IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

OK boss! Intention is to replace the already sold LPS-1 by ordering the new one as soon as money comes in. I received DC cable from Ghent. I do not know to what extent should we mention equipment associated directly with LPS uptone in this space.

21 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Okay, that is weird.  You mention both the tX-USBultra and the tX-USBexp.  One is a big external box, the other is a PCIe USB card that goes in a computer slot.  Which one causes the issue?

Also, in your experiment with battery, is the LT3045 you added inline one of Alexey's (LDOVER) DIY PCBs?  

And I assume that when you get the "buzzing" result with the UpTone LPS-1.2s you are not using the LDOVER boards in line after the LPS-1.2--correct?

And with the battery>LT3045 PCB experiment, do you hear the buzzing from the LT3045s themselves or from the 10uF caps on the output?

I mean tX-USBexp PCIE card.

Yes I am using the DIY boards from Alexey.

With the Uptone LPS-1.2, I use no LT3045 boards inline  after it.

With the battery, I think the noise is coming from the big rectangular yellow part in the middle of the LT3045 board.

Will continue this offline.

Thanks for your help

1 minute ago, jdoleys said:

OK boss! Intention is to replace the already sold LPS-1 by ordering the new one as soon as money comes in. I received DC cable from Ghent. I do not know to what extent should we mention equipment associated directly with LPS uptone in this space.

No worries! 9_9  Just did not want this turning into a troubleshooting thread for another brand's product (even one that John did the hardware engining for!).

5 minutes ago, kissov said:

Hey Superdad,

Any chance to purchase those right angle interconects you deliver with the LPS 1.2?  They are a good size coaxial and reasonable quality?  Thank you.

You mean our 27-inch/70cm 16awg coax DC cables with one of its 5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs at right-angle? Sure.  $5 each plus postage ($3 in USA for up to 3 pcs.; International First Class mail sadly costs us $13 for even just a few ounces; Canada is probably $9).  

It is not the sort of item I am going to list on our web site, so just send me a note via e-mail or our web page contact form (not via CA forum private message system please), and I'll give you our PayPal address to send funds to.  

Anyone have an idea of what the resale value of LPS-1  might be now that LPS-1.2 available?  Sorry, I don’t mean to turn this into a sales thread  but I assume a lot of you have sold and upgraded. 

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Synergistic Research Switch>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos Pulsar> Sablon EVO USB cable>Innuos Phoenix>Sablon EVO USB cable>T+A DAC 2000 >Enleum AMP-23r>Audience SX speaker cables>Raidho X1t or HiFiMan HE-1000se headphones. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner.

On 30/04/2018 at 1:40 AM, Superdad said:

So with the Bayite meter, the black wire goes to G (ground), the red wire goes to V (voltage), and the white wire goes to I (current).  To measure the voltage you put both the red and white wire into the V terminal (and always the black to the G terminal). 

@Superdad... bought this one (actually a three pack 9_9) on Amazon.it

just... what kind of "plug" do I need? wires are so thin I can't make them stick :|

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

13 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

@Superdad... bought this one (actually a three pack 9_9) on Amazon.it

just... what kind of "plug" do I need? wires are so thin I can't make them stick :|

+1........they just pop right out

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources                                                       

2 hours ago, pl_svn said:

Something like this:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/mill-max-manufacturing-corp/380-10-103-00-002000/ED10253-ND/8019516

MFG_380-10-103-00-001000.jpg.460a31778a40fb6ac41edc593b6e4196.thumb.jpg.ccdd880ee18f704f12806884bf30417a.jpg

I posted about it up-thread:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/38595-the-new-generation-ultracap-lps-12-user-impressions-and-questions-thread/?do=findComment&comment=788005

You will need to solder the wires into the cups of the connector.  I have never seen a .1" header plug (that's the spacing standard of these things) with screw terminals or other solderless connections--besides crimp pins of course, but those require an expensive crimp tool.

and... is this one likely to work? :|

oh... wait... must cut off that flange too 9_9

what are these things called, so I can lookout for one?

(using an approximate translation to italian  x-D)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

found the Digi-Key one you linked, Alex: €1,70 each + ... €18 shipping x-D

headphones system:

34 minutes ago, kissov said:

Sorry, All Electronics local to LA, but I believe Amazon has the connector with three pins and the correct spacing.

Well that is disappointing.  Getting the connector and pins is not the problem.  It is that one needs a specialized crimp tool ($100-300) to properly attach the pins to the wires before inserting into the white housing.  I have several such tools myself, but no desire to have my assistant sitting around crimping pins on cheap meter wires. O.o

I bought the 3 pin connector surplus with wires on it, cut the wires off and soldered the wires from the display on, put the little spring clips back in the while plastic housing.  The connector with wires attached were 4 for a dollar.

How about using bootleg ferrules? They are easy to crimp with cheap tools, but do anyone know the diameter of the Molex pins?

BTW there are square ones around as well if needed.

351DB74F-AA1C-469F-A700-711A8E928008.thumb.jpeg.c1fd71b2a78992e3442d6f5c34b60d36.jpeg

Ok I've had the upgrade to the LPS 1.2 in the system for about a week and Wow what an improvement, soundstage, bass definition are the big areas of improvement and everything is just "cleaner", then last night Roon upgraded to unfold MQA another leap in SQ, especially on older recordings. Thank you Alex. With the addition of the 1.2 and ISO I now have every product you make.  It started with you modifying my MacMini. You've made  my music listening experience  much better in so many ways for a very reasonable price.  Cheers.

Richard

I really hope I'm not too off-topic here... after all my questions are directly linked to the LPS1.2. 

1. What DC cable would be the best choice (let's say between a LPS1.2 and an ISORegen): Ghent Audio DC? MCRU Pure Silver Audio Grade DC Power Cable? Is there a better choice?

2. Does anyone have any experience with LPS1.2 and exaSound DACs? Can you power them with only one LPS1.2?

P.S. Thanks Alex and John for your amazing gear!

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

I had previously reported on the really nice upgrade I got from swapping the LPS-1.2 for the LPS-1 powering my ISO REGEN.  Shortly thereafter I moved the LPS-1 down to powering to the microRendu, in place of the second rail of the JS-2.  I’m not sure it immediately struck me that the swap delivered an obvious improvement.  A brand new Ghent DC cable might have been hindering it though.  Also the LPS-1 was being energized with the original Meanwell SMPS.

The new Uptone SMPS arrived a few days ago.  Listening now I’m hearing the most grain-free sound I’ve yet to hear here.  I really can’t say how much the SMPS swap is helping as past experience seemed to indicate that the Ghent DC cables do need some time to burn in.  I wonder too if maybe the LPS-1.2 needs some burn-in time too.   What I can say though is that the overall improvement I got from this series of moves was not at all subtle.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

This is my setup that is the best sounding so far.  One output of the JS-2 at 12V feeding the LPS 1.2. I made a Y for the output of the LPS 1.2 at 7V to feed the ISO and the upgraded micrRendu. The Y is made from two of the cables that come withe the LPS units, leaving the right angle connectors on one end and using an Oyaide 2.1 on the other. The other output of the JS-2 feeds my Uptone modified MacMini. Having said this I'm willing to try other setups to get the best SQ