IGNORED

Well Produced Progressive Rock/Metal Albums

Any prog rock or metal fans out there?  Any albums that you believe to be of outstanding recording/production quality?  Here's a few I think sound amazing just to kick things off:

Ayreon - The Source

Haken - The Mountain

Earthside - A Dream in Static

David Maxim Micic - pretty much anything mixed and mastered by him.  

Opeth - Watershed

Steve Hackett - The Night Siren

Caligula's Horse - In Contact

Devin Townsend Project - Transcendance

District 97 - In Vaults (mastered by Bob Katz)

Circle of Illusion - Jeremias

Steven Wilson - Hand Cannot Erase

Leprous - Malina

Karmakanic - DOT

Mastodon - Emperor of Sand

I'm only on the prog side of things, but I agree with those you've listed that I am familiar with. Indeed, anything Steven Wilson has been associated with, or touched is phenomenal. His albums with Porcupine Tree, as well as the Yes, and Jethro Tull remix/remasters has been singularly brilliant. In that vein, I just received the new Jethro Tull remixed/remastered 'New Shoes" Heavy Horses boxed set and it sound superb. This album is a great favorite of mine, and Mr. Wilson, as he did with the "Songs From The Wood project did brilliant work here. 

A shame there is no Hi Rez available, although perhaps there will be in a while. However, much as I would love the Hi Res.  version, I would not wish to give up an entire second cd of rare songs and outtakes, much less a full concert from 78 on DVD, as well as another live performance remixed to 5.1 surround on DVD and a beautiful nearly a hundred page book with great color photos, song information and concert comementaries. None but the original album would be available on HiRes. As usual, they want every penny they can scrape out of us. 

JC

I've been into Porcupine Tree ever since Gavin Harrison took over on drums - actually the album before.  One of my favorite all time bands ever - seen them live 3 times.  Seen Wilson solo project live once so far.  Wilson is certainly under-appreciated as a re-mixer.  He especially flies under the radar as a premier 5.1 mixer.  I was shocked to see the back catalogue he's put his heart into.  

Last night, I bought The Neal Morse Band - A Similitude of a Dream 16/48.  I regret not splurging on the 24/48 version!  I just may go buy it as well.  Of course Spock's Beard was a major influence in my musical journey.

Knowing now that you lean more toward prog vs metal, I'd certainly point you to District 97 - In Vaults if you aren't familiar with it.  Decent dynamic range preserved and mastered by Bob Katz.  Very organic performances as well as sound scape.  

Thanks for replying - I'll check out the JT album if I can come across it at a decent price.  I don't think it's on Tidal is it?  

28 minutes ago, buonassi said:

Thanks for replying - I'll check out the JT album if I can come across it at a decent price.  I don't think it's on Tidal is it?  

Havent seen it yet, but Tidal does a pretty good job of adding these. It also just literally got released two days ago, so it's early on. 

JC

As for Prog Rock, I have always been a sucker for The Alan Parsons Project's "I Robot", especially for it's staggering imaging and tonal brilliance. I hope to soon do a comparison between the MoFi SACD and the Classic Records HDAD of "I Robot".

Now Van Halen might not be considered "metal" by some people. Nevertheless, it's good, hard rock from, at least, a minimalist's point of view. In any case, I have to recommend the 24/192 (from HDTracks) versions of their 1st ("Van Halen") and 2nd ("Van Halen II") albums. They feature exquisite soundstaging and clean sound.

• 4 weeks later...

All the TOOL albums are pretty good recordings for Prog/Metal (wish there was hi res options)...  I am a huge King Crimson fan and many of the Steven Wilson hi res re-mixes are good.  Most of the newer KC stuff is pretty good, and some is available in hi res.  The current live touring outfit of KC is a beast, crazy good, go see them if you have the chance, almost never will one see rock music of this caliber performed live at such a high level of musicianship and intricacy.  Pretty much anything Steve Wilson does is at least improved to the extent that it can be, but original rock recordings from the 70s are usually compromised, Yes, etc (nobody thought this music would still be around now back then).

There is a lot of progressive rock music that I just wish was better recorded, the music deserves it, but alas...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio