IGNORED

Dac comparisons and upgrade path question

I own a Burson Conductor and until recently did not have the chance to compare it to anything. I went over a buddys house today and he owns a DirectStream and a Vega dac. we compared 3 dacs. We both thought that it was very close between the DS and Burson. I liked the Vega better. Had more weight in the lower mids. Vocals and textures seemed a bit better (no pun intended lol). All in all the Burson didn't seem to be outclasses badly. I really expected the ∫urson to get stomped on. I am looking to upgrade so now I am perplexed since both the dacs are more $ than the Burson, and the performance seemed close. (granted this was in a system I am not familiar with but still...) Any recommendations on what DACS should easily best my Burson <6k? 

VPI Classic II Benz Micro, Emotiva ERC-3, Auralic Vega, Modwright LS100 Pre, Wells Audio Inamorata, GR Research H Frame Sub, TWL, Transparent Audio, WyWire, MIT etc.

A lot of current low-mid priced DACs perform very well nowadays. There are some different flavors from power supply, and output circuitry types. The upwards path is marked definitely with diminishing returns for $ spent. Typically you really have to spend a lot more  than you paid for your current DAC to get much noticeable improvement. Again there are different flavors (sound signatures) at each price point. You might hear a new DAC in a similar budget category than your current DAC, and prefer it immensely. Everyone likes what they like.

Some differences involve connectivity, hi res numbers, DSD, etc. You have to look at your own library, and future expectations, when making some upgrades.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

The new iFi DAC supposed to come out in mid March sounds like it will be a contender.

Your results are just another example of the diminishing returns curve. The Burson is certainly a good DAC. Improvements from there get expensive. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Yes, I was surprised since the PS Audio is 3x the price of the Burson. It holds its own. Like Bones said, it was more of a "flavor" difference. Detail imaging were about the same. Thanks

VPI Classic II Benz Micro, Emotiva ERC-3, Auralic Vega, Modwright LS100 Pre, Wells Audio Inamorata, GR Research H Frame Sub, TWL, Transparent Audio, WyWire, MIT etc.

55 minutes ago, jimbones said:

Yes, I was surprised since the PS Audio is 3x the price of the Burson. It holds its own. Like Bones said, it was more of a "flavor" difference. Detail imaging were about the same. Thanks

My guess is many people would prefer the PSA, but that doesn't matter.  One of the things you pay for with the PS Audio is the constant free upgrades thru software. By all accounts, the DAC is continually improving. Improving and staying current -that is certainly worth quite a bit of change. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)