IGNORED

Vinyl Hub

I'm not a big fan of vinyl, but the new VinylHub looks cool. 

https://www.vinylhub.com/

Welcome to VinylHub!

It's like Discogs, for Record Shops & Record Events. Our mission is to document every physical record shop and record event on the planet. With your help, we can create an accurate listing of all record shops & record events, useful to diggers and travelers everywhere. VinylHub is brought to you by Discogs.

If you have questions or need help using this, please ask in our forum. Thanks!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Such things on any subject whatsoever are so wrong they are  near useless.  Even the big 'commercial' ones, such as the MS Bing shop catalogue or restaurant/hotel  'reviewing' sites. Bing lists 4 hifi shops and 5 model airplane shops  in my town of 350,000 people. There aren't any of either. And one fishing shop they list in that town is 30 miles away from the town's closest border, it's not even in the same county.

2 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

Such things on any subject whatsoever are so wrong they are  near useless.  Even the big 'commercial' ones, such as the MS Bing shop catalogue or restaurant/hotel  'reviewing' sites. Bing lists 4 hifi shops and 5 model airplane shops  in my town of 350,000 people. There aren't any of either.

Um, OK. Then nobody should ever try to do anything like this. I really feel your entrepreneurial spirit. 

Plus, there's Wikipedia, a crowd sourced experiment that's a huge failure (not). 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

26 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Um, OK. Then nobody should ever try to do anything like this. I really feel your entrepreneurial spirit. 

Plus, there's Wikipedia, a crowd sourced experiment that's a huge failure (not). 

Not everyone wants to be an entrepreneur. And far more   of us  could be than want to. I'd rather go fishing. I do a lot of that in the summer.

As for the rest: If you say so.  Wiki this won't be.  A vinyl shop in my town lasted a month. It is impossible to keep such things anywhere near current. Someone  'puts it up' on the directory He doesn't  pass it again for two months but it's already been closed for six weeks.

(I'm a great enthusiast of Wiki and one of the small proportion that regulary donate to it or even donate at all. But  I would not use it for anything  that I relied on - most of it is not a 'current directory', as you know perfectly well - Princess Diana is still dead. Even our local council 'business directory' is useless and that only covers a few square miles)

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm not a big fan of vinyl, but the new VinylHub looks cool. 

https://www.vinylhub.com/

Welcome to VinylHub!

It's like Discogs, for Record Shops & Record Events. Our mission is to document every physical record shop and record event on the planet. With your help, we can create an accurate listing of all record shops & record events, useful to diggers and travelers everywhere. VinylHub is brought to you by Discogs.

If you have questions or need help using this, please ask in our forum. Thanks!

Fantastic idea.

55 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

Not everyone wants to be an entrepreneur. And far more   of us  could be than want to. I'd rather go fishing.

As long as your "could be" is modified by "hugely unsuccessful," I'm with you; in which case fishing is clearly the better alternative...

I think Chris is  more interested in what makes for successful entrepreneurs.  In that regard,  accepting that Vinyl has become a much bigger trend than most of us would have thought, providing a map to a potential treasure trove of content seems like a very viable concept.  That doesn't mean the execution will match the idea; but its not at all a bad idea. 

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

11 hours ago, sdolezalek said:

As long as your "could be" is modified by "hugely unsuccessful," I'm with you; in which case fishing is clearly the better alternative...

I think Chris is  more interested in what makes for successful entrepreneurs.  In that regard,  accepting that Vinyl has become a much bigger trend than most of us would have thought, providing a map to a potential treasure trove of content seems like a very viable concept.  That doesn't mean the execution will match the idea; but its not at all a bad idea. 

I don't care if they are "successful". What is success? It is certainly  not limited to money grubbing.

In the UK we've got a supposedly 'successful'  fat toad with a big wart on  his face who steals money from  the pension scheme of his  'minimum wage' employees  and is heartily disliked by everyone else in the UK, including his paid for bimbos. Is that 'success'?

The idea is fine. The practice won't be.

Entrepreneurs? 

If you want to be an entrepreneur and don't know how go on a course run by a successful one. Such courses are hard to find as successful ones are usually on their superyachts.

Obviously don't go on one given by  some nonentity who makes less than you do. Instead of being on their superyachts they 'teach'  at the local  'business' school.

Of course that is also true of these inky fingered scribblers located in   damp basements  writing the financial pages of a newspaper or for Bloomberg's . 

18 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

. Would be cool if there was a digital equivalent of this but I can't think of anything digital that could benefit from such a resource. 

Be nice if  Tidal had a sane search function. It's far less accurate than this vinyl shop directory.

Same for  Google Maps. A  UK small town 700 years old with a population of over 2000  and  with a  (fully indicated on Google) 'main road' going though the middle of it  is totally absent.