Jump to content
Superdad

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, jjraffin said:

Can I politely ask - if users of the LPS-1.2 are using it to power their DACs, can you please mention the DAC model? I don't want to derail the thread, but getting information about which quality DACs can be powered by the 1.1A would be helpful (and Alex it might generate more LPS-1.2 sales...)

Chord Qutest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2018 at 9:20 AM, Superdad said:

Also Chord 2Qute now that the UltraCap output range extends to 12V.  B|

I am planning to use mine to power my Chord 2Qute and should be able to report out on results when it arrives (USPS says tomorrow). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To those that have the new LPS-1.2 and also the LPS-1.0,  I'd be interested in a head to head comparison between these two especially now the 1.2 is using the LT3045 regulator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2018 at 2:25 AM, jjraffin said:

Can I politely ask - if users of the LPS-1.2 are using it to power their DACs, can you please mention the DAC model? I don't want to derail the thread, but getting information about which quality DACs can be powered by the 1.1A would be helpful (and Alex it might generate more LPS-1.2 sales...)

HDTA Serenade Pro, SMSL M8, SMSL M8A, SMSL M9, SMSL Sanskrit 6th, and Muse TDA 1543's. The HDTA Serenade Pro being powered by a LPS-1 (shunted) is very good. I am looking forward to the upgraded LPS-1.2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2018 at 10:08 AM, tims said:

To those that have the new LPS-1.2 and also the LPS-1.0,  I'd be interested in a head to head comparison between these two especially now the 1.2 is using the LT3045 regulator.

 

Well here is a quote from an UltraRendu owner who received his LPS-1.2 over the weekend.  (Kevin lurks a lot here at CA but does not post, so he gave me permission to quote him.)

 

"Hi Alex,

First impression: you guys knocked it out of the ballpark. I just replaced my LPS 1 with the 1.2... no other change, and my system has never sounded better than it sounds right now (connected to an UltraRendu). 

Congratulations on a job well, no make that superlatively, done. 

Regards,
Kevin"

 

[EDIT: Looks like Kevin likes it so much he just ordered another.  Warms my heart! :)]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, peterzui said:

Really ?

"Device power supply" for the Qutest is specified as 5V/2A,  so the combination with the LPS-1.2 will (unfortunately) not work

 

Yes, really. :)  Rob Watts of Chord himself confirmed this right here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-qutest-dac-official-thread.869417/page-2#post-13964721

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, here's more info from a uRendu owner. I agree with Kevin that Alex quoted. But I am coming from an ifi power supply so I think it may be even more of an improvement. I got mine today and pickup'd pizza and have been enjoying my music ever since. I am using an Oppo 205 as my DAC and its balanced out directly into my gainclone amp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 1.2 arrived today and I’m using it to power a Chord 2Qute at 12v.  It’s replacing an iFi.

 

Didn’t have a ton of time for detailed listening tonight, but can already tell it’s a worthwhile improvement.  The 2Qute has good filtering, but even so, with the LPS 1.2 I’m now clearly getting more of all the good stuff.  Tighter and more defined bass, improved imaging, more mid-range fullness and resonance, elimination of a bit of treble harshness I’d get on some songs, etc.

 

I now have the key upstream components on quality power (AO optimized NUC server on sPS-500 at 19V, mR w clock upgrade on LPS-1, and 2Qute on LPS-1.2).  Well on my way to being off the grid! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Superdad said:
11 hours ago, peterzui said:

Really ?

"Device power supply" for the Qutest is specified as 5V/2A,  so the combination with the LPS-1.2 will (unfortunately) not work

 

Yes, really. :)  Rob Watts of Chord himself confirmed this right here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-qutest-dac-official-thread.869417/page-2#post-13964721

Thanks for your info; This is really great news!!!

Currently waiting for the delivery of my LPS1-2/ISO-regen combo, I have planned to replace my Hugo for a Qutest as a next step.

Wondering what would the optimal PS for the Qutest, I would be interested to read listerning impressions of the Qutest/LPS1-2 combination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Superdad said:

 

Well here is a quote from an UltraRendu owner who received his LPS-1.2 over the weekend.  (Kevin lurks a lot here at CA but does not post, so he gave me permission to quote him.)

 

"Hi Alex,

First impression: you guys knocked it out of the ballpark. I just replaced my LPS 1 with the 1.2... no other change, and my system has never sounded better than it sounds right now (connected to an UltraRendu). 

Congratulations on a job well, no make that superlatively, done. 

Regards,
Kevin"

 

[EDIT: Looks like Kevin likes it so much he just ordered another.  Warms my heart! :)]

Very interested in this. I use an Ultrarendu with my lps-1 through to a Hugo 2 DAC. Am very tempted.

 

Ade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bobfa said:

It has reduced sibilance that I was having in the system.  

Waiting for my LPS 1-2/ISO regen combo to be delivered; Sibilance is an issue I would like have reduced !

Hope it will bring this result to my system too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Received LPS-1.2 x 2 today, for PS Audio LANRover and Iso Regen, replacing LPS-1 in both cases. After a quick listen, things sound more expansive, but in my experience it takes a few days for things to settle down with the LPS power supplies — all of a sudden, there’s a huge improvement in bass and smoothness. Will report back in due course.

 

I’m using a Chord DAVE DAC.

 

@pl-svn: I have a friend here in the UK who wants to get a Qutest, but he’s been told they won’t be available until June/July, so I was surprised you’d got your hands on one. Since I’m thinking about selling one of my LPS-1s to him, how do you make the connection to the rear of the Qutest, which seems to have aa micro USB input for the power supplY?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After 48 hours of casual listening & burn-in, I conducted a fairly brief A/B of my ISO Regen with the original Mean Well P/S versus my new LPS-1.2 received several days ago.  Down-stream I feed directly to an Oppo Sonica DAC via the included Uptone USPCB adapter.  From there I use balanced XLR directly to a Parasound stereo amp.  Music files are played from a custom-built Win10 HTPC with latencies in the range of 50 µs or less using JRiver MC23 and an ASIO driver from Oppo with minimum latency buffer settings.

 

I have to say that even though I made the leap of faith to purchase the LPS-1.2, I was sceptical that my ears would be able to hear any real differences.  After all, we are talking about a power supply for a digital signal clean-up device!  Bits are bits!  The reason my A/B didn't take long is because the differences were not subtle.  I clearly heard improved soundstaging, better depth of soundstage, improved bass definition and dynamics, less glare for top-hats and cymbals, and improved transient harmonics and definition for pianos and violins.  A couple of songs I played which demonstrated these properties include: the plucked strings at 1:10 into the Agnes Obel song, "Aventine", the bass cello (?) at 0:33 in the same song and the entire same song for soundstage.  Another is Yo-Yo Ma & Company's, "The Goat Rodeo Sessions", song is "Quarter Chicken Dark".  The harsh mandolin strumming right at the begining of the song is now much less strident and has better definition.

 

Overall, my initial assessment is that I am impressed and very happy to have the LPS-1.2 in my audio system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2018 at 9:12 AM, Qstik said:

I have to say that even though I made the leap of faith to purchase the LPS-1.2, I was sceptical that my ears would be able to hear any real differences.  After all, we are talking about a power supply for a digital signal clean-up device!  Bits are bits!  The reason my A/B didn't take long is because the differences were not subtle.  I clearly heard improved soundstaging, better depth of soundstage, improved bass definition and dynamics, less glare for top-hats and cymbals, and improved transient harmonics and definition for pianos and violins.

 

That's awesome.  Really happy that you--and so many others--are pleased with the results of our efforts.  Thanks for posting!  

--Alex C.

 

P.S.  I see that this is your first post here at CA.  Whether you are truly new here or a long time lurker just now feeling compelled to write--a big welcome to you! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Mytek Brooklyn DAC + and my Mac Mini being driven by an UpTone Audio JS-2. That works VERY VERY well for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all,

 

My UltraCap LPS 1.2 arrived a day early this evening.  Nice job by FedEx I guess :-).  

 

The UltraCap is used to power my ultraRendu which is feeding a Schiit Gungnir multibit DAC.  My immediate impressions are very positive.  I'd say that mico-detail  is up and background noise level is down.  I'm probably hallucinating but that is the caveated first impression.  I'll try swapping the wall-wart and UltraCap a chance this weekend to see if I can hear a dramatic difference.  

 

I was skeptical that the power source for the ultraRendu acting as a Roon endpoint would make a difference.  A new PS for the DAC causing a noticeable improvement would make sense.  If anyone would like to comment on why a good PS for the ethernet endpoint would change the sound other than psychosomatically, please post a reply.

 

Bottomline, I needed to power the ultraRedu somehow and this seams to be a good way to do so. Happy listening.

IMG_0372.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris_B said:

I was skeptical that the power source for the ultraRendu acting as a Roon endpoint would make a difference.  A new PS for the DAC causing a noticeable improvement would make sense.  If anyone would like to comment on why a good PS for the ethernet endpoint would change the sound other than psychosomatically, please post a reply.

 

For me, getting clean power on the streamer was just as impactful as on the DAC.  My understanding from what I've learned from reading others here at CA is that noisy (EMI and RFI) power can flow through the streamer to the DAC and thus ends up affecting the analog output.  And filtering and isolation techniques in DACs are not 100%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look what was in my mailbox:) Can’t wait to get this in my system!! I sold my original LPS-1 about 6-7 weeks ago , and I’ve been anxiously awaiting its newly improved replacement ever since!! My system has not sounded anywhere near as good without it !! 

I will report back after some warm up time and critical listening!! 

F9832B7E-E8D4-4D9A-96B7-6C05CD16E53B.jpeg

1D15B6D0-D500-4B84-A99D-70CF37AA91C3.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, agladstone said:

 

side note: 

I’m Loving the new Amperage output meter that @Superdad suggested I buy from amazon!! 

It looks sooo cool and it’s great to see the voltage and amperage usage real-time!  

 

On 1/18/2018 at 1:25 AM, Superdad said:

 

Yes, this one specifically:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YALV0NG/

 

I want a meter too! Is this a DIY project requiring soldering or other materials, or can I just buy the Amazon part, and stick the wires into the 3 ports (GVI) in the back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×