IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR4 PSU

• 2 months later...

according to what's printed on the SR4 it doesn't look like it

_20180221_173949-640x740.JPG.336bc5821fdc070ffdc838a7bacfa35a.JPG

12v is the highest voltage, but its whether the M-Scaler will take less than 15v.

Once they start appearing in the wild we need someone with a SR4 and a M-Scaler to give it a try......

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

4 hours ago, Jiffi32 said:

according to what's printed on the SR4 it doesn't look like it

_20180221_173949-640x740.JPG.336bc5821fdc070ffdc838a7bacfa35a.JPG

12v is the highest voltage, but its whether the M-Scaler will take less than 15v.

Once they start appearing in the wild we need someone with a SR4 and a M-Scaler to give it a try......

I appear, unintentionally, to have irritated a few people over on the Head-fi Mscaler thread raising my concern about Chord’s prohibition on using power supplies other than the one provided in the warranty text.  It’s probably a subject too sensitive to talk much about now.  The supplied power supply will undoubtedly allow Mscaler to shine and to match anything Blu2 can do short of playing CDs.  I’ll be getting mine tomorrow, that is assuming the dealer’s driver who was too sick to deliver today recovers by then.  I’m even hoping the Mscaler might even be a little better than Blu2 due to external power supply, absence of the CD transport and circuitry and possible use of various next generation components.  Possibly wishful thinking, but we’ll see.

I do have an SR4 but am uncertain if it would be adequate to properly drive the Mscaler.  I’m certainly not going to risk it, and in any case the benefit it brings to my tX-USBultra would likely far outweigh any benefit it might bring to the Mscaler.  There are several other less contentious options for fine tuning that I will be concentrating on, you know, the usual cables, ferrites etc.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

35 minutes ago, str-1 said:

I appear, unintentionally, to have irritated a few people over on the Head-fi Mscaler thread raising my concern about Chord’s prohibition on using power supplies other than the one provided in the warranty text.  It’s probably a subject too sensitive to talk much about now.

I didn't notice anyone getting particularly irritated - the Chord sponsor was merely pointing out the strict new warranty rules - because some people do stupid things (rather than there being anything abnormal about the m-scaler load). Apart from that, Rob has previously posted that the m-scaler can be driven by lower voltages than 15v. I can't remember what the exact minumum was, but 12v was definitely within the range.

As the m-scaler draws no more than 18w, I don't see any reason why an SR4 couldn't drive it. I'll certainly be trying my SR7 when I get the chance, but that won't be for months because I won't be buying the m-scaler before I can properly demo it.

So yes, the warranty aspect is a concern - some will be more concerned than others.

43 minutes ago, TheAttorney said:

didn't notice anyone getting particularly irritated - the Chord sponsor was merely pointing out the strict new warranty rules - because some people do stupid things (rather than there being anything abnormal about the m-scaler load).

I might have been unduly sensitive and misread.  Been a funny day tinged with the disappointment of learning early on that for reasons beyond my dealer’s control my Mscaler was not after all going to be delivered today after I had made various arrangements to prepare for that.  It was only as the discussion I started developed that I became conscious that my tone was other than I would normally want it to be. 

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

1 hour ago, str-1 said:

I might have been unduly sensitive and misread.

The people on that thread remind me of religious zealots who take everything Rob Watts (the deity) says as the Gospel.  They get upset whenever someone contradicts something that he has stated as a truth, regardless of the actual reality of the situation.  (See DAVE power supply as an obvious example.)

Looks like Mscaler takes the larger pin hole in the 5.5mm plug.  All my power supplies (incl. SR4) have leads with the smaller pin hole plugs.  I imagine using adapters would take the edge off any performance improvement

10 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I guess that will keep you from voiding your warranty.  ?

Sure will.

6 hours ago, str-1 said:

Audio Bacon has just compared the Uptone LPS-1.2 to the SR4

https://audiobacon.net/2018/09/20/uptone-audio-ultracap-lps-1-2-out-the-gate-musicality/

Yes, Jay enjoyed both the SR4  the UltraCap LPS-1.2 and we appreciate it.

I’m just scratching my head about why he went on and on about AC power cords (though for the LPS-1.2 he liked it best with the 18-inch cord we supply—going straight into the wall). The experience of most of our clents is that the DC output cable is where further gains are to be had.  B|

11 hours ago, str-1 said:

Audio Bacon has just compared the Uptone LPS-1.2 to the SR4

https://audiobacon.net/2018/09/20/uptone-audio-ultracap-lps-1-2-out-the-gate-musicality/

This confirms the rather large sq jump I had recently when changing all my power leads to DPS-4, adding one lead at a time, each step gave a noticeable improvement. Then when I replaced the lead on the SR4 there was a wtf!! moment.

It was a far bigger jump than on any other item, bigger than when I first added the SR4. I had started to doubt my sanity until I read J's review.

Seems I'm still just slightly mad rather than completely crazy ??

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

Thanks @Jiffi32.  Unfortunately, that cable does not appear to be available with a UK plug, which seems to be a problem (for me) with some other popular not-too-expensive cables frequently mentioned on the forums, such as the Pangea cables.

I would welcome hearing from others about their experiences with upgrading power cables for use with either the SR4 or the SR7, and also experience with using power conditioners.  What has worked well and what has worked not quite so well? 

My SR4 is clearly not yet delivering its best being fed (for the moment) with a standard cheap kettle cable.

1 hour ago, str-1 said:

Unfortunately, that cable does not appear to be available with a UK plug, which seems to be a problem (for me) with some other popular not-too-expensive cables frequently mentioned on the forums, such as the Pangea cables.

Furutech made some UK plugs as well

http://www.furutech.com/2016/12/09/14223/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Furutech-FI-UK-1363-NCF-Rhodium/dp/B074N7QKQS

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/furutech-fi-1363-ncf-rhodium-top-of-the-line-uk-mains-connector

Since DPS-4 is a bulk wire, perhaps that could be terminated with any plugs we want?

Jay’s review of the SR4 and the LPS-1.2 was very thorough and actually quite informative about the relative differences between the two power supplies.

Of particular interest were the mains cord test results. It was obvious that the “never connected to the mains” technique of the LPS-1.2 was worthwhile as it was reducing the effect of mains cords to a very low level. Any residual differences he noticed were likely just due to stray coupling within and around the power supply. The energy required by the equipment the power supply energises, has the Ultracap bank as it’s ultimate energy source, and this would usually be much cleaner than the mains. This just left the overall performance of the power supply on display and this performance was certainly very good, even with a relatively low quality mains cord.

The reason I do not provide mains cords with the SR4 is that historically the vast majority of my customers have preferred to use their own favourite after market upgrade mains cords rather than a generic bog standard off the shelf mains lead. There would be no point in supplying a basic mains cord that would be unused. Jay was aware of this and it encouraged him to experiment with feeding the SR4 with different mains leads and he has reported his findings accordingly. He found that the performance of the SR4 using the low cost mains cord supplied with the LPS-1.2 was restricted by the mains cord quality. The fact that he was able to elevate the performance of the SR4 noticeably above that of the LPS-1.2 by selection of the mains cord is valuable and I see this as a useful upgrade path without having to purchase a new power supply. The overall cost is higher but so is the performance. This is a known upgrade path with mains connected equipment.

If customers are on a budget, and have no intention of further expenditure upgrading, then either of the two power supplies are valid choices, depending on personal presentation preferences. However for those wanting a relatively simple upgrade path via a mains cord upgrade, now or in the future, then the SR4 would allow this and Jay has provided some option information.

DC leads can also be upgraded to improve overall performance further.

Design and manufacture of high performance power supplies

6 hours ago, str-1 said:

Thanks @Jiffi32.  Unfortunately, that cable does not appear to be available with a UK plug, which seems to be a problem (for me) with some other popular not-too-expensive cables frequently mentioned on the forums, such as the Pangea cables.

I would welcome hearing from others about their experiences with upgrading power cables for use with either the SR4 or the SR7, and also experience with using power conditioners.  What has worked well and what has worked not quite so well? 

My SR4 is clearly not yet delivering its best being fed (for the moment) with a standard cheap kettle cable.

VH Audio will build a cable to your specification:

VH Audio has the new Furutech DPS-4 Bulk AC Power cable in stock. This is Furutech's state-of-the-art bulk cable, made with the new DUCC conductor material. Available for DIY termination into your favorite connector (I recommend the Furutech FI-50 NCF). I also offer a termination service into Furutech's FI-50 series connectors, if you are not a DIY'er. To order a completed cable, simply purchase the cable, and FI-50 series connectors, and add the termination charge (per cable).

1 hour ago, paulhynes said:

Jay’s review of the SR4 and the LPS-1.2 was very thorough and actually quite informative about the relative differences between the two power supplies.

Of particular interest were the mains cord test results. It was obvious that the “never connected to the mains” technique of the LPS-1.2 was worthwhile as it was reducing the effect of mains cords to a very low level. Any residual differences he noticed were likely just due to stray coupling within and around the power supply. The energy required by the equipment the power supply energises, has the Ultracap bank as it’s ultimate energy source, and this would usually be much cleaner than the mains. This just left the overall performance of the power supply on display and this performance was certainly very good, even with a relatively low quality mains cord.

The reason I do not provide mains cords with the SR4 is that historically the vast majority of my customers have preferred to use their own favourite after market upgrade mains cords rather than a generic bog standard off the shelf mains lead. There would be no point in supplying a basic mains cord that would be unused. Jay was aware of this and it encouraged him to experiment with feeding the SR4 with different mains leads and he has reported his findings accordingly. He found that the performance of the SR4 using the low cost mains cord supplied with the LPS-1.2 was restricted by the mains cord quality. The fact that he was able to elevate the performance of the SR4 noticeably above that of the LPS-1.2 by selection of the mains cord is valuable and I see this as a useful upgrade path without having to purchase a new power supply. The overall cost is higher but so is the performance. This is a known upgrade path with mains connected equipment.

If customers are on a budget, and have no intention of further expenditure upgrading, then either of the two power supplies are valid choices, depending on personal presentation preferences. However for those wanting a relatively simple upgrade path via a mains cord upgrade, now or in the future, then the SR4 would allow this and Jay has provided some option information.

DC leads can also be upgraded to improve overall performance further.

Yes I agree that was a very interesting and comprehensive review of Jay’s.

Back when I first got the SR-4, I experimented with power cords. I found  that stepping up to even a modest $50 Pangea AC-14SE MkII gave me a very noticeable SQ boost. But I haven’t gone further.

Based on Jay’s review, I plan to try the experiment with a couple power cables in the $250-750 range I happen to have laying around, and will report back.

I will say that even on the LPS-1.2, using a $50 Pangea on the SMPS made a small improvement for me.

I’m at a point now where i “just say no” to stock power cords. I’ll start with a cheap Pangea and then make a per-component choice to spend more if the findings warrant.

Works for me!

Thanks for all the comments guys.  Been visiting relatives today and just got back.  After a couple of nights poor sleep I find I have nothing left in the tank and am going to bed.  I’ll starting following up on your very helpful suggestions tomorrow.

On 9/18/2018 at 11:25 PM, str-1 said:

Looks like Mscaler takes the larger pin hole in the 5.5mm plug.  All my power supplies (incl. SR4) have leads with the smaller pin hole plugs.  I imagine using adapters would take the edge off any performance improvement

I guess the M Scaler had a female 2.5mm plug end.

Can you shoot a closer photo of this plug or the end of SMPS?

5 minutes ago, davide256 said:

While not in the market at the moment, I do want to call out a concern. Review of Paul's site shows no mention of the SR4; how does one order the SR4 when ready to do so?

If I Google "buy Paul Hynes SR4" there is no usable URL found to make a purchase

Email to [email protected]