IGNORED

Sonore questions

Hello,

im new to Sonore but not computer audio.  I’m contemplating a sonore micro or ultra rendu to replace my current custom built audio pc.  I have a few questions( sorry in advance if they are trivial).

My current setup as to provide a baseline:

music pc - Samsung SSD, Windows 10, fanless case, PPA usb card, Asus MB, HDPLEX 100w LPS, running fidelizer 8 and Jriver

I have a Uptone ISO Regen with Ultra LPS-1, Schiit Yggdrasil dac

i enjoy using Jriver and the JRemote for simplicity sake.  To continue using Jriver, I would utilize the the DLNA output mode on the sonore correct?  Regardless of using this or Roon software for example still requires the use of a pc right?  The jriver or roon needs to run off a real PC to function correct?  So either way I need to utilize my existing audio pc?  I do have a synology NAS but it seems this route is more complicated.

Will using the Sonore running one of the softwares still outperform my existing pc?  The pc no longer feeds the dac but rather the Sonore which accounts for the (theoretical) sonic improvement?

ok last question...I think;).  With above mentioned equipment (Uptone stuff and Schiit Yggy), do I need the UltraRendu or will the Micro be sufficient?

thanks!

brandon

Your understanding of how it works is correct. You'll need your existing PC as a  server for Jriver or some other program. You could also use the NAS as the server.

Most people feel this kind of setup outperforms a PC direct to DAC setup.

Whether you need an mR or a uR is hard to say. Most think the uR is better,  but you have to decide if you want to spend more.

I tend to get the best I can afford, but if you think the uR isn't your ultimate source, maybe stick with the mR for now and spend money on an even better source than the uR  later.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, Bigbwb said:

I appreciate the feedback!  Any thoughts on using NAS as server vs the pc compare?  What control or interface options are available going this route?

That is what Im doing here with my Synology NAS. You could your NAS’ DLNA server with a DLNA controller on a phone or tablet. 

1 minute ago, vortecjr said:

That is what Im doing here with my Synology NAS. You could your NAS’ DLNA server with a DLNA controller on a phone or tablet. 

Can you provide the names of those controller options (Apple iPad/ iPhone user here).

how does one create playlists, change sampling rates etc going this route?

The issue you could have with a NAS is if it is powerful enough or if the server program you want to install is suitable for the NAS.

What NAS are you using?

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

8 hours ago, Bigbwb said:

Synology ds413j

AFAIK that should be fine for what you are trying to do (JRiver).

On 3/11/2018 at 10:21 PM, Bigbwb said:

Can you provide the names of those controller options (Apple iPad/ iPhone user here).

how does one create playlists, change sampling rates etc going this route?

You need to install minimserver on your NAS. Would also install BubbleUPNP on the NAS for Open home support.

If you have an Ipad, then I think the best controller is Lumin. You can also try Linn Kazoo among others.

If you are on Android, then the BubbleUPNP app is a good choice.

Minimserver is quite configurable via Minimwatch. I don't do playlists, so you'll need input from others on that.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
3 hours ago, jcn3 said:

You need to install minimserver on your NAS. Would also install BubbleUPNP on the NAS for Open home support.

If you have an Ipad, then I think the best controller is Lumin. You can also try Linn Kazoo among others.

If you are on Android, then the BubbleUPNP app is a good choice.

Minimserver is quite configurable via Minimwatch. I don't do playlists, so you'll need input from others on that.

Thank you!  I will look into these:)