IGNORED

I guess music sounds best with a 64GB partition

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

Since you don't publicly share the system you use, who knows what matters to you? But for those of us who work with less than perfect systems, faster hard drives mean less opportunity for the OS to screw up playback.

???

I can put together a $200 machine that will do 24/192 at almost idle. How cheap can one be?

13 minutes ago, skikirkwood said:

What are you guys doing with old SGI workstations - that still work?  I worked at SGI from '90 to '96.  It was a fun time to be there.

Nothing. It collects dust along side my Amiga 3000UX, NeXT Cube, and HP 9000 model 712. 

You wouldn't happen to be John Sculley that was banned at a Stereophile online publication by correcting Lavorgna/Swenson on CPU caching?

Just now, plissken said:

Nothing. It collects dust along side my Amiga 3000UX, NeXT Cube, and HP 9000 model 712. 

You wouldn't happen to be John Sculley that was banned at a Stereophile online publication by correcting Lavorgna/Swenson on CPU caching?

I am not John Sculley - who I believe never worked at SGI.  Lavorgna has threatened to ban me from Audiostream after my first comment posting there.  I'm waiting for the right moment to post my next comment and join the large group of ML-banned users. 

This is also on point for this thread:

But as I said, if memory access noise is such a huge factor, the sequential accesses to the i/o buffers are going to dominate any cache locality issues associated with the code. That is just a fact. When a filesystem block is transferred from the disk into memory it uses DMA which doesn't, (in general in an Intel architecture machine) prime the cache and causes noise on the bus. When the program starts copying bytes from the i/o buffer for decompression/decoding it causes noise on the bus as the corresponding cache lines are read.

The program then writes these decompressed/decoded bytes out to the output buffer. When these are flushed to memory for i/o purposes, they cause more memory bus noise. Then when DMA moves them from the output buffer to the USB controller for output to the DAC more memory bus noise occurs. This is all w/o even considering the memory accesses which may be needed to fetch code if cache locality for the code is poor.

Sequential access to data is a cache killer and it can't be helped in application such as audio. Code would have to be almost criminally poor to get to the point where code in the inner loops would be stepping on itself.

I've spent more time than I care to think about working on cache issues and control code for Silicon Graphics workstations. I know how this works, and I see no evidence than John is a computer hardware engineer in his bio in part 1. I am a software engineer who worked at the hardware/software interface for more than a decade. I know how this works, and I understand the implications for performance.

2 minutes ago, mansr said:

HP bought Compaq, then Fiorina tanked HP.

HP was going to tank irregardless of Fiorina. There aren't that many forward thinking leaders in the tech industry to go around. HP's businesses have become commoditized.

I'm shocked MS had the brains to find Satya Nadella.

28 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

she certainly effed it up faster

now... did you mean regardless, or irrespective?  or that she was indeed a main causal factor in the demise of hp?

HP was already tanking. I don't know what executive out there could turn them around. 

Apple was turned around because SJ fundamentally took them from a computer company to a consumer devices and services company. The compute engineering side of that is simply a backbone to power their consumer ambitions. 

HP can't be the company it once was. It will have to drastically change and be a very different HP.