far, I am quite pleased with the result just by replacing this u.FL to BNC cable.

20180414_112250.thumb.jpg.ef80cbd134d56f4d8118facc45282f34.jpg

Can you post the link from where you bought the u.FL removal tool?

On 4/14/2018 at 8:21 PM, elan120 said:

1. Release stock cable from hot glue in multiple locations.  This is simple to do especially with the help of IPA, X-acto knife, and a little patience.

May I ask what is IPA? I know only Indian Pale Ale. A couple of pints of those to have the courage to touch the thing 9_9

Also, more importantly, I noticed a thick grey cable going from the sCLK-ex to the USB board in your photo. It says something like "computer..ata". What is that cable? Where does it connect to on the USB board? Was that in the unit when you bought it?? 

I don't have that cable at all. See the photo in the first post of this thread (my photo that @Confused shared). 

BTW nice job with the clock cables!

Zoltan

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

4 hours ago, zoltan said:

May I ask what is IPA? I know only Indian Pale Ale. A couple of pints of those to have the courage to touch the thing 9_9

That will be one way to get the job done :P  But in my case, I was using IsoPropyl Alcohol, as a de-bonding agent to loosen the hot glue used to glue down those cables and connectors.  I use Q-tip to soak some IPA and then apply IPA to the hot glue bonding area, hot glue should de-bond from the gluing surface after soaking with IPA for few seconds, if not, just soak some more of IPA and a bit longer, it should come off very easily.  In some areas where the glue formed to some odd shapes, a fine tip tweezers will help also.

4 hours ago, zoltan said:

Also, more importantly, I noticed a thick grey cable going from the sCLK-ex to the USB board in your photo. It says something like "computer..ata". What is that cable? Where does it connect to on the USB board? Was that in the unit when you bought it?? 

This "grey" cable goes from SEL0 connector on sCLK-EX board to the back panel of txUSBUltra.  I am using this cable to send selector signal from my DDC (Singxer SU-1) to sCLK-EX board to switch between 22.5792MHz and 24.576MHz sampling frequencies from sCLK-EX to my DDC via one of the four sCLK-EX outputs.

On 3/21/2018 at 8:20 AM, Confused said:

In terms of the "fly lead" approach, so connecting direct between the clock output and the SOtM board, I have found these two candidates:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/24inch-Cable-Straight-75ohm-Right/dp/B071D2F41J/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1521638042&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=mcx++to+bnc+0.6m+75+ohm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-24inch-RF-Coax-Cable-MCX-Male-Plug-Straight-to-BNC-Male-Plug-75ohm-Right/272837402958?hash=item3f8660614e:g:9i0AAOSwP8BZsO32

I am not sure if the "right angle" connectors are an issue, but that is about all I can find.

Did you try either of these?

I'm looking for a U.FL (RF) from the sCLK to a male BNC for the master clock cable.

On 4/13/2018 at 6:20 PM, elan120 said:

20180413_154215.thumb.jpg.fca987e0ce164c6df5d41983eb34d400.jpg

I wonder if Pasternack would make a U.FL female to BNC male cable.  That would be direct from the sCLK to master clock without an additional cable or interface.

4 hours ago, Johnseye said:

I wonder if Pasternack would make a U.FL female to BNC male cable.  That would be direct from the sCLK to master clock without an additional cable or interface.

I believe they can, that's what I did with the cable I use, but we might need to engineer a simple method to secure the cable and the connector, especially the u.FL connector, so they can stay connected securely.

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:19 PM, Johnseye said:

Did you try either of these?

I'm looking for a U.FL (RF) from the sCLK to a male BNC for the master clock cable.

No I haven't.  To be honest, this one has dropped a long way down my 'to do' list.  This is a case of the SOtM bundle highlighting some other issues with my system, which need to take priority.  I do not want to post about this here, as it is way too off topic for this thread.  I will write a detailed post somewhere appropriate when I have the time.  Let's just say I need to sort out a more fundamental issue with my system first before I get into this level of tweaking.  One day though......

• 1 month later...

I spotted this on Amazon.  It is 12G SDI spec, available in any length (or colour) you want, and not too expensive.

Does anyone have any insight as to if it might be any good?  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Video-Belden-Neutrik-NBNC75TU11X-Orange/dp/B07BZSXV35/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1529410778&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=12G-SDI%2B75ohm&th=1

• 11 months later...

Any suggestions for a shorter cable to replace the 40cm MCX (male) to BNC (female) cable inside a tX-USBultra that has a 75ohm clock input?

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker