IGNORED

Help me to make desicion: Brooklyn DAC+ or Yaggy

Hello all - please help me to make decision and free me from this agony :)

First of all my setup:

Raspberry Pi (running piCorePlayer) with Digi+ > Audioquest Coffee coax > Schiit Bifrost Multibit > Blue Jean RCA > Schiit Freya (stock tubes) > Blue Jean RCA > Bryston 4B Cube amp > Audioquest Rocket 88 speaker cable > Dynaudio Focus 380 speakers. Stock power cords were plugged into Audioquest Niagara 1000 power conditioner  > Audioquest Thunder powercord plugged to wall socket.

I like DAC+ because I can play MQA, use it as preamp, and has a nice display screen

I like Yaggy with analogue upgrade because everyone (except Stereophile) say that it's the best DAC and plays music with highest quality.

MQA is a nice to have for me. Transparency, 3D sound quality with low noise are what I am after.

Thanks.

Schiit hates MQA so if you want the MQA option you go with Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. Plan on buying an external LPS for the DAC+ even a $380 Sbooster works well. Also an Eitr. What are your sources? If you are going to be streaming Tidal and want MQA you go for the Brooklyn.

Both are good DACs. All things being equal, if one has features you want, choose that one. If you want MQA or DSD playback go with the Brooklyn. If you want the preamp and other functions go with the Brooklyn. 

But you already have a Schiit multibit DAC. Do you generally like the sound? If you do, you will probably prefer the Schiit to the Brooklyn. If you find the Bifrost really lacks something for you sonically, then switch to the Brooklyn. It will give you a different sound/presentation. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

@exdmd - My sources are TIDAL and a combination of hi rez / redbook FLAC from HDD play from Raspberry PI. If I get DAC+, I will probably get Uptone JS LPS. If I use Audioquest Jitterbug, do I need Eitr? Not sure if there is need to convert USB > SPDIF

@firedog - I like the Bimby. One of the reason for the upgrade is I want to feed XLR to my amp. I heard that isolate ground better hence more black background. I am buying a new DAC pretty much based on forum members opinion and professional reviews. I guess I can go to a local audio shop and listen to Mytek but I need to drive at least 45 minutes to get there and I see no benefit in store demo considering that the store setup is totally different than my home setup.

Sounds like both DACs are high quality / performing products and really a matter of my preference in terms of features and usability.

@Whyme if you buy Yggy USB Gen 5 (Eitr) is built in. Eitr provides electrical isolation and reclocks the data. Putting a Jitterbug in front of the Eitr may make a difference, may not. You would have to try for yourself. Let us know if you try it. You still need an Eitr with the Brooklyn DAC+ I have one. Well technically you don't need it but you will want it once you hear the improvement in sound quality.  I have been living with a Brooklyn DAC+ for three months now. I did economize on the LPS bought the Sbooster.

@Whyme most of my listening nowadays is streaming Tidal and I wanted an MQA certified DAC to take advantage of MQA releases. When I bought the DAC+ it seemed the best value for money spent for MQA DACs. Yes Eitr passes MQA to the Brooklyn DAC+ over 75 ohm S/PDIF no problem. I use Audioquest Diamond USB cable from PC to Eitr.