IGNORED

I guess music sounds best with a 64GB partition

On 2/23/2018 at 9:10 PM, wgscott said:

I wonder what filesystem sounds best?  Perhaps different 64 GB partitions could be created with HFS+, APFS, EXT3, NTFS, FAT, etc.

Fat imo.

Worth investigating. pretty easy for people to test these things for themselves as opposed to ranting on the internet.

36 minutes ago, wushuliu said:

Fat imo.

Worth investigating. pretty easy for people to test these things for themselves as opposed to ranting on the internet.

One approach requires reformatting a hard drive, and then restoring a bunch of files to it, or better yet, making two identical partitions, but formatting them with two different filesystems, and then doing a double-blind test.

The other approach requires thinking that if the contents of the music file are loaded into memory before playback, the physical device and its format, or streaming source, cannot matter.  The latter is much easier.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2018 at 8:41 PM, plissken said:

From Positively Delusion, er I mean Positive Feedback:

That said, he laid out a plan on this current thread involving the Samsung EVO M2 as follows: create a new partition for a 64GB additional drive from the 250GB boot drive. Less than 100GB (out of 250GB) was currently being used for the OS and programs, so it was no sweat to allocate the needed space for the 64GB drive for music files. I renamed the new drive Samsung 960 EVO Music and assigned the drive letter "M" to reduce any confusion.

Dalibor's claim for success was based on the following: the Samsung M2, which is currently considered the gold standard among SSDs (thanks, MicroCenter guy, for not letting me buy anything else!), is the fastest SSD that exists. The Kingston drive that is also internal to my laptop only reads (only!) at about 580 gbps, so it's still significantly slower than the Samsung. The Samsung is also rocket-fast when compared to any kind of card, like an SD. And the real icing is that the new 64GB drive is essentially internal to the existing 250GB Samsung, so there's no connection transition. They're perfectly linked to each other.

So does the same apply with the 500GB EVO M2 where you could make an even larger partition for your music files? I believe the guy and I'm all in on this. And, BTW,  are you related to Snake Plissken?